Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

11/22/63- Stephen King

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

11/22/63- Stephen King

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Anyone read it? Heard good things from a couple people at work and wondering if more trustworthy sources have a review.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: 11/22/63- Stephen King

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Mo Scratch read it IIRC. I'll eventually get to it. I've read mixed reviews. Endings to King books have been pissing me off as of late. I'm taking a break from him.

Under the Dome and this one will be the next two King books I read.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Nope, wasn't me. I read Under the Dome.

Too many words.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 pm

I read it. Solid book. Took me like 10 days. If you're reading it explicitly for JFK stuff, you'll be disappointed. Doesn't really get deep into that til halfway through.

What I enjoyed most, and so did plenty of others who have liked it, are the characters and the way life in the early 1960s is depicted. It's a bit nostalgic, but not all sweetness and happiness.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending. I might be in the minority on this one based on the reviews I've read. I think it kind of peters out, even though the book's like 800 pages long.

Overall, I wouldn't call it a typical Stephen King book. A bit of a departure. And it's well researched. He really did put his time into looking into the JFK assassination, and presents his own theory eventually.

I give it a thumbs up.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:I read it. Solid book. Took me like 10 days. If you're reading it explicitly for JFK stuff, you'll be disappointed. Doesn't really get deep into that til halfway through.

What I enjoyed most, and so did plenty of others who have liked it, are the characters and the way life in the early 1960s is depicted. It's a bit nostalgic, but not all sweetness and happiness.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending. I might be in the minority on this one based on the reviews I've read. I think it kind of peters out, even though the book's like 800 pages long.

Overall, I wouldn't call it a typical Stephen King book. A bit of a departure. And it's well researched. He really did put his time into looking into the JFK assassination, and presents his own theory eventually.

I give it a thumbs up.

Cool. Thank you.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 pm

swerb wrote:Endings to King books have been pissing me off as of late.

Never been a fan of many King endings.
IT.
A freaking psycho-drama-thriller.
Loved it.
A stinking clown terrorizing you with your biggest fears.
Pennywise the clown scared the poop out of me.
Turns out to be a ... (spoiler... highlight after the quote to see sentence finished)
freaking hungry alien spider hiding in a cave...
Are you kidding me??
Shoulda left Pennywise alone.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm

swerb wrote:Endings to King books have been pissing me off as of late. I'm taking a break from him

Although "The Stand" is one of the all-time greats, I've soured on King, too, for two reasons:

1) He needs an editor. I don't want to know what the characters in the main character's dreams are thinking. It's like King sits in front of the keyboard and just starts vomiting up words, and his publisher is afraid to cut into his 800- to 1,000-page abortions.

2) He often writes himself into a corner and can't extricate himself (or his main characters) from the perils he's spent the whole book building up to. Even "The Stand" needs a "deus ex machina" ending, which is at least a partial cop-out and the only really weak aspect of the story.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:32 am

jerryroche wrote:
swerb wrote:Endings to King books have been pissing me off as of late. I'm taking a break from him

Although "The Stand" is one of the all-time greats, I've soured on King, too, for two reasons:

1) He needs an editor. I don't want to know what the characters in the main character's dreams are thinking. It's like King sits in front of the keyboard and just starts vomiting up words, and his publisher is afraid to cut into his 800- to 1,000-page abortions.

2) He often writes himself into a corner and can't extricate himself (or his main characters) from the perils he's spent the whole book building up to. Even "The Stand" needs a "deus ex machina" ending, which is at least a partial cop-out and the only really weak aspect of the story.

Didnt read The Stand, but saw the miniseries when it first came out. But wasn't the actual "Stand" itself in the movie where they all went down to Vegas to make a "stand" up to the evil and just all got killed. I mean the whole movie seemed to build to that moment, and bang, they were all dead. Huh. That's it. Now, the movie didn't end there, but that was the actual "stand." Unless my memory has faded... and I am sure it has.

And I loved the concept of time-travel presented in the Langoliers. The idea that if you went back in time, no one would be there because they have moved on. However, the ending was a Pac-Man nightmare gone bad.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 am

jerryroche wrote:

Agree, The Stand has a terrible ending. Just rip those pages out of the book and you will be the much happier for it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture