Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Prometheus

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Prometheus

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Saw it this weekend, and left it wondering if it was supposed to be a prequel or a retake on Alien(s), having not seen anything other than one preview of it a week ago (I literally watch no commercials unless its the 2nd half of a sporting event and have no choice because I've caught up to real time).

It was ok I guess, but given that it wasn't actually a retake of Alien(s) it seems incredibly lazy in borrowing plot points from the series and just rerunning them. Probably could have been much better having nothing directly to do with the series at all. Actually you would have to change way more than that to make it good.

Whatever, 1-2 sequels coming I'm sure. Anyone else see it?

Smart assed review I enjoyed reading:

http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Prometheus

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Greatly disappointed. Ridley Scott re-uses too much of the stuff he used in "Alien." In 1979, that was some scary shit (ET popping out of a human stomach, robot-cyborg who loses his head, haunting loneliness of deep space, etc., etc., etc.), but in 2012, it hardly registers a blip on the goosepimple-meter.

Seems like Scott was trying to provide his personal answer to "What is mankind, and how did we get here?" The mysticism worked much better in "2001: A Space Odyssey"; here, it takes a back seat to wild-ass creatures, interplanetary archeological digs and a deep-space alien birth.

Noomi Rapace: wasted. Guy Pearce: wasted. Charlize Theron: double-wasted.

Leonard Maltin:
I felt a tug-of-war going on between the cerebral and visceral elements, right up to the finale.

All I felt was a big yawn coming on for more than two hours.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Scott didn't write the movie, it was one of the Lost guys.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:36 pm

If it's all Damon Lindelof's fault, he oughtta be booted out of the Screenwriters Guild. But I gotta believe Scott had lots of input.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:57 am

jerryroche wrote:If it's all Damon Lindelof's fault, he oughtta be booted out of the Screenwriters Guild. But I gotta believe Scott had lots of input.

Interesting. I had a friend call me this weekend hyping Prometheus up big-time. And he has a strong personal dislike for Lindelof, so had every reason to be jaded against it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am

Most of the movie was really good. Honestly, I don't buy any of the citiques here, but I do agree with the general sense that it was a good movie that failed to ever get over the hump into great movie land. Damon just couldn't finish the script and it sucks, because there are the beginings of something really awesome here. I'm certainly not the only person with this take, but I tend to agree with it out of all of the noise surrounding the movie.

And the cast is great.

And Damon wrote the fucking movie, period. Sure Scott had input but it was Damon's damn movie... he didn't sign on to be a parrot for Scott. Director <> writer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

IIRC all the HMFIC of this are on record as saying it was neither a sequel or prequel, particularly Scott, and that it was mostly a "what if" approach.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am

It started out as a prequel to Aliens, but then they got "creative" and saw too many artistic ideas available and decided to branch out and create a new idea, which they then added a few Alien elements in to quickly explain how the aliens were created.

Personally I think they left the plot of the movie so mysterious leading up to its release to generate buzz ala what Abrams and Spielberg did with Super 8.

The Article is on IGN.com

As for the movie I liked it, it was what I expected. The only part I dont get is the scene at the beginning with the guy swallowing that goo, what was that about.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:As for the movie I liked it, it was what I expected. The only part I dont get is the scene at the beginning with the guy swallowing that goo, what was that about.

I haven't seen it, but my guess is you're getting Prometheus confused with one of your Kaz Tadano DVDs.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Scott didn't write the movie, it was one of the Lost guys.

Good Christ. That tells you all you need to know.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:As for the movie I liked it, it was what I expected. The only part I dont get is the scene at the beginning with the guy swallowing that goo, what was that about.

I haven't seen it, but my guess is you're getting Prometheus confused with one of your Kaz Tadano DVDs.

No I made that mistake a while ago, all the Kaz DVDS are now properly labeled.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:49 pm

It was aight. It's awesome eye candy, special FX are good. The plot is decent until the movie ends and you start thinking and talking about it.

I would save your money and wait for the blu-ray.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Most of the movie was really good. Honestly, I don't buy any of the citiques here, but I do agree with the general sense that it was a good movie that failed to ever get over the hump into great movie land. Damon just couldn't finish the script and it sucks, because there are the beginings of something really awesome here. I'm certainly not the only person with this take, but I tend to agree with it out of all of the noise surrounding the movie.

And the cast is great.

And Damon wrote the fucking movie, period. Sure Scott had input but it was Damon's damn movie... he didn't sign on to be a parrot for Scott. Director <> writer.

If that was the case he sure is copping out in that regard for interviews.

He bascially said that he had a safety net because he wrote what Scott gave him, there was already a draft when he came on....etc...
Last edited by JCoz on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:It started out as a prequel to Aliens, but then they got "creative" and saw too many artistic ideas available and decided to branch out and create a new idea, which they then added a few Alien elements in to quickly explain how the aliens were created.

Personally I think they left the plot of the movie so mysterious leading up to its release to generate buzz ala what Abrams and Spielberg did with Super 8.

The Article is on IGN.com

As for the movie I liked it, it was what I expected. The only part I dont get is the scene at the beginning with the guy swallowing that goo, what was that about.

If you are familiar with Lost then you have to see Damons fingerprints all over the mystery bit, nothing to do with any outside examples.

I just didn't like it because it wanted to be an Alien prequel and something else entirely at the same time, and in the end it just didn't do either well enough.
JCoz

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:25 pm

JCoz wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Most of the movie was really good. Honestly, I don't buy any of the citiques here, but I do agree with the general sense that it was a good movie that failed to ever get over the hump into great movie land. Damon just couldn't finish the script and it sucks, because there are the beginings of something really awesome here. I'm certainly not the only person with this take, but I tend to agree with it out of all of the noise surrounding the movie.

And the cast is great.

If that was the case he sure is copping out in that regard for interviews.

He bascially said that he had a safety net because he wrote what Scott gave him, there was already a draft when he came on....etc...

Where the hell is it that people are watching interviews of Damon freakin' Lindelof?

There is indeed too much media.
Hikohadon

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 pm

For me, I didnt watch one Hiko, after seeing the movie I wanted to see what the hell they were trying to accomplish and I came across it then in an article online.

However, what I also found was that there was a ton of stuff online prior to this release including entire forums dedicated to the movie with people speculating since last year, seriously, lol. Apprently every trailer, interview, news from the set was discussed for months....hilarious.
JCoz

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:25 pm

JCoz wrote:For me, I didnt watch one Hiko, after seeing the movie I wanted to see what the hell they were trying to accomplish and I came across it then in an article online.

However, what I also found was that there was a ton of stuff online prior to this release including entire forums dedicated to the movie with people speculating since last year, seriously, lol. Apprently every trailer, interview, news from the set was discussed for months....hilarious.

On that note, we should all be interviewed after each post we make, then set up a separate board to discuss our interviews.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
JCoz wrote:For me, I didnt watch one Hiko, after seeing the movie I wanted to see what the hell they were trying to accomplish and I came across it then in an article online.

On that note, we should all be interviewed after each post we make, then set up a separate board to discuss our interviews.

Can we interview each other?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 pm

pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Were you wholly responsible for that post, or did you collaborate?

Would you consider that post amongst your best work?

What kind of future posts do we have to look forward to from you?
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

That was all me. I am a wordsmith of the greatest skill. Sometimes there is an extra voice in my head, but not today. Today I am just me.

I would surely put that into my top 11,117 posts.

None. I am taking my talents to cleveland.com
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Can we interview each other?

That was all me. I am a wordsmith of the greatest skill. Sometimes there is an extra voice in my head, but not today. Today I am just me.

I would surely put that into my top 11,117 posts.

None. I am taking my talents to cleveland.com

Shocking news from Post 11117. The announcement of his leaving came as a complete surprise to the denizens of TCF. Rumors of rifts between Pup and the production company/front office had been swirling for weeks, but most felt the chasm could be closed.

One wonders if the grass at cleveland.com is truly greener. It truly is the Miami of message boards (insult intended to both). We'll all find out!
Last edited by Hikohadon on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:25 pm

So, anyone else gonna go see Brave this weekend?

I'm trying to figure out which showing I can go to and be assured I don't run into any sucker parents with their shitty kids.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm gonna load up on bath salts and sit right behind you in the theater.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So, anyone else gonna go see Brave this weekend?

I'm trying to figure out which showing I can go to and be assured I don't run into any sucker parents with their shitty kids.

Nah, Ill be seeing Abraham Lincoln : Vampire Hunter :dingle:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Whoever mdae that movie shoulld be kicked in the balls.

Yes im drunk to0/

so waht? Fuck you.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 am

I didn't see the whole film yet, just the first hour. Power went out at the theater and they sent us home.
Theme of the intro was these aliens leaving hints as to how to find them in space. The dude drinking the goo was an alien. My guess was that was this movie's "origin of man" hypothesis. This alien dude drank the goo and his DNA went into the water. Darwin takes over and life comes out of the water to eventually spawn life and man himself.

Maybe these alien dudes were leaving their DNA all over the universe in all the earth-like planets they could find, hoping their DNA would spawn life in a few of them (Kinda like Shawn Kemp spreading his DNA all over America). Then they left maps for how to find their alien lineage.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Spoiler alert if you haven't watched it.

We never got back to the theater to watch the rest of this film all the way through. Just watched it on 3D BluRay at home. I thought the plot had a ton of potential, but they really dropped the ball. Random plot lines. Ended up being just another Alien movie when it could have been so much more.

Stupid stuff:
1) On trillion dollar missions, why do they always put idiots they dragged out of a bar on these expeditions? You've got a guy who lights up a cigarette and says, "I am only in this for the money." Seriously?

2) If David's mission was to take the old man Weyland to meet a pre-human, why did he give a rat's hiney about the alien goo-bug stuff, and why would he plant it into a team member. Just another random stupid way to turn this into another alien movie.

3) Why develop the interesting concept that David took the roots of all human languages to come up with the ability to speak to these pre-humans and then David only says one sentence to the pre-human (which we are not even sure what he said). And then the pre-human does not answer, but beheads David. Potentially interesting plot line destroyed. I mean, why develop a plot line of communication and not even use it?

4) I think they could have gotten into some really deep crap with this whole "origin of man" concept, but they dropped the ball there the most.

Question: At the very end of the movie, when David and the girl head off in the "other" ship, do you think that ship was loaded with all that bio-weaponry like the first one was?

I am a big sci-fi fan. I think the old "Twilight Zone" writers could have done some neat stuff with a story line in this movie. Instead, it as Alien -1.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture