Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Clint Eastwood's next Oscar Winner?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Clint Eastwood's next Oscar Winner?

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Invictus, with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.

I think Clint might have another "Million Dollar Baby" here.

I know I'm looking forward to it. Especially since it's a true story.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/invictus/

Re: Clint Eastwood's next Oscar Winner?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am

I think Eastwood is over rated

the only film he directed that I've enjoyed is a Perfect World and that says plenty

On a related note

MORE Kevin Costner!!!!!!!!!!
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:38 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I think Eastwood is over rated

the only film he directed that I've enjoyed is a Perfect World and that says plenty

Don't make me go George Washington on your Cornwallis ass there, boy :spanky:

Unforgiven, Mystic River, and Letters From Iwo Jima were all magnificent.

Perfect World, Million Dollar Baby, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Absolute Power, and Gran Torino were excellent.

This one looks to continue that legacy...perhaps the first great Rugby Movie?

And Kevin Costner sucks unless he's playing a jock or on a horse. See also; Swing Vote

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:46 am

Is it a true story or a "true story"?

I read a critic this past summer totally rip on the whole true story stuff. Some suspense/horror flick from the past 1-2 claimed it was based on true story and the true part was about 10 seconds of an actual real scenario that took place, and the creators then fabricated a whole movie from that ten seconds.

Just sayin.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby DarNoor » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:48 am

Looks like another winner from Clint.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

FUDU wrote:Is it a true story or a "true story"?

I read a critic this past summer totally rip on the whole true story stuff. Some suspense/horror flick from the past 1-2 claimed it was based on true story and the true part was about 10 seconds of an actual real scenario that took place, and the creators then fabricated a whole movie from that ten seconds.

Just sayin.

Good point, and that could be a whole nuther thread here.

I'm usually very leery about "true stories", and nothing pisses me off more than outright LYING about something just for dramatic effect.

Cinderella Man was an excellent movie, but it was downright libel when it came to its portrayal of Max Baer, which was so dishonest that it made a really good movie almost unwatchable for me.

Same with "A Beautiful Mind", where Ron Howard completely ignored so many facts about John Nash in his "biography", to the point that it was 90% fiction.

I loved the movie "Invincible", but it bothered me that they changed it in one very important way. They kept showing Vince Pepale's father as a central character in the movie, but in reality, he was dead a few years before Pepale tried out for the team. I understand that it "added character development", and that the real Pepale approved of the change, but I didn't like it.

Some changes I can accept in "true" movies. "The Express" had some out of sequence events (like Art Modell owning the Browns when Jim Brown was drafted). Frost/Nixon featured a telephone conversation between the two that probably didn't happen. "The Queen" featured numerous "speculated" conversations, but still rang true to the spirit of the events, as did "Hotel Rwanda" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

But if they are going to completely change things around, I'd much rather see the words "inspired by actual events" rather than use real names and events, totaly shift things around, add characters, and play loose with the facts.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture