Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

NBC's "Must See TV" - Which Decade Was Best?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

NBC's "Must See TV" - Which Decade Was Best?

Unread postby waborat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 am

80's: Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court + A Different World, Gimme A Break

90's: Friends, Seinfeld + Mad About You, Frasier, Wings, Veronica's Closet, Suddenly Susan, Caroline In The City

00's: Friends, Will & Grace, Scrubs, The Office, 30 Rock, My Name Is Earl + Just Shoot Me, Joey, P & R, Community, The Apprentice

The 80's had the longest run of the same shows...

The 90's had Seinfeld (The Best!!!) and a very strong Friends, but they could never seem to find the other 2 shows? If they would have kept Frasier on Thursdays instead of moving them around then it would have been stronger

The 00's have been hit n miss with the first few seasons of The Office being classic along with the first 2 seasons of Earl...Scrubs might have been the most consistent of the bunch?

If I white out Seinfeld then I've gotta go with the 80s for all out laughs for 2 straight hours...Coz, Mike J Fox, Cliff & Norm, Harry & the gang were the best overall for me
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: NBC's "Must See TV" - Which Decade Was Best?

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:55 am

I have to go with the 80's. For two hours, i never had to change the channel.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby jb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:35 pm

DarNoor wrote:I have to go with the 80's. For two hours, i never had to change the channel.

Plus you gotta go into 10PM AFAIC.

80's = Hill Street Blues

90's = ER

Otts = Jay

All really damn good 'cept for later ER's.

While the first 2 casts of ER had me on my seat's edge every week, I loved me some HSB.

For me, this is all about the vibe.

Early must see in the mid-80's included me a trip to ray's Place and as many $0.75 Molson canadian drafts as I could afford to suck down, and usually an after hours and some Mac and Cheese.

Late 80's transitioned to Seinfeld and the simliar routine, but it wasn't as phresh, and my huge GA stipend allowed me to graduate to better beers and Jamiesons.

The 90's are out for me because I never got into Friends -- subjective -- and I loathed Veronica's closet.

Mad About You is a chick flick disguised as a 30 minute sitcom. loved when Seinfeld would rip on it like south park does family guy.

Didn't the A Team strat on Thursdays at 8pm as well, starting NBC's comeback? In the day of the big 3 , ABC ruled under 40s sitcomes for the 70's , CBS over 40's plus Norman Lear's shows. NBC was a ghost town.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:46 pm

"A-Team" was on Tuesdays, IIRC. It was "A-Team"-"Remington Steele"-"Riptide" in NBC's Tue. night lineup, I think.

Any MSTV that includes "Cheers" is the best one. And "Hill Street Blues" > "ER." HSB basically re-invented its genre. You don't have stuff like "Homicide: Life on the Street" or "NYPD Blue" w/o it.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I loved Hill Street Blues
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm

+1 for HSB. I was probably more riveted to the set in the 80s. I was slow to pick up on Seinfeld, I just didn't give it a chance, but finally some of my bro's made me sit and watch.

Totally agree about Seinfeld ripping on Mad About You. Great stuff!!!

Also in time I found myself skipping friends. I did watch for awhile, but gave up it just wasn't my cup o'tea. This despite all the women around me (mom, wife, sis) staying loyal to the end. Why did the Friends NYC types seem more uppity and less interesting than Seinfeld? If it were set in Baahston e0y would've been all over that.... Maybe I have an inner Jewish child and identified more with Seinfeld....
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Guest » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:34 am

HermanFontenot wrote: "Hill Street Blues" > "ER." HSB basically re-invented its genre. You don't have stuff like "Homicide: Life on the Street" or "NYPD Blue" w/o it.

+1 on that.

Also in the late 80s/early 90s you had "LA Law" once HSB went off the air. And while HSB>>LALaw, it was still a pretty decent lawyer show.

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:49 pm

NBC also had Miami Vice, another significant television program (in many ways), going for them on the dreaded Friday night slot in the 80's.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:14 am

Mitch wrote:
Also in the late 80s/early 90s you had "LA Law" once HSB went off the air. And while HSB>>LALaw, it was still a pretty decent lawyer show.

Forgot about that, I did watch that show regularly. It was really weird hearing Jimmy Smits accent on Dexter after watching LA Law for so long.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm

'80s by a mile
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:26 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:And "Hill Street Blues" > "ER." HSB basically re-invented its genre. You don't have stuff like "Homicide: Life on the Street" or "NYPD Blue" w/o it.

HSB was created and produced by Steven Bochco, who then later in his career also created and produced NYPD Blues. He did LA Law as well.

Homicide Life on the Street was, I think, the best out of the 3, but all were exceptional. Homicide was based on a non fiction book written by David Simon, who then created the show about the same time NYPD was born. He went on to create and produce The Wire as well. Which, as we all know, is the best cop drama in the history of the universe. :dingle:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 pm

mattvan1 wrote:HSB was created and produced by Steven Bochco, who then later in his career also created and produced NYPD Blues. He did LA Law as well.

I can't even do the math on how many points Bochco loses for 'Cop Rock' though.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Peek. Is your avatar a scene from the movie Scanners? A mental-telepathy-type power which some dude exploded some other dude's head??
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:21 pm

One qualm I personally had concerning the '80s version of MSTV: "Night Court." Aside from John Larroquette, I just didn't think that was a very funny show. Harry Anderson didn't make me laugh. YMMV.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:26 pm

80s hands down. The Cosby Show was just THE show when I was growing up and it was hard not to like most of the others. I always liked Night Court and Family Ties.

Loved Gimme A Break too. Never got into A Different World, despite it being a Cosby spinoff.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am

HermanFontenot wrote:One qualm I personally had concerning the '80s version of MSTV: "Night Court." Aside from John Larroquette, I just didn't think that was a very funny show. Harry Anderson didn't make me laugh. YMMV.

Markie Post was smokin'.

That's my mileage.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby BruceK » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 pm

80's by far -
Cheers is the only sitcom in the history of the universe that ever mentioned Charlie Spikes in the script.

And HSB was better than Homicide or The Wire - because the latter two were set in Baltimore and Baltimore sucks.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 am

Markie Post was my 80's version of Diane.

Her and Stephanie Kramer, I swear to God.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture