Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Devil's Rejects

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Alright, I have been on an effed up movie kick and after failing to get District 9 tickets last night (saw The Goods on opening day, sad) I made up for it today with The Devil's Rejects and Funny Games.

The Devil's Rejects was effing awesome. Just a fun as hell movie really well done. Unlike House of 1000 Corpses which had some strong moments but was obviously Zombie's first movie this movie is focused, put together very well, and just flat out fun.

Solid action, solid boobs, tons of screen time for Zombie's absolutely gorgeous wife (Sheri Moon Zombie, also in Californication), and the complete destruction of good versus evil (actually a somewhat intellectually interesting aspect).

Now if you have problems with freaks, some gross violence, or cheering for the bad guy as much as the good guy don't watch it, but I loved it (more than Funny Games, which was good, very original and had some huge highlights, unfortunately it also had a few parts that really pissed me off).

Best of all I have a feeling this is going to come in at a 10 on rewatchability and it earned a permanent spot on the DVR.

Trailor and Metacritic (which is better than rottentomatoes, btw): http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/devilsrejects?q=the%20devil's%20rejects The reviews range from terrible to very good from the top critics, as you would expect for a movie like this.

Image

Image
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 pm

It's a totaly different movie than House Of 1,000 Corpses, House was more straight forward horror, The Devil's Rejects was more of a road movie/thriller, much like Natural Born Killers.

I really liked it. My only real gripe is Otis, he changed from a complete raving lunatic , to some twisted anti-hero. His character was cool, I just liked him better in HoTC.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It's a totaly different movie than House Of 1,000 Corpses, House was more straight forward horror, The Devil's Rejects was more of a road movie/thriller, much like Natural Born Killers.

I really liked it. My only real gripe is Otis, he changed from a complete raving lunatic , to some twisted anti-hero. His character was cool, I just liked him better in HoTC.


True that, I am also a House of 1,000 Corpses fan.

That said, House isn't a focused movie at all. Zombie is doing 1,000 things at once and struggles to develop much of anything. This, from a pure filmaking standpoint, is definately a step up.

I've seen Ho1C at least 10 times over the years, as it used to be on the Encore networks all the time, but I strongly suspect I'll end up watching this much more.

How was Zombie's Halloween? A sequel is coming out late this month I think (it appears he shelved his Tyrannosaurus Rex... not about dinosaurs... project).

And after this I did get a strong urge to see Natural Born Killers again. It's been awhile, but I probably saw that movie 20 times over the years, a lot of fun as well.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Halloween was decent it was entertaining. I've only seen it once, and that was awhile ago. But I remember that most of the Childhood back story was somewhat boring, the kid that plays young Michael Myers is annoying.

I gotta ask, what parts of Funny Games pissed you off?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Halloween was decent it was entertaining. I've only seen it once, and that was awhile ago. But I remember that most of the Childhood back story was somewhat boring, the kid that plays young Michael Myers is annoying.

I gotta ask, what parts of Funny Games pissed you off?


I think you nailed that it is the most original horror type movie in awhile. That said, I didn't get sucked into the tension. You could almost tell everything that was going to happen (beyond who ended up splattered all-over the tv, that never happens in American films) before it happened. The story lacked something to force you to doubt that at the end of the day the killers were just going to do whatever they want and nothing was going to stop them. No element of surprise or challenge I guess.

And the rewinding the movie and talking to the audience really pissed me off. That shit always annoys me.

I get that it was all about control and that the ultimate show of control was giving the peeps a chance to survive (which they squandered) but you just could see almost every single thing coming from miles away.

And even though it was well written it had more than one "man the victims are retarded" moment. Can't really hate on it for that though.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Halloween was decent it was entertaining. I've only seen it once, and that was awhile ago. But I remember that most of the Childhood back story was somewhat boring, the kid that plays young Michael Myers is annoying.

I gotta ask, what parts of Funny Games pissed you off?


I think you nailed that it is the most original horror type movie in awhile. That said, I didn't get sucked into the tension. You could almost tell everything that was going to happen (beyond who ended up splattered all-over the tv, that never happens in American films) before it happened. The story lacked something to force you to doubt that at the end of the day the killers were just going to do whatever they want and nothing was going to stop them. No element of surprise or challenge I guess.

And the rewinding the movie and talking to the audience really pissed me off. That shit always annoys me.

I get that it was all about control and that the ultimate show of control was giving the peeps a chance to survive (which they squandered) but you just could see almost every single thing coming from miles away.

And even though it was well written it had more than one "man the victims are retarded" moment. Can't really hate on it for that though.



I'd agree with that, the rewind part was stupid, but I think it fit the satirical nature of the movie. He was poking fun at alot of the super horror/suspense movies. I liked the mystery around the bad guys, Michael Pitt and Brady Corbett were excellent villians. The ending was one of the coldest scenes i've seen. The way it went down, the answers you never get, that's what I dug.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

FWIW: the day after I made this post I caught Natural Born Killers on one of the Encore's.

My dark movie kick continues.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Did you watch Zombie's Halloween?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Devil's Rejects

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Did you watch Zombie's Halloween?


Nope, will eventually. I have been kept busy on the movie front just by checking Encore, HBO, IFC (the most important) and Showtime every couple of days and DVRing movies like mad.

That's what is craziest about NBK popping up one day after I mentioned it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests