Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Sopranos - Final Season

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Unread postby intenso » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:17 pm

That would be completely out of character for Dr. Melfi.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:43 pm

That would be the worst ending possible.

Unread postby pup » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:12 pm

WTF?

Never been so confused, and disapointed in a show in my life. Such high expectations.

Worst final episode, even worse than the last Seinfeld, which is hard to even imagine.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:19 pm

I don't know why I had my hopes up. The ending to every season of the Sopranos has been disappointing.

David Chase will get his wish. He has produced the ending that will generate the most talk and speculation. He left Tony, Paulie, Silvio, the whole family, Melfi, and the rest of Tony's crew alive, as well as the remnants of the NY family sans Phil.

And he gets to make an assload of money off of a movie in a couple years. A movie that will likely suck.

Chase will bomb a project or two. Gandolfini will realize he's the most typecasted character actor in the history of Hollywood, unable to play any other characters. They'll al reconvene for a shitty movie in 2010 that will line all their pockets.

Final scene, the last in a litany of Godfather paralells. They were trying, IMO, to recreate the scene from I where Michael goes into the bathroom where the gun is waiting, then comes out and blows away Solozzo and McCauley. Meadow's parking troubles were likely meant to intimate that she would have gotten in the way of a bullet intended for Tony.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 pm

Garbage

Unread postby intenso » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:34 pm

FightDr wrote:Garbage

that says it.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm OK with it...pretty much expected it with the way things were going.

It's always been about the calm before the storm, and Tony's acting like everything is fine, but it's eating up inside knowing that Carlo flipped and he's about to be indicted.

From what I heard, the real ending was last week, Tony almost beaten and hiding in a safehouse sleeping with a gun. It was the eighth episode in what was supposed to be an eight episode season.

Just like last season, the next to last was the best, and the final one was just the aftermath.

Not anywhere as good of an ending as Six Feet Under or Rome, but not as "Huh?" as Deadwood.

Best thing? It spared me an hour of watching the Cavs blow chunks.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Just another reminder that the best HBO hour drama in history was not The Sopranos. Six Feet Under .... in a landslide.

Now that show was finished correctly.

And so much for all the leaked internet rumors about the final episode. Every one was wrong.

The backlash over this final episode is going to be fantastic. The hype was so high.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:23 am

I don't think there is going to be that much backlash.

I also don't think there will be a movie.

Life goes on...that's the whole thing. Chase was never going to let it be a conventional, cut and dried finish. I said all along that he'd never repeat Godfather 3 by killing Meadow, but it was an interesting tease to see if he'd repeat the original Godfather by having a guy go into the bathroom and grab a gun.

But maybe that's exactly what he did. Tony and Bobby were talking about death, about it being "suddenly just black, and silence". So just maybe the last thing Tony ever saw was the door jingling and Meadow about to step in when he got popped from behind in front of his family, just like Phil got it in front of his.

If not...Tony's worst nightmares will play out, which I'll get into tomorrow in more depth. Meadow marrying a man that will either be a lawyer against Tony's interests...or might end up working for him, making Meadow the next generation of Carmela. AJ has also been set up to join the organization, working to fill the role of "movie guy" and "club owner" that was once the relm of Christopher/Aide.

Given the night to think about it...I'm even more of the opinion that this was the right way to go. We expect too much in terms of always wanting "closure" and a neat (or bloody) conclusion...but that's not how life is. Chase always went away from the norm in this show...so it shouldn't be surprising that this is how he ends it.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Good points Mitch.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Crash Davis » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:31 pm

In an earlier episode, Bobby said, "You probably don't hear it when it
happens." The last thing Tony saw was Meadow coming towards him, he
never saw the hitman (like Phil didn't see the hitman when HE got
whacked). His attention was focused on his daughter coming in, not on
the hitman.

The screen went black because Tony got whacked, and you saw it from
Tony's perspective and that is what makes Chase so great. He got all of us to see the end through Tony's eyes.

The guy in the bathroom was nicky leotardo (phils nephew) and he was on the show one time before when they had a sit down about vito. tony also said himself that when it happens everything would go black and you would not know it. Phil was killed in front of his family, therefore Phil's nephew returned the favor and acted on his own killing Tony in front of his family.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Crash Davis wrote:In an earlier episode, Bobby said, "You probably don't hear it when it
happens." The last thing Tony saw was Meadow coming towards him, he
never saw the hitman (like Phil didn't see the hitman when HE got
whacked). His attention was focused on his daughter coming in, not on
the hitman.

The screen went black because Tony got whacked, and you saw it from
Tony's perspective and that is what makes Chase so great. He got all of us to see the end through Tony's eyes.

The guy in the bathroom was nicky leotardo (phils nephew) and he was on the show one time before when they had a sit down about vito. tony also said himself that when it happens everything would go black and you would not know it. Phil was killed in front of his family, therefore Phil's nephew returned the favor and acted on his own killing Tony in front of his family.

Shit, if that's the case, and it sounds right ... it gives me a whole new perspective on the ending. And makes my Chase rant seem foolish.

Of course, having thr Cavs down 20 halfway through the 2nd quarter on the picture in picture sure as hell didn't help my disposition last night.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 pm

I have not seen one episode of this show. All I have heard about is how bad the ending was. Mike and Mike, Rome, Kornheiser and Wilbon. This even popped up on Sportscenter.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Any idiot on EntertainmentCenter droning on about it being bad is all the proof that I need that it was great.

Those assholes even comment about "Dancing with the Stars" now, so the opinion of all the Jay Marriotti's of the world hold as much weight with me as Brittney Spears' comments about how "no one should question the president".

But I guess if the talking heads are bitching about the Sopranos, that gives them less time to rag on the Cavs.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 am

Chase talks about final episode, potential movie ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_ ... anos_chase

Lock this movie up for summer 2010

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm

Crash Davis wrote:The guy in the bathroom was nicky leotardo (phils nephew)...

For what it's worth, the site "Television Without Pity" (which I like a lot) says that this is not so and "has debunked it numerous times in the thread." The thread is up to 128 pages, so I haven't read the debunking, but I thought I'd mention it.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby BruceK » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Just remember Occam's Razon -- simplest explanations are the best.

Meadow is a chick -- chicks can't parallel park; nothing more, nothing less.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:50 pm

Detailed and plausible theory:

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Lebowski wrote:Detailed and plausible theory:

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

Wow. Great link! Thanks for posting ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture