Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

TV calibration

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

TV calibration

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

LOL, bet our parents never had this worry.

Is there any value in these services at all? I know the factory puts the brightness and contrast settings to a point where they attract more attention but resetting some of these features to extend life to your set, save energy AND improve picture? The most recent I have heard of is places like a Geek squad bringing in supposedly $20K worth of equipment and fine tuning your televisions for the specific lighting conditions or the room it is situated.

I find it very difficult to believe the $150-300 the service costs is worth the most likely negligible difference in picture quality once they are done. It may decrease the amount of energy used, helping to lower the amount of heat generated and extend the life of the set but ALSO give better picture...life doesn't work that way most times.

I can speak on calibrating an audio system & the difference it makes to ones ear but I am not sure I am buying into this TV calibration gig.

Any opinions or experiences with these services?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: TV calibration

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:09 pm

No experiences but it is something I've been meaning to do myself. Check out [url]avsforum.com[/url] for some info. You can buy a DVD/Blu Ray that helps you calibrate the TV yourself. There are also images that can be downloaded, put on a USB drive, and displayed on the TV to help calibrate it, etc.

I believe we've covered this before, but make sure everything is plugged in via HDMI (minus the Wii) if you are going to be that particular about your picture.

Again, anyone know of a universal upconverter box that will take any 480p source and upconvert to 720?
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:28 pm

BDFD wrote:No experiences but it is something I've been meaning to do myself. Check out [url]avsforum.com[/url] for some info. You can buy a DVD/Blu Ray that helps you calibrate the TV yourself. There are also images that can be downloaded, put on a USB drive, and displayed on the TV to help calibrate it, etc.

I believe we've covered this before, but make sure everything is plugged in via HDMI (minus the Wii) if you are going to be that particular about your picture.

Again, anyone know of a universal upconverter box that will take any 480p source and upconvert to 720?

I know where to find devices that upconvert, but I'm not sure where a 480p source is coming from to convert in the first place.

EDIT: I guess you mean the 480p resolution from normal DVDs. OPPO apparently makes great upconverting DVD players.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 pm

It's not worth it. You can buy calibration DVDs and BDs on the cheap that will allow you to calibrate things yourself. There's quite a bit that is subjective - whether you want a hot, warm, or cool image is a big one. Color adjustment is limited and you really need to research TVs when buying for this.

As for upconverting, HD TVs all can upconvert and downconvert most signals (with many 720p TVs unable to downconvert 1080p). The cheaper the TV, the less likely it is very good at upconverting. Many cable boxes will up or downconvert signals, though some leave it to the TV.

I've found that the Blu-Ray players are excellent at upconverting. It's hit or miss with upconverting DVD players. The cheapies are iffy and if you have to go expensive you might as well get the Blu-Ray since you can upconvert and play native 1080p stuff as well.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Big Money Player » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 am

I've had my set calibrated by a guy named Chad Bielemer (sp?). He is ISF Certified and well worth the money, assuming the $375 isn't a huge expense to you. Colors are more natural, contrast and all settings are spot on. He did WAY more than I ever did with a tuneup disc. He gets into the service menus which a "normal" person cannot do. Hooks up a laptop to the set and has all sorts of neat equipment to test what he's doing.

Having said that, I think the biggest differences come in the older CRT big screens as they need more adjustment. It took him about 3 hours to do my set (Sony 60" SXRD). He said the older sets take more like 6 hours or so.

I'm not sure if the average Joe would be blown away by the results, but it's just a much more natural looking picture, not to mention it's better for the life of your TV.
"You know who invented this game, don't you?!?!?"
Big Money Player

Favorite Player: Mike Piper
Least Favorite Player: The Rat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 am

BDFD is right on. Go to the avs forum, read the posts for your make and model, and follow the advice. One thing is clear - 99% of everyone who brings a new set home from the store will want to mess around with the settings (and there are alot) and correct the image to their liking. I would go down this road first and give yourself a week or so to tweek adjustments.

After that if you can decide. I had planned to have my set professionally calibrated, but after messing around with settings from the avs forum I was so happy with the picture I just left things alone.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture