Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Oldboy ... great reccomendation jfiling

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Oldboy ... great reccomendation jfiling

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Wow! What a flick.

jfiling reccomended this movie in a reply to my Top 150 Movies thread. I went to IMDB, saw it was IMDB Top 250 All-Time based on user rankings.

At the same time, many, if not most of the reader reviews were either negative, or questioning why this movie had such a lofty ranking. It's clearly a love/hate film. Most of the people that reviewed it on IMDB either thought it was a work of genius or a piece of crap.

I personally thought it was a great movie.

Plot line ...

A guy is captured and imprisoned, and has no idea why. He is released after 15 years, is given new clothes, and a cell phone, but soon finds out his captors still have plans for him despite his release.

While seeking revenge, trying to find out who imprisoned him and why ... he meets a young girl he quickly falls in love with who helps him try and uncover the truth. Shit gets pretty crazy, and saying any more would give key parts of the movie away.

Well worth the rental. All in subtitles.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Oldboy ... great reccomendation jfiling

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Wow! What a flick.

jfiling reccomended this movie in a reply to my Top 150 Movies thread. I went to IMDB, saw it was IMDB Top 250 All-Time based on user rankings.

At the same time, many, if not most of the reader reviews were either negative, or questioning why this movie had such a lofty ranking. It's clearly a love/hate film. Most of the people that reviewed it on IMDB either thought it was a work of genius or a piece of crap.

I personally thought it was a great movie.

Plot line ...

A guy is captured and imprisoned, and has no idea why. He is released after 15 years, is given new clothes, and a cell phone, but soon finds out his captors still have plans for him despite his release.

While seeking revenge, trying to find out who imprisoned him and why ... he meets a young girl he quickly falls in love with who helps him try and uncover the truth. Shit gets pretty crazy, and saying any more would give key parts of the movie away.

Well worth the rental. All in subtitles.

saw it on film4 about 4 months ago

tell me something is another great korean flick
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Glad you liked it. I really have to watch that again.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:21 pm

My wife (foolishly) refuses to watch movies with subtitles. As a result, its been a while (The Downfall the last) since I watched a foreign film with all subtitles.

In a way, I like it better. You never miss a word, and every nuance and tiny aspect of the film really sinks in.

I went back and reread some of the reviews on IMDB after watching the movie this afternoon, a scheduled day off to deal with either the elation or misery of yesterdays Buckeyes game. I was surprised to see how many people gave this a negative review, despite the films VERY high 8.3 overall user rating.

I thought it was a very good film. Some plot holes, a couple things I would have liked to have seen done different. But the story was great, as were the plot twists. The violence was brutal, the acting was very good ... especially the guy that played Oh Dae-Su.

Again, well worth the rental. Just goes to show how many excellent films there are out there that all of us haven't seen. Something to think about the next time you're pondering renting the latest shitty Ben Stiller comedy or another new release that you just know has very little potential to be "great".
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:36 pm

when watching foreign films ur more involved in the plot and have more time for it, mainly cos of having to follow it through subtitles

it adds more atmosphere and drama i reckon
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture