Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Rome

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Rome

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:22 am

Just notice that in addition to Jack being back this Sunday from 8 - 10, I get to change channels immediately to the start of the second (and final) season of Rome on HBO.

This series really picked up last year as the year went on. Not quite at Sopranos, Deadwood, or Dexter level, but not far off, which makes it better than most shows on regular TV...and lots more gross gore and sexual depravity than you see anywhere else.

One thing that's become clear due to this, however...

The Sopranos will not start their final 8 episodes until after Rome concludes, which will be the first week of April, assuming it runs the usual 12 episodes.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:15 am

I can't wait.

I thought, after a slow start, Rome was excellent down the stretch. The whole betrayal, then slaying of Ceasar was done well. Attia and Marc Antony are both great characters. And the scene where Titus went ape shit in the mini Gladiator pit was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen on television.

Been chompin at the bit for this coming Sunday ever since The Wire ended. 12 weeks of Rome, followed by the final nine episodes (thought it was eight, saw a commercial saying nine last night) of The Sopranos.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby docstank » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:20 pm

I absolutely thought this show was awesome, cant wait for season 2. Although after taking down Julius Ceasar it is tough to top that, a bit of a concern for me.
stank
docstank

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm

I am a huge fan of Rome, historically, and the show. Since I am fairly knowlegable on this particularly period of Rome, I can tell you that the best is yet to come. One of the reasons I studied Latin was so that I could read the first hand accounts of this very period in history.

Historically, this is the transitional period from the Late Republic to the Early Empire. If you are not knowledgable about the history, you should learn some, it makes the story easier to follow. Do not be fooled into thinking this is a historical documentary, but they do get the major facts right. The battle of Actium should be coming this season and that should be sweet.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:31 pm

What really surprised me was how they handled Mark Antony's speech at Ceasar's funeral. Everyone knows (mostly from Shakespeare) that's where Antony whipped up the masses with his impassioned eulogy, causing Brutus, Cassius, and their buddies to flee.

I love the way they did it...showing the set up with Antony convincing Brutus that they both should speak, and then the aftermath with a smirking Antony all but going "neener-neener" to a Brutus who knew he was seven way screwed...but they didn't show one bit of the actual speech.

Vorenus and Pullo going berserker with Erastes Fulmen's group...damn, that was quite the scene. Not quite to the level of the one last year in the arena, but still enough to let you know that you don't mess around with those two.

Just a hunch, but I don't think Vorenus' children are dead.

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm

Sadly, I cancelled HBO about 6 months ago and I just cannot bring myself to pay for it again in order to watch one show. I will probably have to just wait until it is out on DVD next fall. It isn't so much the ten bucks, it is just the fact that it pisses me off everytime I click through all 15 HBO channels and find nothing most of the time.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Finally got a chance to go back and watch the 1st episode on DVR, very well done.

Antony and Pullo are both such excellent characters. Antony is such a smug prick, and it's pulled off perfectly by James Purefoy, the guy that plays him.

Pullo and Vorenus's impaling of Fulmen's group was epic. The scene where Ceasar's wife hocked B2B loogies in Servilia's face was great.

Also, the kid that plays Octavian is a great actor. The inevitable battle between he and Antony should be great, with Attia right in the middle of it.

Can't wait to watch the second episode. This is really a great show. Even more so for me, someone who has no idea how all this shite really went down. I have no idea whats coming still.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 am

Also, the kid that plays Octavian is a great actor.

Did you ever see "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the Earth"?

Great flick about early 19th century naval warfare, and the interplay between the boisterous Russell Crowe as the captain and Paul Bettany as the reserved doctor was incredible.

Max Pirkis, who plays Octavian, was in it as a 13 year old Lietenant who loses his arm in an early battle, and then still comes back to befriend the doctor and kick some serious ass in the final battle.

Well worth the rent if you've never seen it before.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Great second episode as well. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Marc Antony self destruct. It's great television.

The battle between Octavian and Antony is on.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Also, the kid that plays Octavian is a great actor.

Did you ever see "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the Earth"?

Great flick about early 19th century naval warfare, and the interplay between the boisterous Russell Crowe as the captain and Paul Bettany as the reserved doctor was incredible.

Max Pirkis, who plays Octavian, was in it as a 13 year old Lietenant who loses his arm in an early battle, and then still comes back to befriend the doctor and kick some serious ass in the final battle.

Well worth the rent if you've never seen it before.

Mitch, I saw it as soon as it came out. Really liked it, but need to rewatch it. I bought the DVD on sale for like 8.99 at Hollywood Video a couple months back, it's on my radar to watch again soon.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:08 pm

I love this show.

Previews for next weeks episode look excellent.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 pm

Just downloaded the first two episodes of the new season, and hope to catch up. I've been chomping at the bit to watch this and the episodes finally popped up online.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 pm

Just got caught up and watched the two most recent episodes. I have to say, I'm disappointed that they changed actors on the Octavian character. I hate when shows do that.

Octavian went from looking like a 12 year old boy, to a diffent person/actor, looking like hes in his early 20's ... while none of the other characters on the show showed any signs of aging.

Regardless, the show has been excellent. Again, not having any knowledge of how this all really went down really adds to the drama for me.

The coming episodes look excellent, as Octavian has sold his soul to the devil, reuniting with Antony (love that character) and his legions in preparation of the inevitable return of Brutus and Cassius, setting up what looks like a great episode next week if the previews are any indication.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:28 pm

What an episode.

Another classic Pullo fight scene. Antony off to Egypt and Cleopatra. And Vorenus, who really is a great character ... who's run the gamut of mental stages.

Sign of a good show is where they get you to buy into and care about the characters. Rome has done this well this year. This has really been an incredible season.

HBO is the shit.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Sad to see this show come to an end. First half of the first season, I was leery ... but fell in love with this show.

The Antony, Vorenus, Pullo characters were all excellent. Great violence, gratuitous sex, drug abuse, the kanivery of politics ... this show had all the elements.

Six Feet Under, gone. Deadwood, done. Rome, done. Sopranos .... about to be done.

The Wire, maybe my favorite of the lot, is still alive. So is Big Love, which has grown on me.

But HBO needs to develop some new Sunday night dramas. And they've got big shoes to fill.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RC » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Swerb wrote:Six Feet Under, gone. Deadwood, done. Rome, done. Sopranos .... about to be done.

RC, now done with HBO (after my get HBO for 18 months free promo from TW is over that is).
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture