Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Summer Movie "Must-See" Lists

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Summer Movie "Must-See" Lists

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 am

Interested in hearing other viewpoints here.

For me, the Top 5 that I'm looking forward to seeing...

1. Star Trek (yeah...I guess maybe I am that big of a geek...but this franchise has SUCKED since "First Contact")
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (damn my wife for getting me so hooked on this series).
3. Inglorious Basterds (Tarantino level violence unleashed on Nazis...what's not to love?)
4. Public Enemies (I'm hoping for it to become a bigger classic than Mann's "Heat")
5. Terminator Salvation (High hopes after the crappy third movie...but I'm a little concerned about this one).

Movies that I fear will suck rotten eggs.

1. G.I. Joe - As noted already, the changing from an American force to an International one is the first of many mistakes.
2. Land of the Lost - Will Ferrell is past his expiration date.
3. Night at the Smithsonian - Ben Stiller doing the exact same movie.
4. Bruno - I loved "Borat", but this looks to be the same thing, just more uncomfortable as he ridicules homophobes.
5. Up - I think this might just be the year that Pixar doesn't astound.

Re: Summer Movie "Must-See" Lists

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 am

Mitch wrote:Interested in hearing other viewpoints here.

1. Star Trek (yeah...I guess maybe I am that big of a geek...but this franchise has SUCKED since "First Contact")
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (damn my wife for getting me so hooked on this series).
3. Inglorious Basterds (Tarantino level violence unleashed on Nazis...what's not to love?)
4. Public Enemies (I'm hoping for it to become a bigger classic than Mann's "Heat")
5. Terminator Salvation (High hopes after the crappy third movie...but I'm a little concerned about this one).

1. G.I. Joe - As noted already, the changing from an American force to an International one is the first of many mistakes.
4. Bruno - I loved "Borat", but this looks to be the same thing, just more uncomfortable as he ridicules homophobes.

I'm a bit nervous about Star Trek as it's being made by the guy who made "Cloverfield", I'll still see it, though a bit nervously.

Agree with 4 or the 5 in the "suck rotten eggs" dept., I saw the display for it and facepalmed right then and there. Disagree on Bruno thogh, from the sound of it, it's been making a lot of news, and Cohen is like some modern day Andy Kaufamn
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 am

I too do not have high hopes for Star Trek. I have a feeling it will fall a little too much in love with itself.

Looking forward to Harry Potter. I rarely see a movie in the theater unaccompanied by my daughters.

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 pm

1. Star Trek (yeah...I guess maybe I am that big of a geek...but this franchise has SUCKED since "First Contact").

I think I am the only person in this solar system not interested in this movie. My buddy put it best when we saw the trailer : "Wow, they turned Star Trek into every other movie I have ever seen."

Mitch wrote:Movies that I fear will suck rotten eggs.

Totally agree here.. These 5 will, indeed, suck
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon May 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen :nanner:
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Mitch wrote:1. Star Trek (yeah...I guess maybe I am that big of a geek...but this franchise has SUCKED since "First Contact")

I don't know about you Triple-S, but Abrams doing Trek is one of two reasons I'm going to see it. The other reason being it's a semi-reboot of the franchise. I never followed the franchise, but will now that it's a clean slate.

YES, yes, and Yes.

I never really cared for the franchise, but will still see this anyway.

I grew up a bit later after the toy/cartoon craze, so I don't really care. Could be good. Not on my priority list.

Yeah, yikes. I'd see Smithsonian before Land of the Lost, though.

It'll be funny, as always.

I'm giving Disney/Pixar the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure I'll laugh my ass off like with all the other films. Speaking of Disney, I just watched Bolt last night, and laughed my ass off.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen :nanner:

Yeah, I'll see it. I'm not as excited as kramer or the other bigger fans, LOL. I'm not saying the first one sucked or this one is going to be. I'm just not that excited.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Toxicadam » Mon May 04, 2009 3:03 pm

State of Play is a really solid thriller if you are stuck for something to watch on a weekend.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Star Trek is my #1 as well, and the reviews thus far have been positively glowing. I'd disagree about the franchise sucking since Fist Contact as I like Nemesis quite a bit, though it would have been better had they not taken out 30 minutes of character development. I'd love to see an extended cut of that one. Insurrection wasn't bad, though more like a long TNG episode with enhanced effects.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:04 pm

i have absolutely no interest to see star trek at all. i never watched the t.v. series's or any of the movies and i don't care for the franchise at all. maybe its just the uber-nerdy fanbase stigma, but i just never got it...
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 pm

jordan kramer wrote:i have absolutely no interest to see star trek at all. i never watched the t.v. series's or any of the movies and i don't care for the franchise at all. maybe its just the uber-nerdy fanbase stigma, but i just never got it...

How 'bout just the normal nerdy fanbase? Star Wars? LOTR?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 04, 2009 11:26 pm

jordan kramer wrote:i have absolutely no interest to see star trek at all. i never watched the t.v. series's or any of the movies and i don't care for the franchise at all. maybe its just the uber-nerdy fanbase stigma, but i just never got it...

If you've never seen any of it then how do you know that you don't care for the franchise? Willful ignorance is okay, but I wouldn't pass judgment on the franchise if you haven't seen any of it.

I understand the problems with the fanbase. I've never been all that into all the conventions, playtime dress up games, etc, but I do enjoy the franchise. I find it entertaining, thought provoking at times, and generally interesting. There have been bits that haven't worked, but I'd say most of it has been pretty good. I particularly like the original series, Next Gen, and DS9. I have to say that I enjoy all the Trek films on some levels, though they were definitely not created equal.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

Add the Wolverine movie to the sucks rotten eggs list.

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:Add the Wolverine movie to the sucks rotten eggs list.

Mitch's review posting tonight ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mrburns » Tue May 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Star Trek looks really good, it's boasting a 100% positive rating on RottenTomatoes (24 reviews). As soon as I saw the trailer, I said three things; 1) this looks really cool, 2) this doesn't look like a Star Trek movie, 3) Trekkies are gonna hate it. I'll probably see it early next week when the lines die down.

Harry Potter trailer looks solid, hopefully they don't screw it up this time. They should've kept Alfonso Cuaron after he directed the third movie, which was easily the best adaptation.

The Inglorious Bastards trailer is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeXuSGzJzM. Looking for good things from Tarantino after the disappointing Death Proof.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue May 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Tarantino flick and Public Enemies will DEFINITELY be watched by me
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:

How 'bout just the normal nerdy fanbase? Star Wars? LOTR?

Not fan of either Star Wars or Star trek, but not all the fans are nerds... What about all the sports nerds that take baseball gloves to games? Or go to coventions to wait in line to PAY for a signature. If you take a glove to a game and you're not 4-13 years in age, you're a nerd.

They dress up like their hereos and they aren't "nerds".

Also if someone does decide to be nerdy about something, nothing wrong with it at all. People like what they like.

Movies i'm looking forward to seeing.

Public Enemies and Inglorious Bastards... Thats it right now, maybe add District-9.

Shutter Island is the movie I want to see most, but I can't remember it's release date.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Shutter Island is the movie I want to see most, but I can't remember it's release date.

October 2.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Mitch wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

October 2.

Thanks. :thumb up:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Mitch, have you heard/what do you think of District 9?

http://theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13388

Reasons why I'm interested in this film is because of A) the plot with the serious undertone and B) its under-the-radar type of feel.

I sure hope it turns out good.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby waborat » Tue May 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Mitch wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

October 2.

#1 on my list as well, but I guess that would be an autumn flick, huh?

Ingloreous Basterds I'll be at for sure
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 11:21 am

Mr. Burns wrote:Harry Potter trailer looks solid, hopefully they don't screw it up this time. They should've kept Alfonso Cuaron after he directed the third movie, which was easily the best adaptation.

Bingo. I was really hoping they were going to sign Cuaron to do HP7 A&B, but they stuck with the guy that did the last one, which was the most blah HP since the 1st one.

But since that was his first movie, maybe he'll learn from his mistakes.

Unread postby KingRex1583 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Hiko wrote:
Mr. Burns wrote:Harry Potter trailer looks solid, hopefully they don't screw it up this time. They should've kept Alfonso Cuaron after he directed the third movie, which was easily the best adaptation.

Bingo. I was really hoping they were going to sign Cuaron to do HP7 A&B, but they stuck with the guy that did the last one, which was the most blah HP since the 1st one.

Cuaron would have been ideal for sure. However, I'm giving Yates the benefit of the doubt as I believe Order of the Phoenix was one of the weaker books in the series (I get it, Umbridge was a royal bitch. How much does that need to be forced down my throat?), so i wasn't too surprised by it not translating to a great movie.
KingRex1583

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Mitch, have you heard/what do you think of District 9?

http://theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13388

Reasons why I'm interested in this film is because of A) the plot with the serious undertone and B) its under-the-radar type of feel.

I sure hope it turns out good.

I need to hear some more.

Right now, it could just be a second rate "Cloverfield" done as a warm up exercise for director Neill Blomkamp, who is supposed to also direct "Halo" for Peter Jackson.

I'll always look towards a PJ film with high expectations, but after "King Kong", I no longer believe the man can Do No Wrong.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Mitch wrote:.

I'll always look towards a PJ film with high expectations, but after "King Kong", I no longer believe the man can Do No Wrong.

Thank you! You know how many people told me I was crazy for thinking that movie was a shitbomb? Apprently a CGI Gorrila make a great film. I thought it was awful, Jack Black and Colin Hanks sucked.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 am

I believe Up is going to be good.

Seeing the trailer before Star Trek, I laughed my ass off. The part with the dog collar (Squirrel!) and the part with the giant bird. Hilarious.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby docstank » Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Angels and Demons...any early word on this one Mitch?
docstank

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 8:31 pm

docstank wrote:Angels and Demons...any early word on this one Mitch?

Early buzz is that it's better than The Da Vinci Code...which I actually liked.

Unread postby mrburns » Wed May 13, 2009 12:43 am

Hiko wrote:

I think I read somewhere that David Yates, the director of HP5 and the remaining three films, primarily did work on British soaps prior to Potter. So naturally, someone felt he was qualified for big budget fantasy/action with a smattering of teen brooding. Unreal. It's disappointing to think that these movies could have been classics if they'd kept the right guy at the helm.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby KingRex1583 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 am

Do you really think Public Enemies can be a better movie than Heat? I'm definitely looking forward to it, but Heat is such a classic. Depp and Bale is good, but they're no Pacino and De Niro (Before they started making crappy movies). It's going to be tough to live up to.
KingRex1583

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

I saw Angels & Demons last night.

I liked it.

I'll have to watch The Da Vinci Code again to really figure out which one I liked more.
Bill the Butcher

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture