Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Crowe as Robin Hood in new Ridley Scott film

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Crowe as Robin Hood in new Ridley Scott film

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Doesn't look right

give me Costner any day (only dub him with an English accent)
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Crowe as Robin Hood in new Ridley Scott film

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Damn. Ridley Scott = awesome, unless he manages to fill a Robin Hood flick with CGI explosions. An Aussie as Robin Hood though... I agree I'd rather have Costner. That guy who played Gaius Baltar in BSG would be a better choice.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Here's what I don't like.

This movie was first to be called "Nottingham", and Crowe was supposed to play the Sheriff of Nottingham not as a bad guy, but as a legitimate rival to Robin Hood in a love triangle with Marian, to be played by Sienna Miller. Now? Crowe is Robin (close to middle aged), Cate Blanchett is Marian, and Mark Strong ("Body of Lies"; "RockNRolla") as Sir Godfrey and Matthew MacFadyen (latest "Pride and Prejudice", MI-5, and "Frost/Nixon") to be the Sheriff.

As bad as Ridley screwed the pooch on "Body of Lies"...I'm really worried about this.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Ian McShane would make a great Sheriff of Nottingham. Not really excited for this one.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:42 pm

The Costner movie was great outside of Costner not using the British accent. I'm not sure that it gets any better than Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Well, Roger Rees was pretty good as the Sheriff of Rottingham, but the part was a bit different after Mel Brooks got his hands on it.

I'm not sold on Crowe as Robin Hood. I agree with BP and others, he just doesn't look or even feel right. I'm not sure who would work well in the part at this point. We've had Costner and Connery - so Robin Hood with an American and Scottish accent. I think Crowe can at least do a proper English accent (though there are a lot of different accents that constitute a proper English accent). Since Nottingham is not too far from Manchester maybe it is that accent that would be most appropriate.

As great as Ridley Scott has been, he's also had some pretty bad ones. I generally like his films. Alien is genius. Blade Runner is genius, especially in its "final cut" form. Gladiator not so much. Kingdom of Heaven in the Director's Cut edition is quite good. Black Hawk Down. Thelma and Louise. American Gangster. Haven't seen Body of Lies and I've heard that's a plus.

I guess this is closest to Legend, though not so close. I really disliked Legend quite a bit other than Tim Curry's turn as the Lord of Darkness.

Maybe this will work. I've been wrong on these things before.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 am

Yeah anyone but Rickman as the Sheriff is a massive failure

in fact anyone but Rickman playing a baddy in a film is fail
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 am

Give me Cary Elwes any day. Just watched Men in Tights a couple of days ago and still hilarious.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby tecs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

jfiling wrote:Damn. Ridley Scott = awesome, unless he manages to fill a Robin Hood flick with CGI explosions. An Aussie as Robin Hood though... I agree I'd rather have Costner. That guy who played Gaius Baltar in BSG would be a better choice.

Well....Errol Flynn was a native New Zealander and he's still the definitive film version of Robin Hood in my book.

However, I agree it doesn't feel right. Crowe has a bit too much gravitas to play the part.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm

tecs wrote:
jfiling wrote:Damn. Ridley Scott = awesome, unless he manages to fill a Robin Hood flick with CGI explosions. An Aussie as Robin Hood though... I agree I'd rather have Costner. That guy who played Gaius Baltar in BSG would be a better choice.

Well....Errol Flynn was a native New Zealander and he's still the definitive film version of Robin Hood in my book.

However, I agree it doesn't feel right. Crowe has a bit too much gravitas to play the part.

Hmm. I forgot about Errol Flynn. Agreed about Crowe's gravitas, though. My vote is still for James Callis.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby tecs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:36 pm

jfiling wrote:
tecs wrote:

Hmm. I forgot about Errol Flynn. Agreed about Crowe's gravitas, though. My vote is still for James Callis.

Hmmm..slight mistake. Flynn was born in Tasmania.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm

tecs wrote:
jfiling wrote:
tecs wrote:

Hmmm..slight mistake. Flynn was born in Tasmania.

I knew he was Australian

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:I knew he was Australian

Don't tell someone from Tasmania that they're Australian. For that matter don't call someone from Tasmania an Australian around an actual Australian. They are Australian but talking to Ozzies I've found that Tasmania and its people are considered to be separate from Australia despite being a part of it. Maybe the equivalent in the UK is the Welsh?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:

Don't tell someone from Tasmania that they're Australian. For that matter don't call someone from Tasmania an Australian around an actual Australian. They are Australian but talking to Ozzies I've found that Tasmania and its people are considered to be separate from Australia despite being a part of it. Maybe the equivalent in the UK is the Welsh?

actually it would probably be Scotland now that they have their own parliament and hate us English more than the Welsh do

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:48 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:

actually it would probably be Scotland now that they have their own parliament and hate us English more than the Welsh do

They must have have seen Braveheart. That King Edward the Longshanks was a dick.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:

They must have have seen Braveheart. That King Edward the Longshanks was a dick.

his son was a bender as well

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture