Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Picture Nominees to Increase to 10

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Best Picture Nominees to Increase to 10

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:51 pm

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — The best-picture lineup at the Academy Awards is doubling from five films to 10, a move organizers said Wednesday will open the field to more worthy movies and possibly boost the ceremony's TV ratings.

The change, which was approved Tuesday night by the board of governors for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, takes effect at next year's Oscars on March 7.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/2 ... 20264.html

==========================================

I don't know about this one.

On one hand, that might have been OK last year, as the certainly would have gotten a nomination for Dark Knight, WALL-E, Gran Torino, Revolutionary Road, and maybe even The Bank Job.

OTOH...the movies so far this year suck, with only Up and Star Trek being that good (and only "Up" would realistically be considered for an Oscar).

I think they're just watering it down.

Re: Best Picture Nominees to Increase to 10

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Woooo! Now Twilight can get it's much deserved nomination (puke). Do they really think having more nominees will increase ratings? Personaly, I don't care what the Oscars think, I know a good movie when I see it, don't need a bunch of Hollywood douchebags telling me what is good and what is not.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby tecs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

As with anything to do with hollywood it's all about the $$$'s.

Pictures which get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture get a boost at both the Box Office and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

The Box Office boost occurs during the slowest time of the year, February.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:50 pm

So, instead of 5 movies nobody has watched, they'll be able to fit in a few that have actually made money, even though they have no chance to win. I wonder if the studios made a donation to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to get this change made. Nothing like re-releasing a movie in January (or whenever) with the "nominated for Best Picture" tag attached.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Do they really think having more nominees will increase ratings? Personaly, I don't care what the Oscars think, I know a good movie when I see it, don't need a bunch of Hollywood douchebags telling me what is good and what is not.

word.
So, instead of 5 movies nobody has watched, they'll be able to fit in a few that have actually made money, even though they have no chance to win.

word.
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Why?? there's barely 5 movies a year these days that are worthy of Best picture nominations
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture