Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Hangover

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Hangover

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

comes out on Friday. i really wanna see it, it's the first comedy i've been excited about this year. Zach Galifianakis is always funny, and Ed Helms is good. and effing Mike Tyson is in it! i wanna see this
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Re: The Hangover

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Looks to be funny. I don't know if it's worth the $40 it would take for a date and I to go see it though. The movies are outrageous. I love going though! The trailers, the popcorn, the darkness, but in this economy, I only go for "must see" films. And those are to each their own. My last theatrical experience was Star Trek and my next one looks to be Johnny Depp portraying Dillinger :pop:
Tymaster

Unread postby mrburns » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm looking forward to this as well. Was a little wary at first, but it's pulling an early 95% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. That's really good, especially for an R-rated comedy.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Tymaster wrote:Looks to be funny. I don't know if it's worth the $40 it would take for a date and I to go see it though. The movies are outrageous.

Dude, you ain't kidding.

Took the wife and my two kids (3 and 5) to see Up this past weekend for a 12:40pm showing. $35.50 for the four of us to see that. For an effing matinee. Then another near $23.50 at the consession stand for four "small" drinks and two med popcorns. $60 freaking dollars for a family of four to see a movie.....plus another $41 for our lunch. $100 for an afternoon out at the movies.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:46 am

Consigliere wrote:
Tymaster wrote:Looks to be funny. I don't know if it's worth the $40 it would take for a date and I to go see it though. The movies are outrageous.

Dude, you ain't kidding.

Took the wife and my two kids (3 and 5) to see Up this past weekend for a 12:40pm showing. $35.50 for the four of us to see that. For an effing matinee. Then another near $23.50 at the consession stand for four "small" drinks and two med popcorns. $60 freaking dollars for a family of four to see a movie.....plus another $41 for our lunch. $100 for an afternoon out at the movies.

Yet, I've heard recent radio reports that the movie industry THRIVED last year. The movies must be recession proof! Apparently, when the economy is down, the movies are A) an alternative to a "real" vacation (like a waterpark or cedar point etc.) and B) a nice relief from everyday stress, and finally C) the movies are always a great "babysitter" on Friday and Saturday nights for parents of teenagers.

But for my money, it better be something special. I've got home theatre dude!
Tymaster

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:48 am

Mr. Burns wrote:I'm looking forward to this as well. Was a little wary at first, but it's pulling an early 95% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. That's really good, especially for an R-rated comedy.

The movie critic on my favorite morning show (wags and elliott on wlvq www.qfm96.com for those that give a hoot) said it was INCREDIBLE. He went on to say that Will Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" was terribly awful and gave it 1 out of 10 starts. LOL.
Tymaster

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 am

Tymaster wrote:
Mr. Burns wrote:I'm looking forward to this as well. Was a little wary at first, but it's pulling an early 95% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. That's really good, especially for an R-rated comedy.

The movie critic on my favorite morning show (wags and elliott on wlvq http://www.qfm96.com for those that give a hoot) said it was INCREDIBLE. He went on to say that Will Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" was terribly awful and gave it 1 out of 10 starts. LOL.

Probably why Ferrell's been EVERYWHERE promoting the shit out of it. Could tell it was going to be terrible when I first heard about it, even before the trailer came out. Even Kenny Powers can't save it. The Hangover on the other hand, looks hilarious. Just glad we get to see the Sackster again and I want to see anything with Zach Galifinakis.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:58 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

The movie critic on my favorite morning show (wags and elliott on wlvq http://www.qfm96.com for those that give a hoot) said it was INCREDIBLE. He went on to say that Will Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" was terribly awful and gave it 1 out of 10 starts. LOL.

Probably why Ferrell's been EVERYWHERE promoting the shit out of it. Could tell it was going to be terrible when I first heard about it, even before the trailer came out. Even Kenny Powers can't save it. The Hangover on the other hand, looks hilarious. Just glad we get to see the Sackster again and I want to see anything with Zach Galifinakis.

Aside from lampooning Dubya PERFECTLY I don't find Ferrell all that amusing. Like most SNL actors who leave the show for Hollywood, they are one trick ponies who quickly get played out and jump the shark.
Tymaster

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:24 am

Tymaster wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

Aside from lampooning Dubya PERFECTLY I don't find Ferrell all that amusing. Like most SNL actors who leave the show for Hollywood, they are one trick ponies who quickly get played out and jump the shark.

Thing with Ferrell is that he started taking more risks and doing parts that don't fit him. Personally I've seen a change with him during appearance and the like in that he tries to do satirical humor more now rather than the over-the-top Frank the Tank type stuff.

Funny thing is, if the real Will Ferrell was still alive, The Hangover would have been a GREAT film for him. To the Ferrell now, he's more focused on cashing in rather than making entertaing shit.

Wish he would come back...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:38 am

Tymaster wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

I agree when he does comedy, it's the same character everytime (and at the beginning those characters were all classic; Ron Burgundy, Frank the Tank, Ricky Bobby), but he isn't a one-trick pony. Just watch Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda. He's got some range.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 am

Just got back from seeing it.

I'm not the one to come home and claim it to be the "greatest movie ever", but it certainly is hilarious.

"Maybe we can call 'em Rapies?"
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:19 am

Oh, also -- and this is a bit of a tangent -- I think Rachael Harris (yes, the bitch... she plays a very good bitch) is really, really hot.

Oooooweeee.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 am

Tymaster wrote:

Hey I was listening to them too. I was trying to hear the Trailer Park Boys song, but had to do actual work so I missed it.

Wags And Elliot are by far the best radio in Columbus.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Tymaster » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

Hey I was listening to them too. I was trying to hear the Trailer Park Boys song, but had to do actual work so I missed it.

Wags And Elliot are by far the best radio in Columbus.

Wags and Elliot are great guys too! Last time I ran into Wags I was in the beverage line at a Rush concert. I said "hi daddy wags," he said "hello, hey where are your seats" of course I am poor and thus was in the lawn. Long story short, Wags was heading home midway thru Rush's show so he could get some shuteye for the morning show, and he handed his laminate and tickets! I wound up in row two!!
I've listened to tthose guys religiously for as long as I can remember.
Tymaster

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:49 pm

I saw the midnight showing and really liked it. Zach Galifianakis was really funny(and they gave him most of the good lines, really.)

As for the financial part of this thread, I'm going to have to blame marriage & kids, and not the movies, on the "outrageous" prices. I bought a popcorn bucket at the beginning of the year for $9 at my theater and refill it for $1 each time I go. Considering it's $7.50 a bag otherwise, it's saved me a load of cash this year. Also it's only $6.50 with my student ID, and I bring my own drink. It costs me about $8.50 total, and I can't be entertained for two hours anywhere at that price.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Consigliere wrote:

Dude, you ain't kidding.

If someone opened up a place like this up there, it'd make a killing: http://www.drafthouse.com/

Of course, since they have a liquor license, kids aren't allowed...which I like, but it's not exactly "family time out". Although I think there is one or two shows a week that kids are allowed at.

Seriously, though...I saw Star Trek w/ another person, we had dinner at the theater, and meal + movie + tip was around $50. And it's good food, not concession stand food.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Heading to see this tonight with a late 10:40 showing. Hoping it's as good as billed.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 am

Laughed the entire time.

Simply incredible.

I don't want to ruin anything for those that haven't seen it but damn, those 3 characters were flawlessly written.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am

Tymaster wrote:

Remaking Land of the Lost is just a HORRIBLE idea. The whole attraction of the original was it's campiness - in other words, it's so bad it's good. You aren't going to capture this in a re-make. No how, no way. Incidentally, the best part of the original was the fact the father sat on his lazy ass all day while the kids were forced to do all the work, including the dangerous stuff. That guy was the original welfare recipient.

As far as Ferrell goes, just like when some moron throws the 252 at A-Rod, the answer is yes.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mrburns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:51 am

CarolinaTribe wrote:As for the financial part of this thread, I'm going to have to blame marriage & kids, and not the movies, on the "outrageous" prices. I bought a popcorn bucket at the beginning of the year for $9 at my theater and refill it for $1 each time I go. Considering it's $7.50 a bag otherwise, it's saved me a load of cash this year. Also it's only $6.50 with my student ID, and I bring my own drink. It costs me about $8.50 total, and I can't be entertained for two hours anywhere at that price.

Agreed. Matinees and all day on Tuesday are $5.75, and the highest price I pay is $8.00 for a Friday or Saturday night. Just like pro sports, it's not bad at all if you only buy the ticket and avoid all the other trappings (food, in this case). Eat a meal beforehand, smuggle in a bag of M&Ms and a bottle of water from 7/11 in your jacket, and avoid going with chicks that will make you feel like a cheap schmuck for trying to avoid spending an additional $25 for something that really costs $4.50 (those are the wrong kind, anyway). Kids would be the fly in the ointment though. When you're nine, getting something to eat at the movies can be more important to you than the movie itself.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:15 am

exiledbuckeye wrote:Took the wife and my two kids (3 and 5) to see Up this past weekend for a 12:40pm showing. $35.50 for the four of us to see that. For an effing matinee. Then another near $23.50 at the consession stand for four "small" drinks and two med popcorns. $60 freaking dollars for a family of four to see a movie.....plus another $41 for our lunch. $100 for an afternoon out at the movies.

How is that diffrernt from watching the Tribe blow most games, except the food is better at the jake and the drive is further?

My new rule is if it isn't at a big ass stadium seating theatre like Tinseltown, my home theatre is ever bit as good now. Period. I just won't.

I'll pay for quality for a flick I want to see on big screen, but no more shoe box shit. Plus, I can no longer stand adolescent girls and boys at the movies. I hate feeling unstable with rage at Manny being Manny.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 pm

noles1 wrote:Laughed the entire time.

Simply incredible.

I don't want to ruin anything for those that haven't seen it but damn, those 3 characters were flawlessly written.

Agreed. Went last night. Never stopped laughing.

No semi-serious ending. All laughs - best comedy in a while.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 pm

the trailers over here make this film look so retarded and the opposite of funny
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:12 pm

IMDB has a top 250 by people's votes. The Hangover is #130. Above movies like Gone With The Wind, Good Will Hunting, Rocky, Crash, and some other really famous movies.

I realize these people aren't critics or anything, but that's impressive nonetheless. It was a hysterical movie, no doubt. Everybody I know who saw it has raved about it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Pretty funny movie. Worth the price of admission. Rob Riggle has a great cameo. Makes me long for college......
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:46 pm

funniest movie i've seen in a long time
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:15 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:the trailers over here make this film look so retarded and the opposite of funny

Same thing over here but everyone I talked to who had seen it said it was hilarious and I concur.

Trailers don't do it justice.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 am

DrPoove wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:the trailers over here make this film look so retarded and the opposite of funny

Same thing over here but everyone I talked to who had seen it said it was hilarious and I concur.

Trailers don't do it justice.

Which is a good thing.

I hate it when the trailers to comedies show ALL of the funny parts. And then when you actually see the movie, you don't laugh at all. Example -- Tropic Thunder.

(But then again, Tropic Thunder never had many funny parts to laugh at anyway. Boom. Roasted.)
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Stu » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:15 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:(But then again, Tropic Thunder never had many funny parts to laugh at anyway. Boom. Roasted.)

I'm glad someone else didnt like that awful movie. The only funny part was the pseudo trailers at the begining. All downhill after that.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Funniest movie I have seen in a long long time. It is a must see by all. I give it a 12 out of 10 :cheers:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:19 am

Saw Hangover last night. I concur with others on here. Worth the price of admission ($9 now in Willoughby, yikes), and I was laughing out loud for a majority of the movie. It carried the laughs from start to finish.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm

wet blanket alert -- The Hangover is overrated.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Lebowski wrote:wet blanket alert -- The Hangover is overrated.

Completely disagree.

Funniest movie I've seen in a very long time.

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am

Little late to the party but I just saw it yesterday. Completely hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at Zach Galifinakis making the baby act like it's jerking off.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 pm

One of the best comedies ive ever seen. This movie is going to bring in even more business for Vegas.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:16 pm

I saw it last night, I gotta say, I was kinda disappointed. Maybe it was hyped too much......and I was stoned when I saw it, for the first time since the OSU/Texas game. It was funny, don't get me twisted, but not one of the funniest movies i've ever seen.

I'd watch it again when it hits DVD.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture