Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Movie:Dear John

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Movie:Dear John

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 am

Not a movie buff at all but i know crap when i see it. This is a really bad movie. The acting is ok but the story line is so flawed that i honestly can't believe they did not take a look at the finished product and see a need for a re-write before releasing. At critical parts of the movie I did not care what happened to the characters and was not at all drawn in to the premise. This can be called a "movie about nothing" as really nothing happened. This was so bad that the sub plots were more interesting than the main story line and i cared more about minor characters than the two main characters. The wife wanted to see this even though afterwards she told me that the review was pretty much what we both thought of the movie. I think this actually kicked Avatar out of first place at the box office. I can't see this making it past about 4 weeks as word of mouth reviews will kill this.

I have seen most of the Nicholas Sparks movies and they are definite chick flicks but are usually good enough to sit through. I liked watching the one with Diane Lane in it with Richard Gere since i think she is a hottie.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Movie:Dear John

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 pm

hebner20 wrote: I have seen most of the Nicholas Sparks movies and they are definite chick flicks but are usually good enough to sit through. I liked watching the one with Diane Lane in it with Richard Gere since i think she is a hottie.

Don't you be lusting after Mrs. FUDU, now.

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm

hebner20 wrote:
I have seen most of the Nicholas Sparks movies

Did you lose a bet, or are you a bit of a masochist?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 pm

My fiance's read all the books. Hated the movie version of Nights in Rodanthe. Loved The Notebook and A Walk To Remember on screen. She won't even read his new book because Miley Cyrus is going to play the main character in the movie that's coming out, and she can't get past that.

As for myself, can't say I've seen any of them.

There's a problem with most books to movies because some things have to be kept out and/or altered to fit the movie or the time constraints. 21, the movie version of Ben Mezrich's Bringing Down the House is a travesty compared to the book. I've heard that the Bourne series is better in print, but I don't want to risk them cheapening the movies for me. I love the trilogy too much to take that chance.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cease » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 pm

A "Dear John" movie I'd watch would involve this cast:

"Hiii Johhhn"

Please forgive me, this post was an out of body experience.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
hebner20 wrote:
I have seen most of the Nicholas Sparks movies

Did you lose a bet, or are you a bit of a masochist?

Neither. Just part of the give and take that makes marriage work.

I hated a walk to remember, the Notebook was good, the Rodanthe thing was good because of Diane Lane and Dear John was a stinker. I think there are one or two others that were movies but did not see them.
She puts up with my sports and other interests so I have to reciprocate to be fair.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 pm

My gf is going to make me see this crap. Can't be any worse than Twilight. I had to wait 3 hours in the theater (with 10 minutes of ads on repeat) to watch that shitty 2 hour moive.

Then I found out the next Twlight movie comes out this summer. I don't even get a full year to prepare myself for the next one. What's up with that?
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 am

Rat_Tail wrote:My gf is going to make me see this crap. Can't be any worse than Twilight. I had to wait 3 hours in the theater (with 10 minutes of ads on repeat) to watch that shitty 2 hour moive.

Then I found out the next Twlight movie comes out this summer. I don't even get a full year to prepare myself for the next one. What's up with that?

The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am

Rat_Tail wrote:My gf is going to make me see this crap. Can't be any worse than Twilight. I had to wait 3 hours in the theater (with 10 minutes of ads on repeat) to watch that shitty 2 hour moive.

Not calling you a liar but it seems counter-productive for the theatre to have a screen not showing a movie for 3 full hours. I've gone to opening nights before and they don't even let you into the theatre until about an hour before hand.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Not calling you a liar but it seems counter-productive for the theatre to have a screen not showing a movie for 3 full hours. I've gone to opening nights before and they don't even let you into the theatre until about an hour before hand.

Yeah thats what I was expecting. It was at The Great Escape in Massillon and they had like 3 or 4 screens playing it. Maybe they did things different just for the Twilight crazies.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Doesn't it star the dumb girl from "Mean Girls"?

That's the bst part.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture