Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Revolutionary Road

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Revolutionary Road

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 pm

After realizing True Blood was a repeat tonight, went to a flick Mitch recommended on the phone earlier this week, Revolutionary Road. As usual, Mitch came through.

Unhappy married couple in suburbia Connecticut, played by DiCaprio and Winslet. Winslet is a stay at home mother and wife, who seems to want more than that. She had dreams of becoming an actress but it never seemed to work out. She's angry, depressed and really cold at times. DiCaprio works in the city, is unhappy with his job and bored with his life. The relationship devolves, and they begin to teeter on the brink of marital and emotional collapse.

Powerhouse performances by DiCaprio and Winslet, maybe the best two actors on the planet right now. Gritty, gripping drama. Nothing happy and fuzzy about this one.

Really amazing acting in this one. No better actor out there than DiCaprio right now, this is exhibit A. Winslet was great as well. Also Kathy Bates ... and the dude that played her crazy son, very very good.

Directed by Winslet's husband, Sam Mendes, who also directed American Beauty. Some of that in this one.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Revolutionary Road

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 am

Swerb wrote:After realizing True Blood was a repeat tonight, went to a flick Mitch recommended on the phone earlier this week, Revolutionary Road. As usual, Mitch came through.

Unhappy married couple in suburbia Connecticut, played by DiCaprio and Winslet. Winslet is a stay at home mother and wife, who seems to want more than that. She had dreams of becoming an actress but it never seemed to work out. She's angry, depressed and really cold at times. DiCaprio works in the city, is unhappy with his job and bored with his life. The relationship devolves, and they begin to teeter on the brink of marital and emotional collapse.

Powerhouse performances by DiCaprio and Winslet, maybe the best two actors on the planet right now. Gritty, gripping drama. Nothing happy and fuzzy about this one.

Really amazing acting in this one. No better actor out there than DiCaprio right now, this is exhibit A. Winslet was great as well. Also Kathy Bates ... and the dude that played her crazy son, very very good.

Directed by Winslet's husband, Sam Mendes, who also directed American Beauty. Some of that in this one.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago. Searched this board for a thread, a mention, anything. Really curious as to why this has not gotten way more play - absolutely fantastic. A must see.

A marriage disintegrates before your very eyes, and you cannot objectively play the blame game - it's his fault, it's her fault, etc. Both characters are deeply flawed, yet you so desperately want them to prevail. Not for those who like happy endings.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby docstank » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 am

Pretty good flick, how about Winslet's character? WOW. I didn't know if I should feel sorry for her or punch her in the face;) J/K of course. It was American beauty from a different decade IMO, which worked for me.
docstank

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 am

docstank wrote:Pretty good flick, how about Winslet's character? WOW. I didn't know if I should feel sorry for her or punch her in the face;) J/K of course. It was American beauty from a different decade IMO, which worked for me.

It didn't have the humor of "American Beauty", but there is nothing wrong with that.

AFAIC, if you like "Mad Men", you'll really like Revolutionary Road. This was the era when my parents were young adults, and it's fascinating as hell to look back at a time so many people describe as "perfect" and see that things were really pretty screwed up back then as well.

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 pm

The score was awesome as well(Thomas Newman.)
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Swerb : Kate Winslet : : FUDU : Diane Lane
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 am

JB wrote:Swerb : Kate Winslet : : FUDU : Diane Lane

Why does Rich have Kate's pic on his Capitol One card?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Watched this flick tonight and was not overly impressed. Its possible I expected too much from a film directed by Mendes and starring Winslet & DiCaprio. It was like watching a long, slow train wreck that no one could stop. I understand this is the point of the film but I didnt connect enough with the characters to truly have an vested interest. Perhaps if more of the courtship of this couple was shown it might have resonated more with me.

Overall, not a terrible flick but a film I would suggest borrowing from a friend or watching on the movie channels instead of paying to see.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture