Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Reghi Challenging Listeners To A Fight!

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Reghi Challenging Listeners To A Fight!

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Ziner wrote:SSS, what is your infatuation with posting a video with every comment you make lately?

Way to tell him Z Man!

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:17 pm

dick
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:19 pm

This is worse than an Insane Clown Posse song.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Ziner wrote:dick

Awe don't go all boo hoo on me. ;-) ;) :wink:
jb

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

So we have learned that SSS does not like Cow man because he dissed a ridiculous hypothetical caller who is a Prudue fan (shocker).

In addition, SSS must secretly be a Pittsburgh fan, why else would he be listening to ESPN 1250 in the Burgh and so well versed on grading them as a radio station?
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:10 pm

had nothing to do with the guy being a purdue fan, would have said the same if the guy was a fan of northwestern, texas, oregon, minnesota, washington..take your pick. The caller didn't know anything, which I said in the previous post, and I believe he would have been run by any other guy on sports talk you could name, ESPECIALLY JIM ROME, but I felt that cowherd handled poorly, fact is regardless the guy is pretty damn smug, and should be nowhere near the national spotlight.

also, on the pittsburgh radio thing, It...was...a...joke. Implying that the only thing worse than listening to shit cleveland sports talk, would be forced to listen to toothless inbreds call in to discuss roethlisberger, have never listend to that station, ever.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:18 am

**edit -Hondo Carpenter was the writer, just saw a link**

Listened to 850 on the way home yesterday hoping to get a recap of the presser. (Triv won't give an unbiased opinion of anything Gilbert/LBJ) Well the Reghi/Roda tag team was in full effect. They were interviewing a writer from East Lansing who has a personal relationship w/ Izzo. This guy was giving out some very good information and opinions of Izzo and his decision making process. This didn't sit well with the idiot brigade as their opinions were stifled for a few minutes. This writer was talking about the difference between Izzo going to the NBA and other collegiate coaches who tried and failed. He named some of those and reasons why they may had failed but Reghi interrupts with, "Larry Brown made the leap, so there you go" in his condesending tone. This guy should have had at least 2 segements to answer questions that the fans have but these guys (Munch somwehow made his way in studio) decided to end it with the riveting question of, "Going by what you know today, what are the odds Izzo takes the job?"

Here was a great opportunity to get a good sense of what could be happening with Izzo and insight to Izzo's coaching style from someone who reports on him daily. Only it was shut down because we needed to hear more of, "Here's what I think" and "This is just me talking" from Reghi.

Bring it strong, indeed.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 am

Also, when listening, never forget: Gilbert fired Reghi from his most repected job - NBA pbp. He's hardly objective.
jb

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:13 am

Hondo Carpenter called in shortly after having lunch with Tom Izzo.

And they thought they were going to trick him into spilling the beans.

Question is, if Izzo comes and LeBron leaves, does Hondo replace Windy?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

jb wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Galetti is the guy that needs to be given the KNR afternoon drive slot. While he isn't a Bill Needle in terms of sports knowledge he can talk sports without the arrogance of Reghi, or the lame whisper-yell rhythm of Munch. He is also a naturally funny guy that can swerve into other topics. Unlike Triv I don't think he takes himself too seriously, and IMO would not get on the irrational crusades that make Triv unlistenable at times.

I want to hear about C-town at least 85% of the time. I don't give a shit about 90% of what isn't C-town sports related and crap filler like NHL. Crosby vs Ovechkin, let's debate! Whoooo hooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want proof the national can be worse than even Reg? Turn on Coward for a week.

Great sports radio is only about 30% knowledge to not have bullshit / horrific takes (Roda's achilles' heel) . The rest is knowing how to ENTERTAIN. That's a combination of letting the callers be empowered and cultivating/ having regulars call, shutting the hell up behind the mike occasioanlly, and flat out engaging in plenty of buffoonery. And yes, that's Joe Bee's, cow bell, top men, Hammer's tongue in cheek dooshbag hata act, etc. Now, you may not find that humerous, but that is subjective. You probably are that segment keeping "Two and a Hal Men" on the air as well. Different strokes yo. If you want to be drop dead serious about sports, join CSML. It's still out there. Give up on radio.

That's the answer to why I listen to C-town sports radio when they have a host that is almost any good, i.e. Rizzo, Galetti, Drennan and Levine. Not perfect but not boring and not moronic knowledge-wise.

PS - YMMV. I'm jus explaining.

My milage varys very little because I agree with most of that. Even though you quoted me, I am guessing you were talking in a general sense when you said, "you" in that post. Hammer is great until he takes himself a little too seriously. There is the "heel" guy and then there is just plain suck.

YMMV
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Orenthal wrote:
jb wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Galetti is the guy that needs to be given the KNR afternoon drive slot. While he isn't a Bill Needle in terms of sports knowledge he can talk sports without the arrogance of Reghi, or the lame whisper-yell rhythm of Munch. He is also a naturally funny guy that can swerve into other topics. Unlike Triv I don't think he takes himself too seriously, and IMO would not get on the irrational crusades that make Triv unlistenable at times.

I want to hear about C-town at least 85% of the time. I don't give a shit about 90% of what isn't C-town sports related and crap filler like NHL. Crosby vs Ovechkin, let's debate! Whoooo hooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want proof the national can be worse than even Reg? Turn on Coward for a week.

Great sports radio is only about 30% knowledge to not have bullshit / horrific takes (Roda's achilles' heel) . The rest is knowing how to ENTERTAIN. That's a combination of letting the callers be empowered and cultivating/ having regulars call, shutting the hell up behind the mike occasioanlly, and flat out engaging in plenty of buffoonery. And yes, that's Joe Bee's, cow bell, top men, Hammer's tongue in cheek dooshbag hata act, etc. Now, you may not find that humerous, but that is subjective. You probably are that segment keeping "Two and a Hal Men" on the air as well. Different strokes yo. If you want to be drop dead serious about sports, join CSML. It's still out there. Give up on radio.

That's the answer to why I listen to C-town sports radio when they have a host that is almost any good, i.e. Rizzo, Galetti, Drennan and Levine. Not perfect but not boring and not moronic knowledge-wise.

PS - YMMV. I'm jus explaining.

My milage varys very little because I agree with most of that. Even though you quoted me, I am guessing you were talking in a general sense when you said, "you" in that post. Hammer is great until he takes himself a little too seriously. There is the "heel" guy and then there is just plain suck.

YMMV

"You" should have been "some people".....

Gotta go! Bump and run is on, yeeeeeee haaw!
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Anyone know why Jeff Thomas was let go from 'KNR? Asked upthread, might have been missed...

I remember the guy doing color for a Cleveland Lumberjacks game. Funny freaking guy, in that PG - PG 13 type of way.

"Let's all get drunk and play ping-pong." <- I am off tomorrow so it is my Friday!
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 am

Yes, he's a goner. Rizzo brought that up a couple of times, saying how much he hates the GM. Gave his email address out on the air. kwilliams@gkbradio.com

It was right about then they had this stupid listener poll that they'll never look at.

The same GM that is in love with Sabrina and won't put a leash on Hammer. So two of the questions on Survey Wednesday were, what two things do you hate about the RBS? Of course the most popular answers were Hammer, Sabrina, and the bumper music.

Of course everybody poo poo'ed it. So, don't expect any changes.

Did I mention, when Dan Patrick isn't talking about the four letter mothership, or his hair, he has some decent takes sometimes. And interesting guests. And no half hour movie critic binges... Although if you're too far north, you're stuck with Cowturd...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Reghi is so damn bitter at Gilbert he sounds like a whiny little baby. What a bitch.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Spin wrote:Did I mention, when Dan Patrick isn't talking about the four letter mothership, or his hair, he has some decent takes sometimes. And interesting guests.

+ 1

Like what DP does on radio.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Ziner wrote:Reghi is so damn bitter at Gilbert he sounds like a whiny little baby. What a bitch.

No doubt. He should recuse himself from discussion.

STO is really missing the boat not streaming Bruce and ABAO from the STO webite. galetti on podcast, too.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Holy crap Bump and Run is the greatest segment in local sports talk. If Reghi had any radio smarts he could totally roll with the crank callers. He is just so freaking arrogant...
Orenthal

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Orenthal wrote:Holy crap Bump and Run is the greatest segment in local sports talk. If Reghi had any radio smarts he could totally roll with the crank callers. He is just so freaking arrogant...

Turned him off today, couldnt take listening to that bitch. Anything in paticular or just the usual.... deeez nuts!
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Fine i'll go up there and beat him up for you. I guess I gotta do everything...

Now where can I find this idiot pickle puffer?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Ziner wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Holy crap Bump and Run is the greatest segment in local sports talk. If Reghi had any radio smarts he could totally roll with the crank callers. He is just so freaking arrogant...

Turned him off today, couldnt take listening to that bitch. Anything in paticular or just the usual.... deeez nuts!

Most of the good stuff probably never makes it on the air. Things about his son, him and balls, Rizzo's rug, deez nuts. A trained broadcaster can work with that...
Orenthal

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:06 am

Orenthal wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Most of the good stuff probably never makes it on the air. Things about his son, him and balls, Rizzo's rug, deez nuts. A trained broadcaster can work with that...

Do you stream or listen on the radio? All that stuff gets through when you stream.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 am

I had no idea that got thru on the net. I listen on the radio, but may have to check out the "uncensored" version.
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

You've got too many damn Italians on the radio.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Ziner wrote:
Orenthal wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Do you stream or listen on the radio? All that stuff gets through when you stream.

I've heard it on the radio before, him and roda were doing this, and he was calling them "Trick bag punks".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't get it.

here's a grand opportunity to troll the hell out of Reghi and this lame segment, yet no one on the board is taking it?

perfect opprotunity, see, "Gorgeous George"on Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Triple-S

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Apathetic to his show and anything about it. :thumbdown:
Spin

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You've got too many damn Italians on the radio.

Germans run a taught show.

No callers get thru , millions get cooked, but every break run on time. Only problem is it's boring.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Reason 568,483 Reghi needs to be off the air. Before I could turn it off this jackass he was talking about how people think we are getting Aldridge or Roy for Mo Williams and telling everyone in his fucking annoying smug attitude how that wouldnt happen. No. Fucking. Shit.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Ziner wrote:Reason 568,483 Reghi needs to be off the air. Before I could turn it off this jackass he was talking about how people think we are getting Aldridge or Roy for Mo Williams and telling everyone in his fucking annoying smug attitude how that wouldnt happen. No. Fucking. Shit.

Maybe this will be his topic for Bump and Run

"Who do you feel Portland should trade to get Mo Williams? Craft your answer intellegently and give it to me in 25 seconds or less.It's Bump and Run time, HAHA! Let's start it off with Jim in Chardon. Go Jim, bump and run with Reghi!"

Jim: "Rizzo's hair piece is...**click**"

Reg: "C'mon now get some new material"

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cease » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:11 pm

"Its jus not gonne happen."

Can't stand when he lays the street drawl on for effect, it makes me ill. Yes, the Reghi bashing continues, I'm starting to feel dirty.

But, not as dirty as his World Cup takes, which have been just manna from heaven if you are into unbelievable misery. Talking last week about our keeper, Thomas Howard. Stay in your lane, bro. You are on the radio.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Cease wrote:
But, not as dirty as his World Cup takes, which have been just manna from heaven if you are into unbelievable misery. Talking last week about our keeper, Thomas Howard. Stay in your lane, bro. You are on the radio.

Damn, good thing I turned him off. Reghi talking Soccer might seriously make me jump out the window. That must be what hell is like.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cease » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Ziner wrote:
Cease wrote:

Damn, good thing I turned him off. Reghi talking Soccer might seriously make me jump out the window. That must be what hell is like.

It was glorious. He took a call and everything.
Cease

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Can he throw out more pointless, "uh huh", "yeah", and "deluxe's". So many pointless interruptions of calls and interviews. Even when I want to listen, because of the Mo rumor, I shut it off after a few minutes.

ETA
Is this attack on bump and run organic? Usually a rival host sends an army at a rival show, but in this market, with Triv overwhelming #1 talker, that seems doubtful. 'KNR management was really f'd drivetime for the past 2 hosts. They are making Roda look like a Cleveland radio legend.
Orenthal

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:19 am

Really? No one has called in with the "Wife-beater" blast? Really? Or is that in poor taste?

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 am

Orenthal wrote:Can he throw out more pointless, "uh huh", "yeah", and "deluxe's". So many pointless interruptions of calls and interviews. Even when I want to listen, because of the Mo rumor, I shut it off after a few minutes.

He's got to interrupt because if he doesn't it means less of Reg talking and that's what the people want. :pb: It seems like this is the route that local talk has gone. Hosts won't let the fans engage in a conversation because the fans view may differ from the host and the host might get caught w/ their pants down on a topic. Lord knows we can't have the host looking bad or like an idiot if a caller makes an intellegent arguement. Triv has been living off this for a while now. He'll now longer debate anyone on the phone. Now he'll interrupt, call the person naive, and hang up and proceed to talk down to his audience.

Orenthal wrote:ETA
Is this attack on bump and run organic? Usually a rival host sends an army at a rival show, but in this market, with Triv overwhelming #1 talker, that seems doubtful. 'KNR management was really f'd drivetime for the past 2 hosts. They are making Roda look like a Cleveland radio legend.

No way could any other station feel threatened by the rubbish on 'KNR. The stuff people try to get onto BnR is all Reghi's doing. Lame topics, the feeling that the segment is really important and allows the fans to have a voice, and Reghi's ego all contribute to the Rizzo hairpiece and I pooped my pants jokes. Between this and the previous "Glass half full cafe" w/ Munch, Roda looks like Dan Patrick in 'KNR's eyes.

With all that said, I tune in just so I can hear the day Reghi finally loses it on air and violates 13 FFC rules.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Nothing to debate with that LB. The 'KNR problem is they are too damn cheap to bring in any proven radio talent, that talent probably isn't in Cleveland outside the few names already mentioned here, and all their "young talent" is trying so hard to be an unholy union of Reghi and Rome.

Fedor, Ruiter(sp), Hammer all have the same problem. They have an in your face style (Rome), fight their points till death, not truth, (arrogant-Reghi), and are generally total douches. Why in the Wide World of Sports would they ever insist on shoving that bumper music down our throats every single day. At some point doing something that 90% of your audience hates is just stupid. They cannot even insult callers properly.

Just "running" a guy 2 seconds into his call isn't funny when you do it to 50% of your callers. Also you usually want to lead a caller into making an even bigger ass of himself, without him catching on, and the audience knowing what you are doing every second of the way. You keep these messes on the air while taking them apart in a very passive aggressive way. This is Radio 101.

I don't know why I care so much, must be because I got rid of the XM and miss O&A, a quality radio show.
Orenthal

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Roda joining Reghi's show. I actually don't mind Roda, but I know a lot of people do. However, I get the feeling that some of those people have done an about face after having to deal with Munch and Reghi in that slot.

Roda should make the show better, but not sure it will be enough to overcome Reghi's many faults and oozing arrogance.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 pm

I hated Roda until Munch and then Reghi, and everything like that.

Roda's a Pittsburgh guy, but also a BW guy, and he took the high road when KNR decided to showcase other "talent" for a while, and everything like that.

Not sure how the Roda Reghi combo is going to sound. Who's going to take the lead, if they are going to disagree, or have a decent pace, and everything like that.

I still get a chuckle out of his Coach Lucas and Charlie Manuel impressions. Hope he can come up with some fresher jokes, and learn to finish his thoughts with authority, and everything like that.
Cease

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 am

Cease wrote:I still get a chuckle out of his Coach Lucas and Charlie Manuel impressions. Hope he can come up with some fresher jokes, and learn to finish his thoughts with authority, and everything like that.

::doh::

Say it ain't so, Cease. Does the same go for his Brad Daugherty impression? ;-) ;) :wink:

No matter what 'KNR does with Reghi, whether it's teaming him up with Roda or keeping him solo, it's gonna be the same trainwreck. Everything w/ him is:
I feel...
My opinion...
This is just me...

When he does engage a caller, whatever opinion is thrown out there gets shot down because, in Reg's opinion, the caller is wrong because the caller didn't do play by play for the Cavs, Reg did. He knows all. He's not biased when it comes to Gilbert b/c Gilbert is the one who gave him his pink slip, so now everything Gilbert does is just Gilbert burning money.

If the hosts on 'KNR would give callers half a chance they might get some good dialouge back and forth and maybe get a different perspective on their opinion. Most of them however feel their opinions are indeed fact (Hi Brinda) and no matter what a caller says, it'll be wrong.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cease » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Cease wrote:I still get a chuckle out of his Coach Lucas and Charlie Manuel impressions. Hope he can come up with some fresher jokes, and learn to finish his thoughts with authority, and everything like that.

Say it ain't so, Cease. Does the same go for his Brad Daugherty impression? ;-) ;) :wink:

We all have our demons. I guess this is mine. In my own defense, I might catch 5-10 mins of local sports radio a day- so I'll hear the Lucas/Manuel every 3-4 months- just enough time between.

To your point, the element they don't handle well is the callers. No interaction- just positioning their own point no matter what the caller says or completely blowing the caller off. It's a downward spiral as callers get worse and it leaves even less room for an exchange.

Got to go sync my iPod...
Cease

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:59 am

Cease wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

We all have our demons. I guess this is mine. In my own defense, I might catch 5-10 mins of local sports radio a day- so I'll hear the Lucas/Manuel every 3-4 months- just enough time between.

To your point, the element they don't handle well is the callers. No interaction- just positioning their own point no matter what the caller says or completely blowing the caller off. It's a downward spiral as callers get worse and it leaves even less room for an exchange.

:thumbdown:

Good Lord. How in the world can you like that? Those impressions actually make me angry they are so annoying. In fact, those 2 impressions are probably the biggest reason that I can't stomach listening to Roda at all anymore. I have trouble thinking of something on KNR that I hate worse than Roda's Lucas and Manual impressions.

And that includes that stupid, unfunny, pointless, semi-retarded bimbo on Rizzo's show. You know, Goldhammer.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

I was stuck with just a radio Sunday night and couldn't stomach anything on either of the sports stations. It wasn't late enough to pull in Chicago or New York. So I listened to WTAM.

After the Tribe post game show, Art McCoy comes on with his show "Black on black crime". Oh boy, this is usually where I find another AM station (or switch to one of the classic rock stations to hear their 10 song loop). He's opinionated. And of course the topics are very polarizing. But he let the callers talk. Even (especially) the "Suburbanites". He might not have agreed with them. But he never hung up, and he kept the callers talking. He even CONSIDERED what they were talking about.

It wasn't the most entertaining show I've ever heard, but I started thinking, man, I wish he did sports talk. He could wipe out half of those hacks without even trying.

That's sad.
Spin

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:38 pm

The problem is with that station is they refuse to try out new people, it's just a list of recyclable schmoes that have been on the air before

was driving to work saturday, and this was all during the soccer game between Ghana and the US while it was in overtime, I flipped on 850, fully expecting coverage of said game, NOPE, was Greg Brinda bitching about baseball with some callers while Chris Fedor was updating the game and reminding those that you could catch the on KNR2.

I don't live within a mile radius of the galleria mall, so thus I was unable to even receive any signal. But beside that, really? you're going to put a soccer match that was fairly highly rated and on national television for that matter on a station that no one else can get, so we can hear Greg Brinda talk?

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm

^^ It's not so much the refusal to try out new people (Goldhammer, Fedor) it's that every host follows the same pattern and it becomes all about THEIR opinion. I was doing errands Sunday afternoon while the Tribe was in a delay. Fedor put the question out there that if you were Dan Gilbert, how would you sell the Cavs to LBJ. A caller (female) came up with 3-4 very good points to show TMLP's pitch. Fedor cut her off, a lame excuse about coming up on break, said she made some good points but that Fedor didn't agree with them. So instead of debating her, as she sounded very knowledgable, he dismissed the call and gave his opinions for another 10 minutes (so much for that break).

Would you really listen to soccer on the radio?
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Would you really listen to soccer on the radio?

:lmfao:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Would you really listen to soccer on the radio?

In that situation and that situation only. I mean, we're not talking the MLS here. but, if the US National team is in a rather pivotal game in the World Cup, I would like to think that would take precedence over Greg freaking Brinda.

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Triple-S wrote:In that situation and that situation only. I mean, we're not talking the MLS here. but, if the US National team is in a rather pivotal game in the World Cup, I would like to think that would take precedence over Greg freaking Brinda.

You had the option of KNR2 to listen, they made it available. I'm sure the execs figured that instead of listening to play by play, listeners would rather get updates. (which they did on Brinda's program) The execs probably figured that broadcasting the US/Ghanan match would turn listeners to another station and rather than risk their weekend listenership, they gave the option of listening to KNR2. Just a business decision, nothing more, nothing less.

Sounds to me like you need to get a whip antenna for your ride!
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cease » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Cease wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

:thumbdown:

Good Lord. How in the world can you like that? Those impressions actually make me angry they are so annoying. In fact, those 2 impressions are probably the biggest reason that I can't stomach listening to Roda at all anymore. I have trouble thinking of something on KNR that I hate worse than Roda's Lucas and Manual impressions.

And that includes that stupid, unfunny, pointless, semi-retarded bimbo on Rizzo's show. You know, Goldhammer.

I also like flat Pepsi and Sinbad Live at Morehouse College. These things I can not change, and I can not run from.

You go to McDonalds, they don’t even have numbers on the cash register no more. Got pictures of food. If you know what a french fry look like, you become the manager. You the smartest one there

But I digress... IMO, WKNR serves an audience that is much lazier and less informed that the average TCF poster. Just like the classic rock station, the oldies station and the country station. It is a much larger audience and they know how to position themselves to the masses. You've got to step outside yourself to realize they would have 10 idiot listeners than one "you."
Cease

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

LB listening to soccer on the radio was worth it due to Tommy Smyth doing color. Awesome over the top Irish accent (he came to the US in '69), and a hole bunch of colorful phrases that border on FCC violations.

Your Fedor point is dead nuts on. A couple Saturdays ago while on a job he was barking about how Scott was the only logical choice for coach. This was while Izzo was being courted and Fedor asked for opinions as to why anyone would choose Izzo over Scott. He took 3-4 calls that made solid points, yet he would just blather on and on about HIS opinion being right. Again, even the "young talent" they have has the Reghi arrogance.

Not a single host there knows how to handle callers. Bump and Run could be the best segment in drive time if Reghi had any humilty, or was absent his mountian of hubris.

I'm looking forward to the X's and O's guys being given a show during drivetime. LeCharles and Je'Rod were pretty funny in the 15 minutes I was able to listen while filling in on tRBS.
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Triple-S wrote:The problem is with that station is they refuse to try out new people, it's just a list of recyclable schmoes that have been on the air before

was driving to work saturday, and this was all during the soccer game between Ghana and the US while it was in overtime, I flipped on 850, fully expecting coverage of said game, NOPE, was Greg Brinda bitching about baseball with some callers while Chris Fedor was updating the game and reminding those that you could catch the on KNR2.

I don't live within a mile radius of the galleria mall, so thus I was unable to even receive any signal. But beside that, really? you're going to put a soccer match that was fairly highly rated and on national television for that matter on a station that no one else can get, so we can hear Greg Brinda talk?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still better than soccer on radio.

"And the far blade of grass grows! WOW! And the far garbage can rusts!
jb

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture