Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Battlestar Galactica

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Battlestar Galactica

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 am

I'm getting hyped up for the return of the new Battlestar Galactica this Sunday off of its mid-season hiatus. I've been hooked on this show since it debuted, although I initially thought about avoiding it because of the original, hokey Galactica.

There are some great TV shows on right now and Galactica is one of the best. It works because it's not a heavy sci-fi show but instead is a drama set in space (and elsewhere). The last contingent of humanity beings fleeing from their own creation, the Cylons - machines they initially built to wage their wars for them. Of course, there are now human-looking Cylons and it goes much deeper than that.

The real shame is so many people haven't seen this show because of the name and because it's labeled as sci-fi. There's not a show on TV right now that I'd say is better than it. There are some equals out there, but this TV show is amazing and often surprising.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Not NEARLY as cool as the original show.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 pm

mswerb wrote:Not NEARLY as cool as the original show.

I never liked the original much. It was far too hokey for my tastes - and I'm a guy who has watched a lot of Star Trek in my lifetime, including all the episodes of the orginal and Next Gen.

One of the things I like about the new show is that they differentiate themselves from the original in such a way that the two franchises are entirely different. While the original premise of the show is the same, they've made it far more intense and dramatic. It didn't feel very weighty when the Cylons wiped out billions in the original, but it was unnerving in the new iteration. These Cylons actually have feelings and RATIONALIZED the extermination because of how humans have acted. Add to that the fact that humans are their parents and that the Cylons are religious and monotheistic, believing that God wants them to reign supreme and show the people that are left the light.

It's an amazing show.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture