Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

movie about may 4th

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

movie about may 4th

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed May 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Web rumors are rife about "Twilight" hunk Robert Pattinson being chosen as the lead in "Ohio," a movie based on the 1970 slayings of anti-Vietnam War protesters during the uprising at Kent State University.

The rest of the cast is rumored to include other hot male stars Zac Efron and Justin Timberlake.

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2009/ ... patti.html

anyone else hear of this?

sounds really, really gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

also, the people that protest on may 4th are a-holes, but that is for another time.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: movie about may 4th

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu May 20, 2010 8:56 am

So what is gay about it? The movie idea itself or who they've chosen to play in it?

I'm sure the movie will be more about the entire weekend (May 1-4) rather than just the day of the shootings.Maybe it''l focus on the day of the shootings and than focus on demonstrations and similar shootings (Jackson State) on numerous college campuses following the incident.

Movies have been made about much less significant topics. I think, if done correctly, this could be a very good movie and lesson.

YMMV
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 20, 2010 9:21 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:So what is gay about it? The movie idea itself or who they've chosen to play in it?

I'm sure the movie will be more about the entire weekend (May 1-4) rather than just the day of the shootings.Maybe it''l focus on the day of the shootings and than focus on demonstrations and similar shootings (Jackson State) on numerous college campuses following the incident.

Movies have been made about much less significant topics. I think, if done correctly, this could be a very good movie and lesson.

YMMV

just the actors they've chosen for the lead roles, have no problem with this being covered in a movie, just feel that the choices for actors make it seem like a tween movie, rather than a look at one of the turning points in the public opinion on the Vietnam War.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 am

Triple-S wrote:
Web rumors are rife about "Twilight" hunk Robert Pattinson being chosen as the lead in "Ohio," a movie based on the 1970 slayings of anti-Vietnam War protesters during the uprising at Kent State University.

The rest of the cast is rumored to include other hot male stars Zac Efron and Justin Timberlake.

also, the people that protest on may 4th are a-holes, but that is for another time.

A movie dealing with that kind of topic is not going to be best served by teen heart throbs and pretty boys.

Get someone who can act
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby jb » Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 am

Lot's of bad movies on this subject have been made. It'd be nice to see a good one if possible.

I gotta say that JT wasn't bad in Alpha Dog.

:hide:

But I herad another rumor that Justin Beiber will also star as a runaway young hippy kid. That true?

hey, so long as they have Megan Fox living out what used to be KSU freshmen week back in the day, I'd pay.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

maybe they need to go a different direction and make it a pixar flick?

seriously, just a weak effort if you're casting tween heart throbs as the leads.

Triple-S

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

A movie dealing with that kind of topic is not going to be best served by teen heart throbs and pretty boys.

Get someone who can act

Thank you!

I, however, have no hope whatsoever for anything less than a biased, slanted view

I viewed all Vietnam War protests as nothing more than a collection of spoiled spoon-fed cowards patronzing the enemy....still do....and there is no way in hell, imho, that the blame for this tragedy will be projected as it should...on all parties

I don't care about the specifics of who, what, where, when, how, why, if, when, any order was given to fire anymore than I do about My Lai but, again, jmho, when violent protestors burn down ROTC buildings and riot in the streets then maybe, just fucking maybe, classes should have been cancelled and morons getting drunk and doped up on their daddy's nickels shouldn't be assembling to taunt uniformed troops carrying loaded rifles

Fair? Balanced? Informative? A true intellectually honest accounting of events? Anything less than Nixon's fault?

NO------FUCKING-------WAY
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby General » Thu May 20, 2010 2:49 pm

As long as Neil Young does the music and there is plenty of gratuitous nudity featuring alot of untamed hippie bush, I am cool with it.

Seriously though, I am with FMB, I am sure that this one will come out poorly from the troops point of view. I was 8 at that time but actually having to level a weapon at someone on guard duty during my Marine Corps tour, well let's just say there is alot of fear on both sides of the muzzle.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

FMB & Deano, I dunno. I think overthe years most of the public sympathy has been for the guardsmen as exhausted kids off a truckers' strike being outnumbered.

I do know that a) this is one of the most significant events in US history and essentially closed the door on the 1960's as most people perceived the 60's, and b) this even is oversimplified into cartoonish black and white most of the time as if it is nancy and Sluggo when what it is , is really a technicolor tragedy any way you look at it.

It is where it should be now for anyone not named "Canfora"; a great learning opportunity of mistake to never repeat. Unfortunately, as a nation we are ignoring them. We're just DAMN lucky there is no draft, or you'd see the same polarization on college campuses. Right now, the wars are a NIMBY issue. I can't recall whose sig line it is about there's a war on and America is at the mall, but that is spot on.

Again, the next time this issue is dramatically presented intelligently on film will be the first. I can't disagree that my expectations based on Efron and that pasty vampire goodball are in line with an exception.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm

jb wrote: I can't recall whose sig line it is about there's a war on and America is at the mall, but that is spot on.

That was mine taken from this great mini-documentary about Echo Company Marines in Afghanistan. It's real no censor. The pot and poppy fields are friggin huge.

http://www.vbs.tv/newsroom/obama-s-war--4

Vice TV has alot of interesting shows. The stuff on North Korea is outstanding and funny.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

"soldiers are cutting us down"...fuck Neil Young and Canuckland. I remeber a concert film back in the 70's with CSNY and Stills got called out by a fan as a phoney POS and Stephy damn near started crying......

Draft dodgers and traitors to Canada

John Kennedy started this war

Johnson lied about the Gulf of Tonkin

58,000 on The Wall

58,000 on The Wall
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby jb » Fri May 21, 2010 9:22 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:"soldiers are cutting us down"...fuck Neil Young and Canuckland. I remeber a concert film back in the 70's with CSNY and Stills got called out by a fan as a phoney POS and Stephy damn near started crying......

Draft dodgers and traitors to Canada

John Kennedy started this war

Johnson lied about the Gulf of Tonkin

58,000 on The Wall

58,000 on The Wall

FMB, respecting you and your service and not trying to strat shit for once, I still have to ask...

Draft dogers? Si.

Traitors? How exactly?

Who should have stood up to the government out of control fighting an immoral unjust war without causus belli, and when is that sedition?

Man, I get the lifelong anger disrespect shown nam vets. Really do. But those people in the streets helped end that cluster fuck and probably saved many more thousands of good soldiers and kids from what the vets went through for ultimately no reason other than abused patriotism and the men on either side of them. They never should have been adversaries and should have connected against the real culprets.

And Kent was a complex mix of agitators, radical shiek dooshnozzles, criminals, innocent student bystanders wondering WTF was going on, a state governor trying to score political points, an undertrained and over tired ONG, and a university administration of lifelong academics that was a 10 point buck seeing a panzer convoy with their bright on coming at flank speed.

The only surprise is it happened at Kent. Apathy U.
jb

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri May 21, 2010 11:46 am

Protesting in the streets while carrying Communist flags is nothing less than 'providing aid and comfort to the enemy'

I may have taken the word out of context some but you have to agree, it made for a good counter to Neil Young's tripe.... :pop:

I get that some people actually believe that the protests helped end the war....and I vehemently disagree to no end as would likely 90% of all Nam Vets, esp those not REMF's.

Believe me you'll not present a scenerio to me that hasn't been rehashed in my own mind continuously over the last 40 yrs of VN in any way shape form

I spent yrs arguing Vietnam from both sides of the issue...yes it was just, no it wasn't, yes we lost, no we didn't...woulda shoulda coulda....

Not a one of them was on 'our' or 'my' side

They were the enemy as sure as was Sir Charles and the NVA

Nixon gets all the blame for VN and thats just a train load of unmitigated bullshit...he ended it. Its why every time I see his name and VN I'm going to mention Truman, Kennedy and Johnson....and that POS Jimmah Carter who gave amnesty to yellow the bellies

You let me know dude the next time you talk to a Nam POW and he agrees with your take on protests and protestors

Not that it isn't their right...it is...just like it is for the Robert Byrd and the Klan...but it is what it is. Counterproductive to the military mission

It wasn't about their fucking morality or the justness of the war...it was about getting drafted and having to leave behind all that partying and all those drugs

In any event, very very very very few know what happened in the field on a day to day basis. Most have no clue as to the good that we did there and when people research the war, I doubt they're looking for good. They want My Lai and Hamburger Hill

Every time we enetered a ville it was a parade of villagers bringing their sick to us medics for treatment...sometimes even arranging medivacs for kids with tumors the size of their heads, cleft palates, diseases etc etc etc

I showed you Peek and wabo some pics of burning hooches and airstikes, but I've yet to download the ones of kids and simple living among the villagers who were always glad to have US around

Even when I finally got to the rear we went out on what were called Medcaps in jeeps filled with supplies to treat sick and wounded....

America was at the Mall then, too

No, the protests had only one successful outcome to their credit.

They permitted the North to drag out negotiations for nearly 2 yrs over the shape of the Peace Table...and for those that think this is FMB hyperbole, its not....its a fact

I agree, KSU was a monumetal clusterfuck of epic proportion....but I mostly blame the rioters and the adminstration and disagree that most see the NG troops as you do

There is no forgiveness from FMB or his Bro's for draft dodgers or war protestors. They were NOT on our side and guys like Blumenthal, a 6 time dodger who now wants to be one of US, just rekindle the loathing and contempt for his kind

In any event, it is impossible to say you support the troops while carrying placards and the flags of the enemy in parades protesting the mission they are in the midst of undertaking

There is a natural disconnect between those who've served violently and those who never served at all...it cannot be breached with a set of jumper cables
so I understand how and why some have a prob with me and/or mine

Too much to say, too little time, and I hate typing...

...and I have to start getting ready to go to DC and protest next week.... :thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby jb » Fri May 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Last word on this sort of thing is always your, bro. I just wanted to ask and see what you thought.

Enjoy the ride.
jb

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture