Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Biggest Sell Out Ever

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:15 am

And to think, I drafted this guy in the R&R draft.

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Nah. Nothing smacks of "sell out" as bad as Load and ReLoad. It took the "metal" out of Metallica so all we were left with was "lica." Thank God they got Rick Rubin and Robert Trujillo because Death Magnetic is the best thing they've done in 20 years. I even bought it. Not because I'm against downloadine, but I didn't want Lars to sue me.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Did you hear the Black Album? That was not metal. And Justice For All was the last decent album, and that was meh.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14421
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Did you hear the Black Album? That was not metal. And Justice For All was the last decent album, and that was meh.


I'm no fan of the s/t album either, but the loads of crap make it sound like "Reign In Blood."
I did dig "And Justice...." though. But def. the first 3 are the masterpieces. Plus w/ the loads they did a whole image makeover to fit with the 90's. It was putrid.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 pm

You're surprised, Eeyore? Cornell has mailed it in ever since he left Soundgarden.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby TribeNut » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:47 pm

How dare a guy try to branch into any other form of music. Man, that 'sell out'... :pop:

You know its funny, when I was a teenager I hated Load and Reload, too. Then I grew up, listened to them again and found that I liked them more than anything they had done since their early days. Especially all the covers on Garage inc. It was like they had grown up musically and found other formulas.
User avatar
TribeNut
Late Inning Defensive Replacement
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:54 am
Favorite Player: Lou Marson
Least Favorite Player: Aj Pierzinski

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:00 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:You're surprised, Eeyore? Cornell has mailed it in ever since he left Soundgarden.


The first Audioslave album was outstanding.

And yeah he has mailed it in to write his poetry and be "super deep," not to pretend he is Justin Timberlake (poorly) and ship the single only to Canada and Europe.

I never got into his solo crap, but this is just wrong.

He had effing Timberland produce it and threwa cameo from Method Man in there. Try to tell me this wasn't done for nothing but a quick buck from the weirdo Euro's.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:07 pm

TribeNut wrote:How dare a guy try to branch into any other form of music. Man, that 'sell out'... :pop:

You know its funny, when I was a teenager I hated Load and Reload, too. Then I grew up, listened to them again and found that I liked them more than anything they had done since their early days. Especially all the covers on Garage inc. It was like they had grown up musically and found other formulas.

Well youngan, what if CDT and I were already all grown up when the loads came out, and we still don't like 'em?
There's a few catchy hard rock tunes between 'em, but overall I didn't dig. It was a blatant attempt to fit into the alt-rock scene.
Anthrax "Stomp 442"
Testament "Demonic"
Pantera "The Great Southern Trendkill"
Slayer "Diabolus in Musica"
Megadeth "Cryptic Writings"
were all far superior metal albums that still had a melodic groove to them. And they came out in the same time frame as the loads.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:You're surprised, Eeyore? Cornell has mailed it in ever since he left Soundgarden.


The first Audioslave album was outstanding.

And yeah he has mailed it in to write his poetry and be "super deep," not to pretend he is Justin Timberlake (poorly) and ship the single only to Canada and Europe.

I never got into his solo crap, but this is just wrong.

He had effing Timberland produce it and threwa cameo from Method Man in there. Try to tell me this wasn't done for nothing but a quick buck from the weirdo Euro's.

Audioslave was good to fall asleep to.

RATM's first album was epic, but they never grew. RATM made the same album 3 times in a row. Then split up. Audioslave was uber boring.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Tymaster wrote:Audioslave was good to fall asleep to.


Exactly. There was no vitality to it whatsoever. It was rock-for-the-paycheck all the way.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:38 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Tymaster wrote:Audioslave was good to fall asleep to.


Exactly. There was no vitality to it whatsoever. It was rock-for-the-paycheck all the way.


I was very dissapointed in that "supergroup."
Now Chickenfoot on the other hand........................................
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 pm

And this is coming from someone who loved Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden. The fact that I liked those two bands so much made Audioslave an even bigger disappointment.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:16 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:And this is coming from someone who loved Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden. The fact that I liked those two bands so much made Audioslave an even bigger disappointment.

Supergroups rarely live up to their hype.
HSAS and Chickenfoot are rare examples. But again, to some those two suck. I just happen to like Sammy Hagar and thought he and Neil Schon were awesome together in 1982/3, and think that the foot w/ he and Satriani is surprisingly groovey and melodic. It's a hard rock boogie and the smiles on the faces of Sammy, Chad Smith, Sat, and Mikey come through your speakers. You're talking about 4 people with enough money to buy and sell anything. They don't have to be playing clubs. They are doing it for fun.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Tymaster wrote:Supergroups rarely live up to their hype.
HSAS and Chickenfoot are rare examples. But again, to some those two suck. I just happen to like Sammy Hagar and thought he and Neil Schon were awesome together in 1982/3, and think that the foot w/ he and Satriani is surprisingly groovey and melodic. It's a hard rock boogie and the smiles on the faces of Sammy, Chad Smith, Sat, and Mikey come through your speakers. You're talking about 4 people with enough money to buy and sell anything. They don't have to be playing clubs. They are doing it for fun.


:cheers:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Agree to disagree on the first Audioslave album, I was/am a big fan. Don't like any of the follow ups though.

I also loved Mad Season and Temple of The Dog on the supergroup front.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Tymaster wrote: But def. the first 3 are the masterpieces. Plus w/ the loads they did a whole image makeover to fit with the 90's. It was putrid.


:thumb up: Also Great Southern Trendkill = FUN!!!! Metallica also pulled the same shit in trying to sound like System of a Down on St. Anger. I HATED that album more then load and reloa, and to be honest never gave Death Magnetic a chance... I'll stick to Whiplash, Four Horseman, Battery, Fade to Black, etc...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 pm

The Great Southern Trendkill was a sick album. Reinventing The Steel, not so much. I don't think PanterA ever sold out.

Metallca$h lost all of their metalness when they put out that abomination known as The Black Album.

Rage Against The Machine, I loved their music, but they were total frauds. Billy Milano trashed them with his M.O.D. song Rage Against The MAC Machine. They were rich assholes , just like all the people the claimed to be against. Battle For Los Angeles was a big disappointment. Critics loved it, it had some good songs, but for the most part it was very blah.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14421
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The Great Southern Trendkill was a sick album. Reinventing The Steel, not so much. I don't think PanterA ever sold out.

Metallca$h lost all of their metalness when they put out that abomination known as The Black Album.

Rage Against The Machine, I loved their music, but they were total frauds. Billy Milano trashed them with his M.O.D. song Rage Against The MAC Machine. They were rich assholes , just like all the people the claimed to be against. Battle For Los Angeles was a big disappointment. Critics loved it, it had some good songs, but for the most part it was very blah.

I've had a few opportunities to hang w/ said Billy Milano. He's a right wing nut job ala Ted Nugent, but he's class all the way in terms of treating his fans well. One time, on SOD's 97 "reunion" tour I ran into him at Hooters in the Flats (SOD was playing Peabodys) I didn't want to bug while he ate, but he saw my shirt and came over to my table! I mentioned we just drove three hours to see him. Long story short, when the bill came, the lovely waitress said "the big guy over there paid your tab!" LOL! Fast forward a couple of years. It was thanksgiving, SOD were playing that shithole AlRosa Villa in C-Bus. A friend of mine got us on the tour bus. Scott Ian was busy playing rock star (he's a prick btw) Charlie Benante (he's nice as hell, but doesn't know how to run his career, Anthrax are a joke now thanks to he and Scotts idoicy) and I were watching a recently uncovered KISS bootleg, Billy was playing PlayStation, and even though the owner of the Al Rosa Villa cooked the bands a thanksgiving feast, Dan "crack head" Lilker was out driving around with a fellow stoner, looking for DOMINOS of all fucking places. That's my SOD story. Thanks for listening.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah Milano is a wee bit too rightwing crazy fringe for me, and his M.O.D. album sucked, I just like the fact he takes shots a people. He had a song about Star Trek, and how much being "Crewman #6" must suck. The premise was funny, the music was bad.

Billy Milano has one of the best quotes ever about Scott Ian, "Scott Ian is so boring VH1 took his show away"

The Al Rosa is a shithole, now it's a famous shithole because of Dime getting shot.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14421
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

"And Justice . . . " came out just as I was discovering Heavy Metal as a teenager. By the time the Black Album came out, I had a Metallica shirt for every day of the week.

I liked the Black Album at the time, but I don't think I've listened to it in 10 years now. Whenever I pull out Metallica, it's usually one of the first four albums.

I do like Death Magnetic, definitely their best stuff in 20 years.

Thought Audioslave's 1st was okay, not great, but listenable. I listened to their second disc once, and haven't been motivated to listen to it since.

Pearl Jam has a new one coming out in September, they just announced it the other day on their Web site. Foo Fighters also have some kind of collection coming out in November, they didn't specify if it was going to be a 'Greatest Hits' or a collection of B-sides. (I'm hoping for the B-sides, some of those tracks are AWESOME)
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah Milano is a wee bit too rightwing crazy fringe for me, and his M.O.D. album sucked, I just like the fact he takes shots a people. He had a song about Star Trek, and how much being "Crewman #6" must suck. The premise was funny, the music was bad.

Billy Milano has one of the best quotes ever about Scott Ian, "Scott Ian is so boring VH1 took his show away"

The Al Rosa is a shithole, now it's a famous shithole because of Dime getting shot.

I always hated the Al Rosa. Ugh. Much prefer the Newport.
I was supposed to be at that DamagePlan show. Maybe God does love me. I was Student Council Advisor that year, and couldn't get out of a Junior High Basketball game in time to go. My StuCo was running the concessions to raise funds for a field trip to Camp Mary Orton for a day zip lining!!!! At any rate, everyone thought I was there, so my cell was running like mad to make sure I was ok. "It's ok mom, I didn't go, I stayed home," "It's ok Mike, I didn't get out of school in time, yes, I am alive, you're talking to me aren't you." I still have an unused ticket. I thought about ebaying it, but profiting off of a good mans murder seems a bit scumbag to me. I've got it framed w/ a picture of me and a really stoned out Philip Anselmo from a SuperJointRitual show at the Cleveland Odeon.

As for $cott Ian, I've met Anthrax several times over the years. Charlie actually used to e-mail me and get me passes cause we were both Star Wars geeks and KISS geeks. Charlene got pissed at me when I told him my opinion of the "reunion." Hasn't spoken to me since. Oh well. I was right. That "reunion" tanked, and John Bush told the band to F*** off when they came crawling back to him. Now Anthrax have a Phil Anselmo wannabe. At any rate, Charlie, Frankie Bello, and John Bush were always cool and classy. John took me to dinner in 1996 after the World Series of Metal in 1996. Charlie gave me KISS bootlegs on VHS. Frankie played PS2 with me on the bus. $cott was always too busy to shake hands or sign stuff for anyone. He was always name dropping. Or kissing the headlining bands ass for press. He's two faced too. He'd talk smack about Metallica and Slipknot and SLayer (i.e. anyone bigger than Anthrax) but when those bands come calling for opening slots he's on Vh1 talking about their greatness.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm

justmebd wrote:"And Justice . . . " came out just as I was discovering Heavy Metal as a teenager. By the time the Black Album came out, I had a Metallica shirt for every day of the week.  I liked the Black Album at the time, but I don't think I've listened to it in 10 years now. Whenever I pull out Metallica, it's usually one of the first four albums.I do like Death Magnetic, definitely their best stuff in 20 years.Thought Audioslave's 1st was okay, not great, but listenable. I listened to their second disc once, and haven't been motivated to listen to it since.Pearl Jam has a new one coming out in September, they just announced it the other day on their Web site. Foo Fighters also have some kind of collection coming out in November, they didn't specify if it was going to be a 'Greatest Hits' or a collection of B-sides. (I'm hoping for the B-sides, some of those tracks are AWESOME)
Foo Fighters > 90% of the other rock bands in the world.Love the foo!Ironically, I hated Nirvana.Thank you Kurt for offing yourself, b/c the Foo is the shit.
Tymaster
 

Re: Biggest Sell Out Ever

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 pm

I think Lithium is the only Nirvana track I ever really liked. It is fun to point out to the Cobain worshippers that the band didn't strike it big until Grohl joined the band.

Looking at Grohl's track record, pretty much everything he touches turns to gold.

Check this out: Grohl and Will Ferrell covering "leather and lace." Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLzAWUY6Xo
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest