Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Netflix

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Netflix

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Anybody have any Netflix experience? Good bad? Worthy service? I'm done with paying for Directv and I'm putting up an outdoor antenna to get free tv and thought with the cost savings I could spring for a Netflix subscription. What's the general consensus on their service? I have a PS3 in the kid's room and was going to move it out of there to stream stuff to the big screen in the living room.
municipalmutt

Re: Netflix

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Love Netflix, been with em for over 3 years now...

I subscribe to the 1 @ a time, unlimited plan...costs about $11 for Blu-Ray, cheaper for dvd's...

We once had a problem with a disc that they sent us and after we reported it, they gave us a month free of 2 @ a time...

As far as the streaming goes, it's alright if you don't care about newer movies or HD? You can only stream back cataloged movies and most of it is in standard def...

I'm guessing you had problems with DirecTV? Kinda comparing apples to oranges with Netflix...But 1-2 months payment to DTV will pay for your annual Netflix
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Agree 100% with waborat. I've been with Netflix for about 2 years now and absolutely love it....especially after the football season has wrapped up. I've only had 1 dvd/blu-ray disc not work, I reported it and they sent me a replacement disc out that day.

The only other thing I'll add, is that the streaming through the PS3 is good for catching up on some tv series. Just for example I'm watching season 5 of Lost, season 4 of Heroes, and I was able to catch the first 2 seasons of Weeds (although only seasons 1 and 2 were available.)

Also, gotta give props to Mitch and Swerb and their top 100 lists. I've seen some good flicks that I wouldn't have ever heard of if it wasn't for them. Their lists are definitely worth checking out.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks.

Yeah I'm just cutting back on stuff I don't need. I've had Directv from the start. Back when it cost 19.95 for the whole lineup and there was another satellite company called USSB that had the HBO stuff. My bill now is 89 bucks for total choice plus locals and the HD access. Seems pretty steep for basic tv service since I don't have any premium channels.

I looked at other options like cable, Dish Network, and AT&T Uverse. Cable service pretty much sucks here with Brighthouse, Dish wants a two year commit, and AT&T Uverse is the same price as what I've got now. I will replace the existing Directv dish with the antenna and get about 10-20 channels in high def for free. With all the worthless channels on Directv, I end up watching old sitcom reruns or rerun game shows anyhow so it won't be any great loss.
municipalmutt

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Just to touch quickly on the streaming video - it's definitely getting better. Both in quality and selection.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby BroncoFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Been on it for about 3 months now and have to agree with the other posters. I still have DISH but dropped HBO that was closting me 15/mo. I will catch up to series programs about 6 months after the first run (Dexter, Mad Men etc,) but I can now get good shows from other networks that I wasn't subscribed to (see examples above that were not on HBO or my DISH subscription plan).

Turnaround is great on the movies. My guess is they have an arangement with the P.O. so that once it gets to the P.O. it is scanned and considered returned and your next one is on the way. Usually it is no more than 2 days between sending and getting your next dvd.

I am on the 8.99 plan, one out at a time but unlimited per month, and we are definately getting our money's worth.
BroncoFan

Favorite Player: John Elway
Least Favorite Player: Phillip Rivers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 pm

I've been doing netflix for years and have absolutely no complaints. In the rare case that a disc is damaged (only happened a couple of times) I just sent it back and got a new one. No big deal. It never even occurred to me to try to get a free month or 2.

I did have to buy a movie I lost. It was like $20 or something and I'll get refunded if I ever find it and return it. If I had reported it sent and lost in the mail I'm sure it would have been no big deal and I'm sure they wouldn't have charged me (but it would have been a lie).

I haven't tried to figure out what I need to do to get the streaming video yet.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 am

I have been using it on and off for 3-4 years now. Awesome service, excellent speed on getting DVD's to you. if you have a DVD burner, you can probably burn up to 25 a month depending on your plan. The streaming video is great as I just started watching Lost.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby BruceK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I've used them for a couple of years - as long as you don't need immediate gratification it's better than HBO.

I can mail a disk from downtown Cleveland on Monday, and the next disk is at my house on Wednesday. When I first signed up, the nearest office was Lansing, so its a lot better now.

I'm on the three at a time plan (three people with different tastes in my household) and occasionnaly when we order something offbeat that doesn't have a lot of copies and is temporarily out - they send the next pick on the queue, and then send the skipped one, so that you temporarily get four at once.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't watch many movies at the theatre or on DVD but Redbox is $1 a shot and can be reserved on line. Their selection can't be good for the true moivie buff but for the very casual movie consumer it is a great value. you can rent 9 per month and still have the same cost as netflix. of course you also have to be responsible enough to take them back by 9 pm the next day.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture