Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Stargate Universe

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Stargate Universe

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:51 am

I never watched any of the Stargate shows, but this new one is pretty good. Big time BSG feel to it, and I love how I don't feel I need to be immersed in the SG mythology to understand what's going on. Should be SyFy's next big hit.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Stargate Universe

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41 pm

I've never watched any of the shows either but watched this one last night only because my buddy's cousin is in it. I don't remember any of the character names but he was one of the soldiers and carried a gun practically the entire show, he seemed to be with the "techie" guy a lot. I know it's supposed to be sci-fi drama but I was laughing a lot. Couldn't help it with Lou Diamond Phillips, Shooter McGavin, and McGuyver.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Stargate Universe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:40 pm

I have to admit, I am a Stargate fan, Didn't catch the series initially, but actually started watching it because it led into BSG and got hooked. Now I own all of SG1 and Atlantis on DVD.

Both previous Stargates are worth a look. The tone is different from SGU, but they are very much action/adventure sci-fi shows with a lot of humor thrown in along with serious stuff. That's one of several reasons why I'm such a fan of the shows. They took an iffy sci-fi flick and did something very good with it and not all that geeky. That techno stuff is there, but anyone can have fun.

SGU is a bit of a darker tone with much greater isolation. You don't need to know about the Ancients, etc to get into and I think they did a great job with that. The backstory is interesting and developed over the course of SG1 and Atlantis.

One cool thing is that the Stargate universe as a whole happens in the here and now. It's not some far distant future. These are contemporary characters that have been pulled into a much more futuristic world and have gotten by with a lot of luck and chance.

The Stargate writers, etc are not very self serious and can make fun of themselves. We'll see plenty of humor in SGU coupled with the darker edges. Definitely looking forward to seeing where this takes us and also looking forward to the upcoming SG1 and Atlantis direct-to-DVD releases. You get to see plenty of Richard Dean Anderson in SG1 and he's often hilarious.

Glad to see Stargate is branching out. If you ever get the chance to explore the other series you might be surprised by what you find. Not as dark as SGU is, but engaging and fun.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture