Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Quality of MTV/VH1 as of late

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Quality of MTV/VH1 as of late

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:59 am

This thread is pretty much meant as to not derail the "Michael Jackson Dead" thread.

I've been pretty disappointed that the network that used to boast about how it was promoting new artists and such has been reduced to some lame cheap reality show.

I've read several places that for some odd reason more people watch the BS reality shows than videos. I can admit to be somewhat guilty of that, the occasional viewing of Jackass and it's fun to make fun of the "True life" shows. I think in theory too that maybe it's cheaper to air those moreso than Music Videos as of late.

But the rest of it is pure trash. I remember being pretty psyched for a show called "Two-a-days" which was to feature some HS Football team in Alabama, I was thinking that they would show a pretty true representations of what people who played the sport (like myself at the time) went through, the sacrifices, the exhaustion and such. Nope, it was pretty much all about kids focusing on the prom and their ditzy cheerleader girlfriends.

As for VH1, they have seem to follow the same formula that MTV has done, turning itself into a wasteland. Should I really care about the guy from Poison getting laid? I'm sure the guy is doing fine, and odesn't need a reality show to find the latest reject skank ho's from Inbred Country. Seriously the only thing that show is good for is being made fun of by "The Soup".

I'm starting to wonder why when companies like Viacom and Disney buy a family of networks like ESPN or MTV that they slowly but surely decline in quality.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: The Quality of MTV/VH1 as of late

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 am

Watch VH1 Classic, they play all the videos. Weekend mornings they play 4 hours of 80's videos then go into a Metal block fro about an hour and a half. This way you can ignore all the other crap. VH1 Soul plays alot of music too from R&B to Reggae.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby contagious216 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:27 am

If music videos got higher ratings than True Life or Real World, they would gladly play music videos. But their audience doesn't care about music videos. On a side note, I'm surprised MTV and VH1 haven't joined the high definition club yet.
contagious216

Favorite Player: maravich
Least Favorite Player: steelers

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

I would prefer these channels to play music videos also. But the reality shows surely pull in better ratings and that's why they go with them. If you turn on Bret Michaels "Rock of Love", the show lasts an hour. Each music video is 3-5 mins. You watch for 10 minutes and then a song comes on that you hate so you change the channel. Then you don't ever come back to the channel with videos because you get stuck watching something else.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:39 pm

MTV really needs to bring back Pauly Shore. I loved "Totally Pauly".
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:12 pm

I blame MTV and VH1 for the decline of our culture. Because of them, they brought Brett Michaels and the walking STD know as Flava Flav back into the American mindset. The Real World? Really? If that's the real world then lets launch the nukes.

How to make The Real World

2 hot brainless chicks
2 dopey fratboys with drinking problems
1 Token gay person
1 Token Minority
1 wild card
+
Mansion full of booze.= "The Real World".

How to make Rock Of/Flavor of Love

1 Washed up Rocker/Rapper
16 Ghetto/White Trash sluts dying for TV time
10 Stupid challenges (a real challenge would be 3rd grade math and who can pass a STD test)
1 Bus/ Mansion
Gratuitous Whoring and swearing
Cat Fights
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:44 pm

I'm with you CDT. Never watch either channel. The down fall of civilization.

"MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken" -L. Black
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:49 pm

It all started with YO MTV Raps. This is the show that got them away from constant videos.

It was by far their highest rated hour, and it went from there.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I blame MTV and VH1 for the decline of our culture. Because of them, they brought Brett Michaels and the walking STD know as Flava Flav back into the American mindset. The Real World? Really? If that's the real world then lets launch the nukes.

How to make The Real World

2 hot brainless chicks
2 dopey fratboys with drinking problems
1 Token gay person
1 Token Minority
1 wild card
+
Mansion full of booze.= "The Real World".

How to make Rock Of/Flavor of Love

1 Washed up Rocker/Rapper
16 Ghetto/White Trash sluts dying for TV time
10 Stupid challenges (a real challenge would be 3rd grade math and who can pass a STD test)
1 Bus/ Mansion
Gratuitous Whoring and swearing
Cat Fights

Yep, dead on right there. Seriously, VH1 has to have the worst programming in the history of the world. Daisy of Love? Charm School with Ricki Lake? Who watches this crap and why?

I long for the days when people were popular and were given tv airtime because they had some sort of discernible talent. Now just obnoxious, talentless, classless pieces of trash are famous.

Oh, and it should be completely legal to beat the crap outta Spencer and Heidi. The are nothing more than oxygen thieves.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:48 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Yep, dead on right there. Seriously, VH1 has to have the worst programming in the history of the world. Daisy of Love? Charm School with Ricki Lake? Who watches this crap and why?

I long for the days when people were popular and were given tv airtime because they had some sort of discernible talent. Now just obnoxious, talentless, classless pieces of trash are famous.

Oh, and it should be completely legal to beat the crap outta Spencer and Heidi. The are nothing more than oxygen thieves.

I have friends that are addicted to it. I don't get it, but I also have never gotten the whole "reality" TV. They love American Idol too and I avoid it like the plague.

Television blows goats nowadays. Good sitcoms are hard to find. I find CSI to be boring. Quite frankly, I don't care for the HBO stuff much either. I usually will watch movies or old shows on DVDs if I'm going to watch something anymore.

Haven't watched anything on MTV or VH1 in a long time. I used to occasionally watch the VH1 "Stuck in the 70s" type stuff. But that got old really quick.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

I have friends that are addicted to it. I don't get it, but I also have never gotten the whole "reality" TV. They love American Idol too and I avoid it like the plague.

Amen! I loathe American Idol and thought I was the only one left on the planet who did. Its not music, its just a manufactured product, like socks.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

Television blows goats nowadays. Good sitcoms are hard to find. I find CSI to be boring. Quite frankly, I don't care for the HBO stuff much either. I usually will watch movies or old shows on DVDs if I'm going to watch something anymore.

Haven't watched anything on MTV or VH1 in a long time. I used to occasionally watch the VH1 "Stuck in the 70s" type stuff. But that got old really quick.

I'm sort of shocked, thought I was the only in that boat.

once "The Sopranos" left HBO, I really couldn't get into anything else on the channel with the exception being the brilliant John Adams Mini-series. I respect the HBO/Showtime series, but they don't much for me, neither do a lot of the Cop/Murder/CSI LAW And Order psychic weird crazy lady like shows.

Sitcoms themselves have also gotten a bit stale, I am probably in the minority but I don't find "Two and a Half men" funny, it's just sort of repetitive, and I've met a lot of people who keep insisting that's its hilarious.

The only really current shows I follow anymore are Family Guy, The Office, King of the Hill and The Soup. I used to be a huge fan of SNL and The Simpsons but both shows have seen brighter days and the lattter needs to be sent to pasture quick.

AMC is where it's at though, usually they show a great movie on any given day, the only down side is that's it's basic cable and you get a lot of censored stuff.

Also on a weird side note, I've caught MTV before playing "Rudy". Don't get me wrong on this, a GREAT Movie one of my favorites of all time and I'm glad it's stealing air time away from "The Hills" or some garbage show, but I have yet to understand why it's getting played on MUSIC television.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 am

Triple-S wrote:I'm sort of shocked, thought I was the only in that boat.

once "The Sopranos" left HBO, I really couldn't get into anything else on the channel with the exception being the brilliant John Adams Mini-series. I respect the HBO/Showtime series, but they don't much for me, neither do a lot of the Cop/Murder/CSI LAW And Order psychic weird crazy lady like shows.

Sitcoms themselves have also gotten a bit stale, I am probably in the minority but I don't find "Two and a Half men" funny, it's just sort of repetitive, and I've met a lot of people who keep insisting that's its hilarious.

The only really current shows I follow anymore are Family Guy, The Office, King of the Hill and The Soup. I used to be a huge fan of SNL and The Simpsons but both shows have seen brighter days and the lattter needs to be sent to pasture quick.

AMC is where it's at though, usually they show a great movie on any given day, the only down side is that's it's basic cable and you get a lot of censored stuff.

Also on a weird side note, I've caught MTV before playing "Rudy". Don't get me wrong on this, a GREAT Movie one of my favorites of all time and I'm glad it's stealing air time away from "The Hills" or some garbage show, but I have yet to understand why it's getting played on MUSIC television.

The Sopranos never really did it for me either. I'm far from a tea totaler, but all the garbage in it makes it far less appealing. I think too many writers use sex and swear words as crutches and I'm not really big into mob stuff anyways. The Godfather is just okay in my eyes. I'd rather watch an old western.

SNL has been bad since Phil Hartman and that cast left. There are occasional moments where it is funny, but they are few and far between.

The one sitcom I've liked over the past several years has been Scrubs, but it is not like other sitcoms. No studio audience and it has quite a few dramatic moments.

Family Guy is just okay occasionally. The funniest bits are the "out of nowhere" tangents that it goes on, mainly due to shock value. It was funnier when it was first on.

The stuff I watch most is usually on cable. Liberal doses of the History Channel. I'll watch Mythbusters every once in a while and usually like most of the stuff on Smithsonian HD. Really have liked History Channel's The Universe series quite a bit.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Loved the Sopranos, I think they went heavy on the sex and swearing because it's realistic in that setting. I can't lie i'm a big HBO fan, loved Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnival, Lucky Louie, Band Of Brothers (Best Show Ever any network), and Curb Your Enthusiasim. Probably missing some too.

Scrubs was great, I quit watching when it when it left NBC. So many great lines. "What has 2 thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Bob Kelso, nice to meet you"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Worst show ever! Why some of the fathers on this show did not kick the shit out of the boyfriend sitting on the couch next to them acting like a gangsta I will never know...

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/parental_co ... ries.jhtml
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Tymaster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:37 am

Erie Warrior wrote:I'm with you CDT. Never watch either channel. The down fall of civilization.

"MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken" -L. Black

Total agreement here as well.
I haven't watched eMpTyV since the original Headbangers Ball was cancelled which was when I was in high school. I do have to admit that I grew up watching that every Saturday night. As well as "Highlander: The Series" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I had a routine. Then came girls, cars, jobs, and college.....
At any rate, the programming on all of the MTV/VH1 channels is pretty horrendous. I occasionally watch "That Metal Show" w/ Eddie Trunk, but that is rare.
I sometimes wonder why I pay TW $150 per month considering what I watch. I wish cable was "ala carte." I'd be happy w/ HBO, TLC, Bio, History, Discovery, MSNBC, Fox SPorts, STO, and the networks. I pretty much watch:
All Cavs games
All Browns games, unless the C-Bus CBS airs the Bungles, in which case I listen to the game on radio or head to a sports bar w/ the Browns backers.
All Browns related shows on STO.
Just about every HBO series.
David Letterman
Craig Ferguson
The Simpsons
The Family Guy
And liberal doses of history, discovery, etc. Whatever catches my eye.
Tymaster

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Scrubs was great, I quit watching when it when it left NBC. So many great lines. "What has 2 thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Bob Kelso, nice to meet you"

Last season was good. The finale was probably the best TV finale I've seen. Very well done.

My favorite:

"It's actually pronounced analgesic, not ANALgesic. The pills go in your mouth sir."
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Last season was good. The finale was probably the best TV finale I've seen. Very well done.

My favorite:

"It's actually pronounced analgesic, not ANALgesic. The pills go in your mouth sir."

Hell yeah, love Scrubs, such as a great show. Also concur on the finale, what a wonderfully done episode. The janitor (aka Dr. Jan Itor) made that show. All the characters were great but he was just freakin hilarious and I read somewhere that he ad libbed a lot of his lines..

"Hooch is crazy!"

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Watch VH1 Classic, they play all the videos. Weekend mornings they play 4 hours of 80's videos then go into a Metal block fro about an hour and a half. This way you can ignore all the other crap. VH1 Soul plays alot of music too from R&B to Reggae.

+ 1

Seeing the 80's videos again is priceless.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby RC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:18 pm

If it wasn't for my wife and kids liking some of their shows I think I would honestly cancel my cable and no longer watch TV. I would watch the Cavs online like I do now on my laptop while I am traveling.

Although I agree with CDT that Band of Brothers on HBO was awesome. John Adams and Rome I thought were pretty good as well.

I do like Rescue Me of FX since my wife is a huge Denis Leary fan.

MTV/VH1 is a total joke. VH1 Classic is good for the reasons listed above.

I do watch other shows and try to keep up mainly since I am a door to door cable salesman. The Soup on E! is a lifesaver for me because I catch the main stories on all these crap shows in a half hour.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

RC wrote:If it wasn't for my wife and kids liking some of their shows I think I would honestly cancel my cable and no longer watch TV. I would watch the Cavs online like I do now on my laptop while I am traveling.

Although I agree with CDT that Band of Brothers on HBO was awesome. John Adams and Rome I thought were pretty good as well.

I do watch other shows and try to keep up mainly since I am a door to door cable salesman. The Soup on E! is a lifesaver for me because I catch the main stories on all these crap shows in a half hour.

Yes, Rome and John Adams were friggin great. Paul Giamatti was superb as John Adams, one of the 10 best acting jobs i've seen.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby buddycowley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 pm

OK, I'll fess up.

I watch Charm School AND Daisy of Love.

It is just like a car wreck on the freeway, you know you don't want to look, but you just can't turn away.

Plus, there isn't much else to watch at 2 on a Wednesday afternoon in the summer.

The people on those shows are absolute trainwrecks, and I think watching these shows reminds me how good I have it in my own life.
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby Indyan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I was recently at a theater which ran the requisite 15 minutes of commercials before the show. In there was an ad from the Cartoon Network detailing some new shows. What shows? Reality shows! This sent my brain into a irreconcilable paradoxical loop. It's a channel based soley on cartoons.....airing shows which have nothing to do with cartoons....then why have a "cartoon network" which airs tween-based knockoffs of popular reality shows?

I just had a thought. C-SPAN should hop on the reality bandwagon. Just get some cameras and follow some long-serving house or senate members to see what wild shenanigans they find themselves in. Odds are you could get a show containing at least one of a) excessive alcohol/drug use b) sexual expolits c) money spent like water d) yelling/cussing/fighting. On the upside the millions who follow reality tv might learn more about their politicians, and people like the octomom might never get a chance to grab the spotlight.

Triple-S wrote:The only really current shows I follow anymore are Family Guy, The Office...
Sorry to go off-topic, and maybe this has been discussed here already. Does anyone else feel that the season finale of The Office could have been a good series finale? I think the writers do a good job, but I wonder if the show is beginning to (or has) run its course. I'm curious to know what new storylines can emerge, and how they will do so without rehashing old situations using different characters.
Indyan

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:10 pm

buddycowley wrote:OK, I'll fess up.

I watch Charm School AND Daisy of Love.

It is just like a car wreck on the freeway, you know you don't want to look, but you just can't turn away.

Plus, there isn't much else to watch at 2 on a Wednesday afternoon in the summer.

The people on those shows are absolute trainwrecks, and I think watching these shows reminds me how good I have it in my own life.

I'm with you on Charm School Buddy.

Good lord. Can anyone be dumber?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:49 pm

I love MTV/VH1's work ethic. "We'll just rehash the same 3 shows and the people will love it!" "Bwahahhahahah".

Reminds me of the Underpants Gnomes from South Park

Step 1- Collect Underpants

Step 2-

Step 3- Profit

Spencer and Heidi should be sterilized and i'm not kidding. If those two breed, the resulting spawn could be so stupid it might create a black hole of dumbness.
Last edited by Cerebral_DownTime on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby tecs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:31 pm

RC wrote:If it wasn't for my wife and kids liking some of their shows I think I would honestly cancel my cable and no longer watch TV. I would watch the Cavs online like I do now on my laptop while I am traveling.

Don't do it yet, the same producers who made Band of Brothers are doing the same for the pacific, called "The Pacific". I believe it runs early next year.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby buddycowley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 am

JB wrote:I'm with you on Charm School Buddy.

Good lord. Can anyone be dumber?

At the least, I believe some of them when they talk about the issues they've had in the past and how they contributed to their current state of mind. Like the Tequila-chick. Have to give her a little credit for dropping the booze and whatnot.

I look at that show like American Idol though. I only care to watch when all the horrible people are still there. Once it gets down to the "real" people, it just isn't quite as interesting anymore. ONE hot mess is always funny, but TEN of them in a room at the same time. Gold.

The shows where they follow people's lives, like that Brooke Hogan show, and the Laguna Beach/Hills shows I've never watched.
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Indyan wrote:I was recently at a theater which ran the requisite 15 minutes of commercials before the show. In there was an ad from the Cartoon Network detailing some new shows. What shows? Reality shows! This sent my brain into a irreconcilable paradoxical loop. It's a channel based soley on cartoons.....airing shows which have nothing to do with cartoons....then why have a "cartoon network" which airs tween-based knockoffs of popular reality shows?

Oh but they're not stopping there!

:bag:

Are kids today not that into cartoons or something? I LIVED off of that back in the day with the occasional mix in of some cheesey reality show with Mike O'Malley hosting.

Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Adult Swim has a few non cartoon show. They're all terrible. Still love Aqua Teen, Sealab, Squidbillies, and Metalocalypse.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Adult Swim has a few non cartoon show. They're all terrible. Still love Aqua Teen, Sealab, Squidbillies, and Metalocalypse.

I'm ashamed to admit I've only caught a few glances of all of those as I mainly use Adult Swim to watch King of the Hill and Family Guy, but Squidbillies from the few eps I've seen seems hilarious. I keep thinking that it's a documentary on what Inbred fans do in their spare time. I gotta keep trying to watch that more.

Triple-S

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture