Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Francis Ford Coppola: Maybe the Downloaders Are Right

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Just an interesting quote, nothing more or less.....

http://gizmodo.com/5747656/francis-ford-coppola-maybe-the-downloaders-are-right

Francis Ford Coppola: Maybe the Downloaders Are RightIn a new interview, acclaimed director Francis Ford Coppola takes a radical stance on issues of downloading, copyright, and art: Maybe the students downloading movies and music are right, he says. Maybe we artists shouldn't get paid.

Coppola, director of Apocalypse Now, the Godfather trilogy, and many more critically and commercially successful films, now largely makes his money from his wine business, granting him a financial independence that many directors seek but few ever find. He's also Nic Cage's uncle. And an unexpected ally of digital downloaders. Here's what he said to The 99 Percent:

We have to be very clever about those things. You have to remember that it's only a few hundred years, if that much, that artists are working with money. Artists never got money. Artists had a patron, either the leader of the state or the duke of Weimar or somewhere, or the church, the pope. Or they had another job. I have another job. I make films. No one tells me what to do. But I make the money in the wine industry. You work another job and get up at five in the morning and write your script.

This idea of Metallica or some rock n' roll singer being rich, that's not necessarily going to happen anymore. Because, as we enter into a new age, maybe art will be free. Maybe the students are right. They should be able to download music and movies. I'm going to be shot for saying this. But who said art has to cost money? And therefore, who says artists have to make money?

In the old days, 200 years ago, if you were a composer, the only way you could make money was to travel with the orchestra and be the conductor, because then you'd be paid as a musician. There was no recording. There were no record royalties. So I would say, "Try to disconnect the idea of cinema with the idea of making a living and money." Because there are ways around it.

It might be easy for Coppola, who has already found great success in and out of the Hollywood system, to take such a radical stance, but it's refreshing to see such a respected artist ask the hard questions nonetheless. Hopefully he gets seated next to that blowhard from Metallica at a dinner party sometime soon. [The 99 Percent via Kottke]
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Francis Ford Coppola: Maybe the Downloaders Are Right

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 pm

I use Torrents like a mofo, and I don't think i'm stealing. If I see a good movie I end up buying it anyways
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Great when multi-millionaires suddenly proclaim that maybe there's honor for future artists in poverty.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:45 pm

<--- down loaded stuff over the years, never heard this perspective before. IMO if you are down loading music/movies for your own personal use (and not in turning making money from the ordeal) then it is nothing more than borrowing. No different than giving your buddy a VH 1984 tape to high speed dub back in 1985. Except this is just higher high speed dubbing if you will. Nobody cared in 1985.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I see that old age has scrambled his gourd.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

FUDU wrote:<--- down loaded stuff over the years, never heard this perspective before. IMO if you are down loading music/movies for your own personal use (and not in turning making money from the ordeal) then it is nothing more than borrowing. No different than giving your buddy a VH 1984 tape to high speed dub back in 1985. Except this is just higher high speed dubbing if you will. Nobody cared in 1985.

Borrowing? You planning on giving it back when you're done with it?

Downloading music/movies for free without permission of the owners is stealing. It just is. I have no idea how you could see it any other way.

I'm not sure that nobody cared in 1985. They just couldn't do anything about it. Just like they couldn't do anything about burning CDs 5 years ago. Just like it's turning out they can't do anything about illegal downloads now. It's just that they are still trying with the downloads.

I'm not making any judgements, but it is what it is.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
FUDU wrote:<--- down loaded stuff over the years, never heard this perspective before. IMO if you are down loading music/movies for your own personal use (and not in turning making money from the ordeal) then it is nothing more than borrowing. No different than giving your buddy a VH 1984 tape to high speed dub back in 1985. Except this is just higher high speed dubbing if you will. Nobody cared in 1985.

Borrowing? You planning on giving it back when you're done with it?

Downloading music/movies for free without permission of the owners is stealing. It just is. I have no idea how you could see it any other way.

I'm not sure that nobody cared in 1985. They just couldn't do anything about it. Just like they couldn't do anything about burning CDs 5 years ago. Just like it's turning out they can't do anything about illegal downloads now. It's just that they are still trying with the downloads.

I'm not making any judgements, but it is what it is.

Borrowing with permission of the owner, owner of the CD. B/C that is all that file swapping is, one person putting the digital info on their hard drive and allowing another person to connect to that directory and down load it. You buy a CD it is yours, you are not permitted to profit from it but you sure as hell are allowed to let others use it, IIRC you can even load PC software on multiple computers without violating most copyright laws (more residential use than anything). You allowing me to down load an MP3 is sharing.

The problem becomes when profit is involved or course, and also with the determination of "fair use", like purpose or intent of use.

I run red lights too.
Last edited by FUDU on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FUDU

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 pm

You can easily just tape a song off the radio or a movie off TV (or DVR, etc) and have been able to for a long damn time, and I don't believe that's considered "stealing". Although, in the case of movies, they get the kickbacks from cable providers/stations that you pay for, or the advertisers on free TV, so you skipping those methods does cut into their revenue stream.

In the end... stealing, not stealing, I don't really care. I generally download my music through I-Tunes since I'm petrified of viruses, but if I found a site where I could (SAFELY) steal music for free, I doubt I'd stay up nights saying Hail Marys.
hiko

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm not pretending to be a saint and I know there is a legit reason for artists to be concerned. However EOD this needs to be labeled as what it is, it's an issue only b/c of how easy it is to do today, and b/c there is no equally easy way to combat it.

Funny thing is now after all these years it isn't about being free for me, I'd much rather pay a small amount to get a quality piece of digital music that I don't have to run through software to clean it up etc...

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 am

FFC has always been a pretty off the wall guy. Usually making his movies before he has studio backing. His idea is if he starts making the movie things will happen. It's a 50/50 prop for quality/bomb.

IOW his view is not as outlandish as you would think...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:54 am

I think FFC is making a point that art is not a commodity to the artist, and it is questionable whenther or not it is "owned". Most would see this as out there, I agree, but it is in the tradition of the Muse.

Just another way of looking at it. Some of these cats would be happy living homeless in Venice Ca as they would owning winery estate.

Like the words JCoz started the thread with, so it is.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 am

Dude's wine is pretty GD good.

His blended red, in the black bottle with the gold label and the little wiry cover ... can buy it at Costco for like $12/bottle. Closer to $20 at Heinens or other wine shops. And tastes like a $30 wine. It's very good.

Really good with a big fat mid rare steak or some pasta and sauce.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby hiko » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 am

swerb wrote:Dude's wine is pretty GD good.

His blended red, in the black bottle with the gold label and the little wiry cover ... can buy it at Costco for like $12/bottle. Closer to $20 at Heinens or other wine shops. And tastes like a $30 wine. It's very good.

Really good with a big fat mid rare steak or some pasta and sauce.

At least he can make one good thing these days.
hiko

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture