Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

RnR HOF 2010 inductees

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

RnR HOF 2010 inductees

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am

http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010/

Genesis
The Hollies
Jimmy Cliff
The Stooges (finally)
ABBA

No, that is not a typo, f**king ABBA is in the Rock and Roll HOF. Unfreakingbeliveable :pb:

At the induction ceremony will we finally see Gabriel and Hackett perform w/ Genesis again?

Maybe Iggy will roll around in some broken glass for old times sake!
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: RnR HOF 2010 inductees

Unread postby CLEVELAND STATUS 2009 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:26 am

WOW!!! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:
CLEVELAND STATUS 2009

Favorite Player: Brady Quinn
Least Favorite Player: James Harrison

Unread postby Stu » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:44 am

what a joke of an organization.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Surprised at this take by a free-thinker like you, Mr Blanks. Make a credible musical and commercial case why ABBA shouldn't be there, other than they offend your machismo and you feel like a 17 year old boy who needs to say something sux to fit in with peer pressure. Not my thing either, but you should hear iconic r&r musicians talk them up, and they sold tens of millions of records around the world. Complex harmonies and melodies that would be impossible for the Stooges to approach, for example. Not to diss Iggy, but merely to make a point of what band goals are for an art form. Does R&R by definition HAVE to be lead guitar based? Does it have to be ear splitting? Do the artists have to spit on people? Lyrics and depth? Not exactly a strong point, but they were ESL ferners after all.

ABBA is a "what took them so long" no brainer by any objective measure.

Jimmy Cliff is the head scratcher. Obscure third rate reggae meets a wanna be Bellafonte gets you in the HOF? War, PC world music. Where is Tosh? Burning Spear?

The Hollies represent a pretty low bar as well, IMO. Nice pop group with some great top 40 tunes. HOF ? Really?

The RRHOF is proof it is a nearly dead art form.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:08 pm

JB wrote:Surprised at this take by a free-thinker like you, Mr Blanks. Make a credible musical and commercial case why ABBA shouldn't be there, other than they offend your machismo and you feel like a 17 year old boy who needs to say something sux to fit in with peer pressure. Not my thing either, but you should hear iconic r&r musicians talk them up, and they sold tens of millions of records around the world. Complex harmonies and melodies that would be impossible for the Stooges to approach, for example. Not to diss Iggy, but merely to make a point of what band goals are for an art form. Does R&R by definition HAVE to be lead guitar based? Does it have to be ear splitting? Do the artists have to spit on people? Lyrics and depth? Not exactly a strong point, but they were ESL ferners after all.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Listen here, I succumbed to that type of peer pressure at the age of 13. Get your facts straight! ;-) ;) :wink:

Never said they suck, I just don't regard ABBA as r'n'r. Sold millions of records, complex harmonies and melodies, I may give you that. If that is the criteria than I have a website for you to go to and sign the petition, because they provided the same, she had the voice of an angel, and she went out rock and roll style
http://www.gocarpenters.com/

This is what is on the official RnRHOF website for criteria
Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

What influence and significance was provided by ABBA? If they came out and said that record sales and chart topping singles weigh heavily in voting, than I can accept induction.

As with most HOF's, they want to make it a best of the best. I think by inducting ABBA, they're going to start looking at record sales and overall popularity more so than influence and significance. It's a door that'll be opened and I'm scared to see who'll be stepping through in the future.

JMO
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
JB wrote:Surprised at this take by a free-thinker like you, Mr Blanks. Make a credible musical and commercial case why ABBA shouldn't be there, other than they offend your machismo and you feel like a 17 year old boy who needs to say something sux to fit in with peer pressure. Not my thing either, but you should hear iconic r&r musicians talk them up, and they sold tens of millions of records around the world. Complex harmonies and melodies that would be impossible for the Stooges to approach, for example. Not to diss Iggy, but merely to make a point of what band goals are for an art form. Does R&R by definition HAVE to be lead guitar based? Does it have to be ear splitting? Do the artists have to spit on people? Lyrics and depth? Not exactly a strong point, but they were ESL ferners after all.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Listen here, I succumbed to that type of peer pressure at the age of 13. Get your facts straight! ;-) ;) :wink:

Never said they suck, I just don't regard ABBA as r'n'r. Sold millions of records, complex harmonies and melodies, I may give you that. If that is the criteria than I have a website for you to go to and sign the petition, because they provided the same, she had the voice of an angel, and she went out rock and roll style
http://www.gocarpenters.com/

This is what is on the official RnRHOF website for criteria
Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

What influence and significance was provided by ABBA? If they came out and said that record sales and chart topping singles weigh heavily in voting, than I can accept induction.

As with most HOF's, they want to make it a best of the best. I think by inducting ABBA, they're going to start looking at record sales and overall popularity more so than influence and significance. It's a door that'll be opened and I'm scared to see who'll be stepping through in the future.

JMO

Personally I think The Beach Boys suck. I say they are shallow, stupid, lame and wussy. Those who know tell me Pet Sounds is a producers masterpiece.

Ditto Abba. If Elvis Costello tells me that they took Phil Spector's tree of rock and rol to the next level as later day Rocmaninov's , I defer.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:45 pm

JB wrote:Personally I think The Beach Boys suck. I say they are shallow, stupid, lame and wussy. Those who know tell me Pet Sounds is a producers masterpiece.

Pet Sounds helped pave the way for Sgt Peppers. George Martin said w/o it, there would have been no SPLHCB. Paul called it his favorite album. It was said to have refined Spector's 'Wall of Sound". He was one of the first to use the 8-track recorders.

JB wrote:Ditto Abba. If Elvis Costello tells me that they took Phil Spector's tree of rock and rol to the next level as later day Rocmaninov's , I defer.

Link? ;-) ;) :wink:

I know he and the Attractions "borrowed" from Dancing Queen on Oliver's Army.

I still don't see HOF written here but like music itself, it's all subjective
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Nuke the RnR HOF.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture