Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Michael Jackson dead at 50

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Michael Jackson dead at 50

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

Shocker to me. I remember being five years old in the midst of Thrillermania. Jackson and Return of the Jedi were the biggest things for me going into Kindergarten in 1983.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Michael Jackson dead at 50

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 pm

wasn't alive for thriller, sorry i could care less about him. little boys all across the world can now sleep safe...
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Not gonna lie:

I'm not stunned and I'm not the least bit saddened.

12-14 yr old boys all over the world are just a little bit safer tonight.

Maybe a great entertainer, maybe did a tremendous amount from a humanitarian/fundraising perspective. That's just not enough to give him a blank check with young kids.

Let the decomposition begin.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:20 pm

£226 well spent

everything bad happens to me

:bunny:
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:24 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:£226 well spent

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Somebody needs to consolidate the three topics. Feel free to delete mine in this forum, but this one and the one in NHB should probably be merged.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:33 pm

jfiling wrote:Somebody needs to consolidate the three topics. Feel free to delete mine in this forum, but this one and the one in NHB should probably be merged.

I'd keep it in NHB. I ain't done with this bleached out, junkie, no nose, weenie squeezing freak or his legion of fans. :cheers:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
jfiling wrote:Somebody needs to consolidate the three topics. Feel free to delete mine in this forum, but this one and the one in NHB should probably be merged.

I'd keep it in NHB. I ain't done with this bleached out, junkie, no nose, weenie squeezing freak or his legion of fans. :cheers:

:lmfao: worst part is the will be having vigil's for his ass.........................
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 pm

I hear MTV is actually showing his Music Videos because of that.

Thats pretty incredible.

I sort of wish they'd do that more often and mix it up a bit. Have like Young Jeezy, Alice In Chain, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Run DMC, Rick James, Tribe Called Quest be all randomly mixed in. Old and New. It'd be better than watching some douche in a flesh colored beard talk with some slutty chick about mind numbingly dumb topics or some other dumb slutty chick complaining about how her daddy didn't buy her BMW and got her a Lexus instead.

Back on Topic, Love Eddie's Guitar solo in this song, and oddly enough the guys from Toto played on it. :wha?:

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Triple-S wrote:I hear MTV is actually showing his Music Videos because of that.

Damn! It's a momentous occasion indeed if MTV's actually going to start showing Music Videos again.

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Hiko wrote:
Triple-S wrote:I hear MTV is actually showing his Music Videos because of that.

Damn! It's a momentous occasion indeed if MTV's actually going to start showing Music Videos again.

It's probably only temporary :(.

I envy the Gen Xers and the pre-trl generation that had the ability to just sit around and watch videos.

ESPN I think is suffering the same fate at the moment, as both are becoming pretty unwatchable.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:46 am

Triple-S wrote:
It's probably only temporary :(.

I envy the Gen Xers and the pre-trl generation that had the ability to just sit around and watch videos.

ESPN I think is suffering the same fate at the moment, as both are becoming pretty unwatchable.

I remember MTV as it was. The first video I can recall seeing on MTV was Safety Dance by Men Without Hats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOZ6xFxJqg

The song has forever been associated with Renaissance Fairs since then.

I think that was also summer of 1983 for me, so five years old.

By the time I was in high school I recall liking MTV a lot less. Far less music, though TRL wasn't on yet. But by then they were broadcasting The Real World for half the day, or so it seemed. They also had some game shows at the time and started Road Rules during my senior year.

This one aired a lot in the early 80s too and was the first one to air on MTV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJHRisppCo
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:05 am

They just showed one of his old videos and of all people in it was...Magic Johnson. :wha?:

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 am

You can never touch the video production of the late 70's. At 3:14 he's dancing in front of marbles! Must be the ones he lost 6 years later

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hz2am90Hk&feature=featured[/youtube]
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:15 am

If they push his casket outside the church, and the sidewalk lights up, man, that would be fantastic.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 pm

I wonder what Jacko wanted for his funeral

I expect to see Chimpanzees, elephants, lasers, strobe lights, dry ice and someone dressed as peter pan flying around the circus tent his funeral will be performed in
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:I wonder what Jacko wanted for his funeral

I expect to see Chimpanzees, elephants, lasers, strobe lights, dry ice and someone dressed as peter pan flying around the circus tent his funeral will be performed in

He'll probably do something really off the wall like forego a funeral to have his body immediately crogenically frozen so he can be revived in the future.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:I wonder what Jacko wanted for his funeral

He'll probably do something really off the wall like forego a funeral to have his body immediately crogenically frozen so he can be revived in the future.

love the pun

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the concert in London now?

I would hope they'd give folks their money back.

Triple-S

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Loved the guy up until and through his Dangerous LP came out in I believe 91/92. Everything he did after that was garbage for the most part and he really turned into a loon. He had already started that path down lunacy with Bad (not the album, just him).

I was in 4th grade when Thriller came out. That album along with Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction that came out in 87 I think are the two albums that have always had the biggest impact on me and probably have listened to the most in my life. I remember when Thriller was out, I would play outside and then come inside for dinner and then spend the rest of the night watching MTV as long as I was allowed so I could see if Thriller/Beat It/Billie Jean came on. Loved MTV for so long, and on rainy days I would come home from school and spend hours watching waiting for the top of the hour when they had the bit with the astronaut on the moon with the US Flag and then showing what videos were coming up in the next hour. Shit, I remember when Rockwell came out with "Somebody's Watching Me" I thought it was the coolest thing 'cause MJ did the backing vocals in the chorus.

His music, dance and videos really changed a lot of things with the music industry, and made a lot of the hip hop and pop shows you see what they are today with all the choreography, flash, and effects. He really helped MTV take off too with the revolutionary Thriller video which still today I think is amazing (love the prison video of this!).

Really sad. Not so much that he is gone, but what he ultimately became and how it all ended. Still, at least for now, I prefer to remember him as one of the greatest ever enterainers, if not the best. RIP
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Triple-S wrote:I'm wondering what they're going to do with the concert in London now?

I would hope they'd give folks their money back.

me too since they've got £226 of my and my friends' money

refunds for 50 tour dates, that's gonna be costly

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:If they push his casket outside the church, and the sidewalk lights up, man, that would be fantastic.

+ 1

2 minutes later and I am still chuckling on that one.. :lmfao:

In all seriousness though, the guy did represent America in the sense he had massive success, which lead to massive excess, which in turn led to his destruction. Thats the real American story anymore.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

jack_tors wrote:In all seriousness though, the guy did represent America in the sense he had massive success, which lead to massive excess, which in turn led to his destruction. Thats the real American story anymore.

Yep. That's the state of the American dream. Money, Fame, Power, Downfall. Most people would accept the last part if they get to wallow in the first 3 for a couple decades.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Yep. That's the state of the American dream. Money, Fame, Power, Downfall. Most people would accept the last part if they get to wallow in the first 3 for a couple decades.

Ick. Not worth it. The first three don't make you happy at all. Who cares how much money you have if you have no joy or are a complete rat bastard?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:49 pm

If you havn't sung along to this song, than you're lying. :bunny:

Triple-S

Unread postby dem425 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:09 pm

The Jackson Five Album "ABC" (1970)..........................$5.99..................Great Album

Michael Jackson, "Thriller" (1982)................................$9.99..................One of the best ever!!!!!!!

Jacuzzi Suite in Hell for diddling little boys.....................PRICELESS
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Nobody touched as many fans as Michael...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:56 pm

This is a prison in the Phillipines.........Doing Thriller.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:00 am

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:50 am

Seeing the relatively mild response to Jackson's death in the US compared to the rest of the world is amazing. Despite our problems it just seems to me that we're the last bastion for sanity at times.

I'm a very big U2 fan, but if Bono croaked it I wouldn't lose sleep or go nuts. I just have to wonder if so many lives are so empty that this is such a shocking and painful event.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:08 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Seeing the relatively mild response to Jackson's death in the US compared to the rest of the world is amazing. Despite our problems it just seems to me that we're the last bastion for sanity at times.

I'm a very big U2 fan, but if Bono croaked it I wouldn't lose sleep or go nuts. I just have to wonder if so many lives are so empty that this is such a shocking and painful event.

I was wondering who's death would create an equal response

and I could only really think of maybe The Queen, Obama(while in office) and possibly Madonna

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 am

I can't see his thumb in your avatar. There's a very good chance it's stuck up that bird's....... well, up that bird.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I was wondering who's death would create an equal response

and I could only really think of maybe The Queen, Obama(while in office) and possibly Madonna

There are some pockets int he US that are giving off a big reaction, but overall it's not the same. Obama dying at this point in office would be far bigger.

The Queen dying would be a blip on the US' radar. Royalty just doesn't do it for us. It irks me when any US citizen bows to any royalty. It goes against everything in our history IMHO.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:11 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Seeing the relatively mild response to Jackson's death in the US compared to the rest of the world is amazing. Despite our problems it just seems to me that we're the last bastion for sanity at times.

I was wondering who's death would create an equal response

Was just having this convo.... one name that came up was McCartney. But it's a short list.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:36 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
Was just having this convo.... one name that came up was McCartney. But it's a short list.

Bob Dylan?

Maybe not, though most involved in music over the last forty+ years would definitely grieve. Not sure everyone realizes what a huge influence Dylan has had. He just doesn't have the album sales.

McCartney is getting up there in age. Part of it is the shock. Jackson dying at 50. Dying at 70 just isn't as big a deal. Still a big deal, but whenever it is perceived as premature it has a greater impact.

I'd guess if you had a parent die at 50 as opposed to 75. Still painful at 75, but not the same. When I had friends die at 18 and 19 out of the blue that was very, very rough because I was young and so were they. It destroyed the whole aura of invincibility that teenagers generally have.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:57 am

There have really only been three bigger/equal names to die since I was born (71), Princess Diana, the Pope, and Ronald Reagan. I suppose you could make an argument for John Lennon and Elvis but since Michael Jackson was from the music world as they were I think his name truly trumps theirs (don't read that as suggesting Jackson was more talented musically).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:I was wondering who's death would create an equal response

There are some pockets int he US that are giving off a big reaction, but overall it's not the same. Obama dying at this point in office would be far bigger.

The Queen dying would be a blip on the US' radar. Royalty just doesn't do it for us. It irks me when any US citizen bows to any royalty. It goes against everything in our history IMHO.

Americans wouldn't care but it would be big news

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

FUDU wrote:There have really only been three bigger/equal names to die since I was born (71), Princess Diana, the Pope, and Ronald Reagan. I suppose you could make an argument for John Lennon and Elvis but since Michael Jackson was from the music world as they were I think his name truly trumps theirs (don't read that as suggesting Jackson was more talented musically).

Not even close to Elvis IMO.

Not the same zip code even throwing in inflation for internet and cable/satellite explosion.

Elvis was the biggest name to die in my lifetime bar none, say what that may about the world in which we live.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:06 pm

[quote="Peeker643"
Not even close to Elvis IMO.

Not the same zip code even throwing in inflation for internet and cable/satellite explosion.

Elvis was the biggest name to die in my lifetime bar none, say what that may about the world in which we live.[/quote]

Definitely. Elvis has sold more records (over a billion - only the Beatles come close) and Elvis was a bit younger. He also didn't have the same legal clouds over his head.

Lisa Marie Presley did have a blog posting about how Jackson used to talk about dying like Elvis died back when they were married. That really disturbed her from what she said and led to their split up.

Elvis WAS rock'n'roll. He really defined it and created the rules. Jackson might be bigger to many who came after Elvis (as I did), but the reality is that Elvis' death was the biggest of any entertainer ever. It was probably on par with JFK's.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 pm

There will never be another King. Sorry Lebron.

The reason being was the time. You HAD to watch Elvis. You had no other choice.

Look, a guy like my dad thought MJ was the biggest freak on two feet. It's for this reason the guy probably hadn't seen or watched MJ twice in the last 25 years. Plenty of other options.

When the King was on Ed Sullivan, you couldn't turn on football. When he was alohaing it from Hawaii, you either tuned in or read a book.

No cable, no computer, no video games. They'll never be another star as big. The modern world won't allow it.

In my lifetime (and I was only 5 when he dies) there has been nothing even remotely close. Hell, the fact I can clearly remember that day and I was only five says something.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Strictly musically speaking I agree Elvis dwarfs Michael Jackson, other than that I disagree. Also context is a big part of it, you can say screw the world we live in stuff but that is just ignoring reality. No reason to think Elvis wouldn't have thrived in the advent of MTV and music videos but to not fault of Michael Jackson's Jacko himself lived in that time and thrived form it, hell you could say he is the reason there was such a paradigm shift in how music was made and viewed after Elvis's passing.

But throwing Elvis in with Princess Diane, Reagan, the Pope and Michael Jackson of course is legit.

In the end I think most people will go by who they liked listening to more in terms of remembering as a bigger name. Tomato, tomahto I guess.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:38 pm

No mention of MLK, JFK, or RFK. Those names trump Elvis 100 fold.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:No mention of MLK, JFK, or RFK. Those names trump Elvis 100 fold.

I wasn't alive for those assassinations but I've read books on each and I'd agree based on that.
The manner of their untimely death was a big contributing factor but of course either way it would have been gigantic news.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:54 pm

FUDU wrote:Strictly musically speaking I agree Elvis dwarfs Michael Jackson, other than that I disagree. Also context is a big part of it, you can say screw the world we live in stuff but that is just ignoring reality. No reason to think Elvis wouldn't have thrived in the advent of MTV and music videos but to not fault of Michael Jackson's Jacko himself lived in that time and thrived form it, hell you could say he is the reason there was such a paradigm shift in how music was made and viewed after Elvis's passing.

But throwing Elvis in with Princess Diane, Reagan, the Pope and Michael Jackson of course is legit.

In the end I think most people will go by who they liked listening to more in terms of remembering as a bigger name. Tomato, tomahto I guess.

Look, all I can say is Elvis' passing was a WAAAAAAYYY bigger event.

It's not really close.

Anyone who was alive at both times would tell you the same.

You think the all day coverage on CNN is something. Try all day coverage on every channel.

As was alluded above, Elvis was on par with JFK. As that may sound like sacrilege, it just the way it was. There are a zillion bozoz a year that stand outside the gates of Graceland every year for some reason or another, meanwhile the eternal flame gets it's trickle of passers by.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:No mention of MLK, JFK, or RFK. Those names trump Elvis 100 fold.

Those took place before I was around.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:33 pm

FUDU wrote:

Those took place before I was around.

Me too, but I would think their deaths would resonate with the people more than Elvis or MJ. JFK was a murdered President, Elvis was a fat drug addled slug who died taking a shit.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby CP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm

FUDU wrote:Strictly musically speaking I agree Elvis dwarfs Michael Jackson, other than that I disagree. Also context is a big part of it, you can say screw the world we live in stuff but that is just ignoring reality. No reason to think Elvis wouldn't have thrived in the advent of MTV and music videos but to not fault of Michael Jackson's Jacko himself lived in that time and thrived form it, hell you could say he is the reason there was such a paradigm shift in how music was made and viewed after Elvis's passing.

If Michael Jackson had died of sudden means back when he was actually relevant, I might have to agree with you. But the guy was nothing more than a child molester the last 15 yrs of his life and the only people who even paid attention to the guy are those who just bought tickets to a tour (sorry BP).

Elvis was still relevant when he died.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 pm

FUDU,

Question: if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when Elvis died in August '77 ( the day before a family trip to Niagara Falls that was nearly canceled due to that event)?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Me too, but I would think their deaths would resonate with the people more than Elvis or MJ. JFK was a murdered President, Elvis was a fat drug addled slug who died taking a shit.

JFK would have to really be the biggest when I think about it. Young, charismatic President that had inspired a lot of people. I tend to look at him more through the eyes of what he accomplished (not much), but that was not the case in 1963.

MLK was big, though I'm saddened to say that a lot of people likely cheered his death at the time. I think a majority of Americans were shocked and saddened. Though the same can be said of JFK. There are always minorities of people who so greatly dislike a President that seeing him die is a positive. Think about how some people likely would have cheered Bush dying in office (maybe not since Cheney would then be in charge) or those that would cheer it occurring currently. I think they are a tiny minority because most don't wish that on anyone. It's devastating.

Just look at Lincoln and how his assassination has impacted the nation even 130+ years later. Though it depends on the President. McKinley is not mourned (though should be when you look at some of the things TR ended up doing).
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Peeker I was 6 when Elvis died.

Also I think people here are missing the fact that I qualified my list by saying in my lifetime. IOW of course JFK would be the biggest but again that was before me. I am sure it is different for many of us depending on age.

I am not so sure Elvis was relevant when he died, still popular, of course. Not the case with Jackson for sure, but that just goes to show you the old saying timing is everything.

Don't be surprised if Never What Ever Land becomes a very very popular shrine and attraction in the next 2-5 years. IIRC the guy who now owns it has had plans on turning into an attraction about Jackson for years.

FUDU

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture