Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Alfred Hitchock Presents and Night Gallery (& Outer Limits)

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Alfred Hitchock Presents and Night Gallery (& Outer Limits)

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 am

I have been on this forum pronouncing my love for the old Twilight Zone series. Sci Fi Channel occasionally has these on late at night. And they have TZ marathons during New Years and 4th of July.

Warner Cable now airs an RTV (retro-TV) station at night. They have had some old classic TV shows similar to TZ on:

1) Alfred Hithcock presents. I remember these as being regular viewing in my household as a very young man. He was the master of deception, irony and twists in his time.

2) Night Gallery. A show that tried to emulate Twilight Zone. Was actually another series hosted by Rod Serling. Just didn't quite have the same success.

Good to see some of these shows!

Edit: Didn't realize this was my 2000th post!! :woot:
Last edited by OldDawg on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Alfred Hitchock Presents and Night Gallery

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:27 am

Hitchcock is classic. Night Gallery not so much, though it has its moments.

But I really love The Twilight Zone. I need to pick the series up on DVD at some point. It used to be on late at night on Sci-Fi and I would tune in a few years ago, but I think they stopped airing it at that time. Not sure if they still show it aside from the marathons.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 pm

OldDawg wrote:I have been on this forum pronouncing my love for the old Twilight Zone series. Sci Fi Channel occasionally has these on late at night. And they have TZ marathons during New Years and 4th of July.

Warner Cable now airs an RTV (retro-TV) station at night. They have had some old classic TV shows similar to TZ on:

1) Alfred Hithcock presents. I remember these as being regular viewing in my household as a very young man. He was the master of deception, irony and twists in his time.

2) Night Gallery. A show that tried to emulate Twilight Zone. Was actually another series hosted by Rod Serling. Just didn't quite have the same success.

Good to see some of these shows!

Edit: Didn't realize this was my 2000th post!! :woot:

Night Gallery scared the living shit out of me when I was a little kid. Far less subtle and ironic than TwiZone.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Hitchcock is classic. Night Gallery not so much, though it has its moments.

But I really love The Twilight Zone. I need to pick the series up on DVD at some point. It used to be on late at night on Sci-Fi and I would tune in a few years ago, but I think they stopped airing it at that time. Not sure if they still show it aside from the marathons.
Kids got the DVD collection for me for Christmas a while back. I was pumped. I have seen a few TZ episodes on SciFi the past few weeks late at night. I don't know if it is random or regularly scheduled.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Night Gallery scared the living shit out of me when I was a little kid. Far less subtle and ironic than TwiZone.

me too!!! the paintings sometimes were very graphic and would give me some rather bad nightmares all the time. and yet i still watched??? (smacking myself on the forehead).

probably one of the ones i remember the most was when this brain-eating worm crawled in this dude's ear and when he went to see the doctor, he was given a death sentence since anyone who had ever come up against one of these worms before almost always died as a result. but then one day, the worm crawled back out of his ear and he thought he was cured. looking to get a clean bill of health from the doctor then and acting just a little bit too arrogant about it, he then goes back to see the doctor for a check-up only to be told that the worm was actually a female and that it laid eggs inside his brain. the resultant blood-curdling scream the man yelled and the look of sheer terror on his face while holding onto his ear left a rather lasting impression on this boy to the point where i actually went to bed wearing ear-muffs for a few nights after that.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby contagious216 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:15 am

Not old enough to have seen these shows back in the day. But as a kid I liked watching the Twilight Zone marathons. Never heard of Night Gallery until this thread so I thought I'd check it out. Tons episodes (43) are on the HULU.

http://www.hulu.com/night-gallery

Jeez oh man, kids these days probably think Twilight Zone is the new merch rack in the front of Spencer's
contagious216

Favorite Player: maravich
Least Favorite Player: steelers

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 pm

The older show that frequently gave me nightmares is Outer Limits. I haven't seen an episode since my childhood which is longer ago than I want to admit.... when Outer Limits just wasn't black and white, all of TV was black and white. I still vividly remember an episode when I was around 5 years old, and even have more vivid memories of the recurring corresponding nightmare that resulted from it.

Edit: I just looked up the episode. It was the original episode in the series. It was called "Galaxy Being." And I was 5 years old.
OldDawg

Re: Alfred Hitchock Presents and Night Gallery (& Outer Limits)

Unread postby dem425 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Back in the B&W TV days when they were showing the Outer Limits, does anyone remember when they would "blackout" the monster or creature in the episode and show it after the 11:00PM news?

I seem to remember that because the show was aired in primetime, the TV people thought some of the creatures were too intense because kids were still up at 8:00PM.

The Outer Limits episode that had the ANTS with human faces had me shittin' my pants back then.
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 am

OldDawg wrote:The older show that frequently gave me nightmares is Outer Limits. I haven't seen an episode since my childhood which is longer ago than I want to admit.... when Outer Limits just wasn't black and white, all of TV was black and white. I still vividly remember an episode when I was around 5 years old, and even have more vivid memories of the recurring corresponding nightmare that resulted from it.

Edit: I just looked up the episode. It was the original episode in the series. It was called "Galaxy Being." And I was 5 years old.

I was wrong. The episode was "The Bellaro Shield." I had recurring nightmares about a glowing alien coming down on a beam of light in my back yard. And as in any nightmare, I was the only person that saw him. I hid in the kitchen and I always woke up from the nightmare as he came near the open kitchen door through the garage, glowing.
OldDawg

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture