Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Next Book on Tap

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Next Book on Tap

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 pm

After finishing 3 nights in august, it is time to start with the next book on my list, Romo, the Bill Romanoski Story. Started it tonight, and I normally never look ahead to the appendix or anything like that, but he intrigued in his first chapetr so I had to check it out.

Appendix A is called Romo's Recommendations and is thirteen pages detailing the perfect "supplement" plan he was on.

Appendix B is Romo's Injury history. It is 10 pages long. The last 7 injuries are 7 different concussions he suffered in the 2003 season before being put on IR, probably to save his life. I think he would have died on the football field if someone would have let him!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Right now I'm reading "The Godfather Returns", which covers the years in between The Godfather and The Godfather Part II movies.

Problem is, with how busy my life is now, I only really have time to read in bed before I fall asleep. I'm only averaging about 6-8 pages a night before I pass out with the book in hand.

I got several new books for Christmas Im dying to get at too ...

New ones from all my favorites. Koontz, Clancy, King.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:48 am

I really got into a series of books by Nelson DeMille, about a detective named John Corey. The first one is called Plum Island, the second is The Lion's Game (which is the best of the series), the third is Night Fall (which is also excellent), and the fourth is Wild Fire (still very good, but the middle two were clearly the best). I think the reason I like those books so much is because the charactor, John Corey, is one of those charactors where if you weren't sure he was doing the right thing, you'd swear he's the bad guy. He has a knack for pissing people off, and it's extremely entertaining to read as he does it.

If you do pick up those books and begin reading them, I'd definately suggest reading them in order, as you'll find out the end for the other ones if you don't read them in order. I knew how Night Fall would end about a quarter of the way through the book though, as it's not hard to figure out. I didn't know details, but I did know one thing that had to happen. I will say no more on that. And I will also say that Plum Island has one twist I didn't see coming at all (although I probably should have).

Anyway, if anyone has times, and likes the action/thriller books, I enjoyed all of these very much. They're kind of like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, but more believable in that Corey is as human of a charactor as there is, flaws and all, while Pitt seems to be able to get himself out of impossible situations time and time again.

In any case, does anyone have any reccomendations for a good action/thriller book? I'm looking for my next reading project.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:20 am

Swerb - Great choice. Godfather returns is solid. The good part to your situation of not having a lot of time is that book can be picked up and put down very easily and not lose the train of thought since it is in between 3 movies you know like the back of your hand. Actually was going to re-read that after I get through a few books that I just got.

Stewie - I read one last summer called One Shot. I enjoyed it, but it was one of my first reads of an action book. I have read mostly sports books, but am starting to get more into fiction. I will get you some more details when I get home. It is a part of a series, but I don't know if it is first in that series.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:39 pm

The Gift of Valor by Michael Phillips was my book of the year
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture