Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

joe carnahan--bear with me

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

joe carnahan--bear with me

Unread postby jonne99 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Just watched the prodigious direct-to-dvd prequel: "smokin' aces 2."

I was expecting it to suck after really enjoying the first film. Yet, I came away pleasantly impressed by the villain acting and everything built to the climax of the story (beware if you don't like manic, fickle, endings). The gore was right on, as memorable movies show things up to a point, and then rely on connectivity from our emotions to complete the intent. "Smokin' aces'" does this with homicide for pay, concurrently as the characters are annihilating anything that moves. In "Smokin’ Aces," viewers see deaths connected with an impressively opposing associated view from the emotions of their killers. Unfortunately, we won't be able to acquire a sense of the true depth of those characters until shown in a larger sample size, like in "Dexter."
It's still relatively new for humans to picture individuals who kill other individuals for money, to have any innate human traits, yet that is what the view of what both of the “Smokin' Aces" movies allow viewers to obtain.

The second movie is getting a ton of negative reactions, even from people who liked the first movie. Am I missing something? Maybe a rewatch is due.
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: corban rogue&jay
Least Favorite Player: heather hill

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture