Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

LOST Season 6

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: LOST Season 6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Total Epic failure on WEWS Cleveland.

This is unforgivable. I've watched every damn episode of this and they completely fuck up the broadcast of the finale. It's unwatchable.

I'm so pissed off right now there is blood coming out of my eyes and ears and my hair has turn a bright shade of orange. I cannot fucking believe this.

I'm 50 minutes in and I'm stopping. Word on the ABC site is that they will be rebroadcasting it on Saturday.

Good luck not hearing any spoilers between now and then.

Fucking assholes.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cease » Sun May 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Total Epic failure on WEWS Cleveland.

This is unforgivable. I've watched every damn episode of this and they completely fuck up the broadcast of the finale. It's unwatchable.

I'm so pissed off right now there is blood coming out of my eyes and ears and my hair has turn a bright shade of orange. I cannot fucking believe this.

I'm 50 minutes in and I'm stopping. Word on the ABC site is that they will be rebroadcasting it on Saturday.

Fucking assholes.

Wow. http://twitter.com/WEWS

Signal update: our engineers are isolating the issue to equipment inside our building that they believe is causing the problem.

Side note, I finally saw the LOST pilot parts 1&2 on Saturday Night. Looks like it's going to be a good series!
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Total Epic failure on WEWS Cleveland.

Fucking assholes.

Watch it on ABC's website tomorrow.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon May 24, 2010 12:39 am

I, too, was experiencing problems on my HD channel... so I just watched in non-HD, no big deal.

In regards to the finale itself, I liked it. I had to rewatch the scene with Jack and his father and let it digest for about 10 minutes to understand what the flashsideways were all about.

A couple of my buddies feel cheated, but I can totally understand why.

I'll wait until some more people post in here to really discuss.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Lokais » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 am

Loved the finale. Absolutely loved it. Yeah, they didn't answer everything, but I don't think it would have been the right way to do it. I know a lot of people don't like it, but that's how it always goes. All I know is that I'm still thinking about it the next day, which says something. I am really going to miss Lost.
Lokais

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 24, 2010 1:34 pm

I won't discuss specific events in the finale today, out of respect for those who didn't get to see it.

I didn't watch it until today either because I had recorded it on the WEWS station, which was unwatchable. I ended up watching it (and Jimmy Kimmel's thing afterward) on Hulu today.

I'll say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I thought they did right by the show by ending it how they did.

Also, for those still looking for answers, Jimmy Kimmel let slip last night that the Blu-Ray for Season 6 (out Aug. 24) will have a bonus feature that will answer many of those questions.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Doc » Mon May 24, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm not sure what to think about the finale. I tivo'd it last night, so I hope I don't run into the same issues you guys/other people had. Hoping it comes out on Zune marketplace on the 360 today as well, so I can just download it in HD with no issues.

I'll say my initial reaction to last night's episode was "cheesy". I felt the island stuff was anticlimactic on the first watch-through. Again, I need to rewatch because I was a little too under the influence during our Lost finale party. I think we had 15 people, started around 2:00. Made some killer pulled pork (boar!) and some nice cheesecake. And a pitcher of Washington Apple shots to resemble Jacob's wine. Great time yesterday. I'm going to refrain from saying I'm disappointed, mainly because I'm still a bit confused. That being said, it was a great run (even if I took a Lost hiatus during seasons 3-5). The rewatch and final season that I've been going through since early January has been amazing. Won't be another show like this.

Also, this is amazing, from Kimmel on Friday...

Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm going to start talking about the finale in detail tonight. If people haven't seen it yet, shame on them.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 24, 2010 2:20 pm

That unnecessary censorship thing was great!

I do have quite a bit to say about the finale, but I'll save it until tomorrow so that people who haven't watched it yet get a chance to without being spoiled.
StewieG

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 24, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm still pissed.

I've never been on hulu. Does your computer need to be fast? My computer is slow as hell. Example, when I want to watch something on Youtube I have to let it load first because it plays faster than it downloads and keeps buffering. Would the same thing happen on Hulu? Because if it does I might as will wait until saturday...that's how long it would take to download a 2.5 hour show anyway.

I think I'll just have to skip this thread and the discussion.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Hulu's much faster than Youtube for me. Best thing would be to give it a try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it is worth a shot.
StewieG

Unread postby Lokais » Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I'm still pissed.

I've never been on hulu. Does your computer need to be fast? My computer is slow as hell. Example, when I want to watch something on Youtube I have to let it load first because it plays faster than it downloads and keeps buffering. Would the same thing happen on Hulu? Because if it does I might as will wait until saturday...that's how long it would take to download a 2.5 hour show anyway.

I think I'll just have to skip this thread and the discussion.

I believe Hulu just pulls it from ABC.com anyway, as they have it up already. If Hulu is slow, try ABC.com, too. And just make sure you watch it in lower quality if it is going slow.
Lokais

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm

I thought the finale was really good. Not all of the questions were answered, but that's a criticism you make of the series (and the sixth season) as a whole, not necessarily just the last episode. (Really, to try to cram a whole bunch of answers into two and a half hours wouldn't have been that good of a show).

The last season was very entertaining. My concern is that it seemed like they were trying to make the season largely mirror the first season, and wrap up the questions that arose at that time...but leaving aside many of the things that came up in the middle seasons.

I think Alan Sepinwall's review is spot on.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/lost-the-end-see-you-in-the-other-life-brother
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby CP » Mon May 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Great sendoff to a great show.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby mitch » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Really enjoyed it...but like the others, I'll wait a few days before giving details.

Except for one cryptic one...

Just watched the DVR of the confusing scene that came on after the final "LOST" fade out...

For those that saw it and think that it meant one thing...go back and look at the color of the stripe. (I'll explain in detail later).
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby Naxos » Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 am

Jumbo wrote:I thought the finale was really good. Not all of the questions were answered, but that's a criticism you make of the series (and the sixth season) as a whole, not necessarily just the last episode. (Really, to try to cram a whole bunch of answers into two and a half hours wouldn't have been that good of a show).

The last season was very entertaining. My concern is that it seemed like they were trying to make the season largely mirror the first season, and wrap up the questions that arose at that time...but leaving aside many of the things that came up in the middle seasons.

I think Alan Sepinwall's review is spot on.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/lost-the-end-see-you-in-the-other-life-brother

I agree this was a very good review and pretty much where I fall out as well. I enjoyed the series and the end but still want these darn questions and rules explained.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Mitch, what stripe are you talking about?
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby mitch » Tue May 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Mitch, what stripe are you talking about?

SPOILER!!!!

DON'T READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FINALE (and plan to).

Lots of people stated that the wreckage shown as the credits rolled meant that the Ajira plane that took off at the end with six people aboard ended up crashing, and they all died and never made it back.

Not true. The Ajira plane had was white with red striping on it, whereas the wreckage they showed clearly had a blue Oceanic stripe on the side...hence it was just a shot of the original Oceanic 815 wreck.
mitch

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

mitch wrote:

SPOILER!!!!

Lots of people stated that the wreckage shown as the credits rolled meant that the Ajira plane that took off at the end with six people aboard ended up crashing, and they all died and never made it back.

Not true. The Ajira plane had was white with red striping on it, whereas the wreckage they showed clearly had a blue Oceanic stripe on the side...hence it was just a shot of the original Oceanic 815 wreck.

Ohhhh okay.

Hmmm, it never crossed my mind that it could have been the Ajira plane. Interesting.

I just rewatched the last 15 minutes or so of the Finale... the series could not have ended on a better note.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue May 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Alright, time for Bill to talk about the Finale and discuss his views on it. So without further ado...

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't yet seen the Finale, do NOT continue.

So as I said before, I liked the Finale very much. I thought it was the perfect way for a show such as LOST to end. A nice, soft landing. Bravo.

I had to rewatch the last 15 minutes or so (the scene between Jack and his dad) to really wrap my head around what was actually happening.

Everything that happened up to the point when Jack finally closes his eyes actually happened and the flash forwards weren't real (thought in a way, they were).

I'm sure it was the theory for millions that they were all dead on the Island already and were experiencing Purgatory then or even Hell. Then it turns out the flash forwards were a form of Purgatory. Nice.

A couple buddies of mine, though probably now more open to the Finale, initially hated it. They were more for plot than for character. One of them said it best when he said it was like the Wizard of Oz but instead of looking behind the curtain, all the characters just looked at Dorothy and told her "Click your ruby red slippers together and let's get the hell outta here." Basically, the Island and everything that comes with it is STILL a mystery.

Personally, I'm okay with that. And I don't mean for this to be a cop out... but perhaps that's how it's supposed to be. For it to still be a mystery. For it to still leave us lost and up for interpretation.

Any way, would I have liked to know the secrets of the Island in detail? Hell yeah! But am I okay with still not knowing? Absolutely.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Since the seal has been broken, I'll give my thoughts as well.
SPOILERS

I'll echo what others (and Sepinwall) said. I thought it was a great ending to a fantastic show. It's always been about the characters, and it ended with a story about the characters.

My favorite episodes of the series (and I think when everything has sunk in, this too will end up being among my favorites) almost exclusively deal with poignant character moments. Sayid tossing Sawyer the apple on one of their first days, the golf course scene, Charlie and Claire sharing the fake peanut butter, Aaron's birth/Boone's death, Charlie's 'Greatest Hits' (especially his greatest hit - 'The night I met you'), The Oceanic 6 meeting their family, the moment Locke discovered he could walk again...I could go on for a long, long time. It's really the mark of great work from everyone involved (from the writers, to the director, Cinematographer, actors, music) that I found myself feeling what the characters felt in each of these moments. Joy, sadness, shock, horror, awe, terror...they were always good at making me feel what the characters felt. These moments, more than any other, are why this show was more successful. The mythology hooked you in, the characters kept you watching. That, more than anything, is why shows like FlashForward fail.

Anyways, on to the episode itself. I loved the symbolism with the opening/closing of the eye. Loved the moments when the characters remembered, and cried like a baby at more than one of them. Interestingly, having the island be purgatory would have pissed me off. Having the flash-sideways be purgatory made me happy. It's the little things like that where Lindleoff and Cuse really shine.

When did everyone figure out they were all dead on the flash-sideways? I knew something was strange when Locke recovered so quickly from his surgery, but when Ben and Hurley called each other great #1/2's, I knew everyone had to be dead. Though I didn't fully understand until Christian's explanation.

I think the characters trying to help Jack 'let go' were also trying to help us, as fans, let go. I do think that was intentional.

My understanding of how everything turned out is this: Everything that happened on the island, throughout the six seasons, was real. The Crash, the time on the island, the smoke monster, DHARMA, the Oceanic Six, the deaths...everything really happened. The flash-sideways were kind of a holding place for all those who had died, and who will die, as kind of a "holding place" (or Purgatory, same thing) before they can move on (as Christian said). Once they all died, whenever that might have been (Christian also said that some died before Jack, and some died much later), they all met in the church in order to move on to whatever might come next.

I'm almost glad we didn't get an answer-heavy episode for a finale. More often than not, I find myself being disappointed at the answers. I think having the finale be more about the answers than the end of each character's journey would have been a major disappointment. I'd trust anything Lindleoff and Cuse collaborate on in the future (same with JJ Abrams). They really did right by the show in the finale, and sent it out on a great note.

Can't wait for the DVD/Soundtrack to come out!
StewieG

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 am

SPOILER ALERT

Can we discuss who was in the church at the end and why?

One buddy of mine said it was everyone who found love. Another said it was the characters that were important throughout most of the series. However, characters like Libby, Penny, and Aaron were in the church... and they were just as important as, for example, Mr. Eko... yet Mr. Eko wasn't in the church, nor was Walt. My theory for that was that it was relational; Libby is the love of Hurley and Penny is the love of Desmond. Locke's love was for independence. He received the ultimate walkabout.

Any ideas why Ben decided not to enter the church?
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Doc » Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 am

Well, that last scene is obviously going to be the one that everybody talks about. I was discussing it a little with my friend from work yesterday. My question is Boone…was he there? He’s the one person I can’t really remember. Obviously he was in the episode, and he seemed pretty conscious of everything, but he didn’t have a love interest in the show and I can’t remember if he was part of the End. It’s not specifically only people on Oceanic 815 (Penny, Desmond, Juliet). Ok, now I’m getting foggy and don’t feel like reading recaps. Were Aaron, Ji Yeon, or little Charlie there at the church? As to why Ben, Ana Lucia, Michael, Eko, etc. weren’t there…Eko wanted too much money =). Michael was trapped as a whisper on the island, which I assume affected his ability to move on to the flash sideways. Ben was still working on things (Alex/Rousseau), and I assume Faraday was still working on Charlotte as well. I don’t know for sure, but that’s how I feel on those characters. I don’t know what Ana Lucia’s hold up is. Either way, I think they explained enough as to why it was those specific characters.

I really wanted to rewatch last night, but then my magic 8 ball convinced me to buy UFC Undisputed 2010. Anyways, I’m trying to piece back together my memories of Season 6 to see if everything makes sense now. I wonder what would have happened if, let’s say, Sun had died when she was shot. Would anything change? Could she have died? And I still wonder what Desmond’s specialness meant? Was it that he wouldn’t die down in the source?

Anyone else hoping for a restart of Lost with Hurley and Ben as the main characters?
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby StewieG » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

SPOILERS

I think Ben decided not to go in the church because he just didn't feel he was ready to move on. Maybe he finally found happiness with Rousseau and Alex in purgatory, and wanted to remain there.

As for the rest, my best guess is the people who ended up in the church were happier in the company of those on the island than with anyone else. Ana Lucia and Eko never seemed all that happy on the island. Michael, I like to think, was never able to move on after the horrors of what he did. He's probably still stuck on the island, whispering to people. Perhaps Walt found happiness in his life off the island. Richard was probably happiest with his wife from Ab Aterno, and went with her instead.

But that's all just a guess.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 am

I wonder what would have happened if, let’s say, Sun had died when she was shot. Would anything change? Could she have died? And I still wonder what Desmond’s specialness meant? Was it that he wouldn’t die down in the source?

I don't think Sun could have died. I think it was purgatory's way of getting them to where they needed to be. I think that's what Desmond was doing when he ran over Locke, as well.

I believe Desmond's specialness was that he could absorb huge amounts of electromagnetism and survive it, which meant he could go to the island's core and do whatever needed to be done.
StewieG

Unread postby mitch » Wed May 26, 2010 9:52 am

I think everyone at the church were the ones on the main section of Oceanic 815, along with some special guests. Libby and Juliet, because they were Hurley and Sawyer's soul mates (Libby was also in the tail section of 815, but I think that's a separate group, per se).

Desmond, of course, was there due to his "specialness" and his relationship to all of them, which naturally meant that Penny would be with him.

Ben received the invitation, I think, because he was redeemed in the however many centuries he helped Hurley protect the island as #2.

Micheal, as noted, is serving out his time in hell/purgatory on the island as a cautionary tale about traitors.

The other initial survivors like Arzt, Nikki & Paulo (gag), and others who just served as cannon fodder for the others/smoke monster/etc? Too insignificant. The island is what defined everyone who was in the church at the end, and changed all of them. The ones that went quickly on the island never needed a sideways purgatory to go through to "let go".
mitch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 26, 2010 10:54 am

The finale was ah-ight. It kind of summed up the whole final season - a hollow shell of its former self.

Lost is the 2 millionth example of a show that went on a 1 or 2 seasons too long.

I've decided that I'll buy Seasons 1-3 (maybe 4) and pretend the show ended after that. It never got downright AWFUL (well, that whole time travel crap was pretty dumb), but there's a certain point where the show does not need to be re-watched, and that happens (for me) when they start using the "unstuck in time" device to explain other plot points.

The only thing that saddens me about Lost going off is that I now currently have zero TV shows that I watch on a regular basis (unless you count the NBA playoffs).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed May 26, 2010 11:24 am

So, essentially it was all the characters from the plane crash that were deeply and positively affected by the events on the Island AND their close significant other/relative (Libby/Boone).

Hikohadon wrote:Lost is the 2 millionth example of a show that went on a 1 or 2 seasons too long.

Meh, maybe. I think the 6 seasons were pretty much necessary with the complexity of LOST. A better example would be The Office. As much as I love that show, it should have ended 2 or 3 seasons ago. Anyway.

Though I do agree the time travel was kind like "whaat?" for me, I accepted it to be one of the best ways (if not the only way), to move the story forward as best it could.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

mitch wrote:

SPOILER!!!!

Confirmed

http://www.avclub.com/articles/abc-says ... ere,41537/

Apparently ABC just wanted viewers to chill out a bit before the local news. Yet they didn't figure geeky Lost fans would blow it out of proportions...
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture