Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

10 Best Picture Nominations

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

10 Best Picture Nominations

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 am

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I'm kinda mixed on this. I WISHED that it happened last year, so TDK could had been nominated!
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: 10 Best Picture Nominations

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:21 am

Well, it would certainly spice up the competition a little bit.

In regards to TDK -- what's done is done. Ledger winning the Oscar should be enough.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Cease » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:29 am

It's an industry play, and it might work. There are a LOT of people who make sure they see all 5 nominated films every year before or shortly after the awards ceremony. If you can get these people to put 6-10 films on their "must see" list, it will boost overall movie going and spread the wealth around the major studios- plus give some more attention to fine indy films.

Overall, it's a positive- as more work will be highlighted to the public. Increased exposure of any entertainment vehicle is a good thing for the artist.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby KingRex1583 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I'm kinda mixed on this. I WISHED that it happened last year, so TDK could had been nominated!

I think that's exactly why they did it. The Oscars' ratings have been dipping. By expanding the nominations list to ten, it gives them an opportunity to draw a whole new crowd to watch the broadcast. People who loved "Dark Knight" would have watched the whole way through to see if it took home the grand prize.

We'll be able to see different types of films nominated now, including comedies and the summer blockbusters that appeal to an audience that may not follow the dramas that normally get nods.
KingRex1583

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 pm

KingRex1583 wrote:
I think that's exactly why they did it. The Oscars' ratings have been dipping. By expanding the nominations list to ten, it gives them an opportunity to draw a whole new crowd to watch the broadcast. People who loved "Dark Knight" would have watched the whole way through to see if it took home the grand prize.

We'll be able to see different types of films nominated now, including comedies and the summer blockbusters that appeal to an audience that may not follow the dramas that normally get nods.

There's been some chatter about UP, Harry Potter, and Star Trek now all possibly being thrown in because of how many nominees there are. Not sure if all three would make it, but I could see two of them in there - probably UP for sure.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Harry Potter being nominated for Best Picture? lol. I haven't seen the movie, so idk if it's "amazing". Last HP movie I saw was the 3rd one... I think. How many are there now, 7?

I haven't seen any movies that I think are Oscar worthy, or heard much about. I guess I have to wait til December.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture