Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Ninja Warrior

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Ninja Warrior

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Anybody ever check out this show? It's on the G4 network. I never watch any other show on the channel because it's one of those channels for gamers and computer geeks, but this show is pretty impressive.

It's an upscale obstacle course with some pretty difficult stuff. Takes place in Japan, with English subtitles, but it's pretty cool. It's sort of like MXC, minus the witty commentary and actual athletes. The competitors tend to dress like their occupation.

Everybody ought to check it out sometime if they're bored.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Ninja Warrior

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Yea, I've seen it before.

I think of it as a very serious version of MXC.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Absolute best part of the show is the fact that they run the course in their professional gear. Like if the cat's a roadworker he's got an orange jumpsuit on. Classic.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Indyan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I like that it can go many competitions without having a winner. (I think they have a competition once every 6 months.) As a contestant, I would imagine there would be a mental challenge to knowing one little mistake sends you home for at least 6 months.

I also wonder how a contest which would not have to declare a winner would do in our American culture. We're so geared to declaring (every)one winner. "Hooray! Everyone's a loser!"
Indyan

Unread postby tecs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Anybody ever check out this show? It's on the G4 network. I never watch any other show on the channel because it's one of those channels for gamers and computer geeks, but this show is pretty impressive.

It's an upscale obstacle course with some pretty difficult stuff. Takes place in Japan, with English subtitles, but it's pretty cool. It's sort of like MXC, minus the witty commentary and actual athletes. The competitors tend to dress like their occupation.

Everybody ought to check it out sometime if they're bored.

NW is entertaining just listening to the hysterical japanese announcer. But don't kid yourself, whilst the majority of the participants are only there for entertainment purposes, there's a hard-core set of real athletes that run the course and do some pretty amazing feats of physical strenght and endurance. They've even had some olympic athletes run it.

The women's version is pretty neat as well, lots of eye candy going on there.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture