Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Contender

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Contender

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 pm

How many are pissed there is no second season to this show? I thought that was a great show last spring.....one of my all-time favs. Thought the hollywood style portrayal of the fights with the music and drama was unbelievable.

I mean, I am not the biggest of boxing fans.....and my wife could care less....but we ended up diehard fans of the show.

I had forgotten about this show until I saw a commerical for a fight Peter Manfredo was in, as well as other fights involving Alfonso Gomez and Sergio Mora.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:02 am

ESPN is possibly going to have a 2nd season of the show.
They are having another live fight special this Sunday. From what I've read they are waiting to see the ratings and they are making a decision on the 2nd season.
The show was great and I'm hoping ESPN continues it.
I will be tuned in Sunday night for the fights

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 am

Here is the fight card:

At The Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI
(ESPN) Peter Manfredo (24-3) vs. Scott Pemberton (29-4-1)
(ESPN) Dorian Beaupierre (12-4-2) vs. Miguel Espino (10-2-1)
NEW Jason Estrada (5-0) vs. Yanqui Diaz (13-3)
Matt Godfrey (10-0) vs. Ernest Mateen (28-11-3)

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:54 am

I thought they were also showing Gomez and Mora as part of this show in the commercials? Or, are they fighting another night for a different event?

Oh, and that would be sweet if ESPN picked it up. Contender and Playmakers are two shows that never should have been cancelled after one season.
consigliere

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm

There is actually a place named The Dunkin' Donuts Center?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby buddycowley » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Agreed. My fiance is not the biggest fan of violence, but she and I tuned in to every episode from the beginning.

I heard that the first network (CBS?) didn't think it was generating enough viewers, but it was always difficult for the critics to find much wrong with the show. I thought it was well-produced and certainly entertaining.

If ESPN picks up a second season, I trust that they can put together something solid.

I thought TILT was a pretty good show on ESPN as well. Wonder if that one is done as well.

Buddy
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:08 pm

Tilt was set-up to only have one season
The ended said it all

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:56 am

buddycowley wrote:Agreed. My fiance is not the biggest fan of violence, but she and I tuned in to every episode from the beginning.

Buddy

Dammit buddy I know you are engaged but it isn't too late. First you couldn't get the Cavs Season Ticket and now this. Pretty soon you'll be skipping national broadcasts of Cleveland teams to attend cultural events.
dmiles

Unread postby SOBO » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:37 pm

I was a big fan of the show as well.

To be honest, I was hoping it did catch on and got a bit of that American Idol or Survivor type of following (yeah I know, shooting for the stars on that one).

Basically I believe America loves boxing. I know that sounds corny, but if not for years of corruption and lackluster superstars; it could be one of the most popular sports in this country. Every time a big fight comes around; there is always a buzz around the watercooler. The public just hasn't had anyone or anything to grab ahold of in the sport.

I was hoping Contender could light that fire a bit. Show was done well. Granted I could care less for the first half an hour of the show; but the live fights were fantastic.

So either way it ends up, I'm going to be selfish and hope a season 2 comes around because I enjoy the sport and I'm one of the public that just hasn't found anything to latch ahold of within it.
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:24 pm

NOTE - DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, THE MANFREDO-PEMBERTON BOUT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT. ESPN2 WILL TELEVISE

Unread postby buddycowley » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Dammit buddy I know you are engaged but it isn't too late. First you couldn't get the Cavs Season Ticket and now this. Pretty soon you'll be skipping national broadcasts of Cleveland teams to attend cultural events.

Come on...

Every time she sees Ray Lewis on television she pipes up with "Hey, the Murderer!"

Plus, every time I say "Ohio State" she says "The Devil!" :D

Plus, you know the teacher can't afford League Pass...AND I owe frickin' taxes this year.

I miss my little waving "hi" emoticon. :(

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby consigliere » Sat May 13, 2006 11:31 pm

Sweet. Just saw a promo on ESPN during the Cavs game that ESPN is airing a new season of The Contender starting in July. Awesome.
consigliere

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:20 pm

Awesome show. Glad to see a second season.

Is it just me, or do you guys hate Sergio Mora too? Manfredo got robbed by the hometown judges. I hope someone knocks that guy's dick in the dirt.

Big fan of Manfredo and Gomez. Anything come of any of the other fighters? I liked that Ishe dude. Loved it when he schooled that Pretty Boy punk. His girlfriend was a dime though.

Can't wait to discuss the second season right here on "The Blurbs"
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:56 am

Season 2 started on Tuesday night and I am pumped for the season.
The biggest mouth on the show has lost already after talking a TON of shit.
Season 2 looks to be better due to more experienced boxers.
No Stallone is also a very good idea, seeing he is a clown.
Tuesday nights on ESPN at 10pm

Unread postby buddycowley » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:37 pm

I actually started a new thread on this yesterday, then got sidetracked and didn't bother putting it up.

The first two shows were excellent. The notable improvements are certainly:

1. No Stallone. Not that I thought he sucked or anything, but it seemed like he was really only there to be a face. I liked Sergio Mora from the last show, so I like seeing him there with Sugar Ray during the fights instead.

2. None of those cheesy Survivor-esque competitions to decide who gets to choose the fights. I get the sense that some of those tasks could have easily caused an injury, so I'm glad to see this one phased out.

3. Quality fighters. Some of the guys have actually held belts in their day. Some guys with some good experience and some guys with some power.

Was nice to see Mike Clark go down early. Though his enthusiasm was unmatched, he seemed like someone who could get real irritating real quick. Plus, it was a good lesson to some of those more seasoned guys to not let their guard down, lest they be beaten by lesser-known talent. And how many solid uppercuts did Bravo land in that 2nd fight? Wowzer. That Cisneros kid got popped a bunch of times.

Great show, and I'm glad to see it back.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:41 pm

The only complaint is that they don't show the whole fight.
I DID think Stallone sucked

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:35 pm

I caught this late when it was re-aired late Wednesday night. I just happened to switch over to ESPN at like 12:50am and the end of the first show was airing. Was pissed I missed the start of the show and forgot about it. I ended up TIVOing the 2nd show which aired right after it. So, Tuesday at 9pm is episode 3?
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:35 am

Tuesdays at 10pm

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:17 am

Brewer against Forbes in the final. I had Forbes pegged for the Final early on....but never thought Brewer would get this far. I thought Wright and Forbes would lock horns in the semis....but K9 won. Speaking of K9, what an annoying POS he is...and what a dirty fighter. It was so irritating in his last two fights how he kept getting away with all that shit with no penalty.

Solid season....one left.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:47 am

K-9 was very very dirty
Reminded me of a whiny little girl with that annoying voice
Glad to see that bum lose
Forbes should win in a landslide.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture