Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Rocker

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Rocker

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 am

Picked this up over the weekend, thinking it'd be funny because of having Dwight K. Schrute (Rainn Wilson). Well, it was not so much funny, as much it was a knockoff of School of Rock.. Was pretty disapointed overall. It interesting to notice that it was set in Cleveland, and there was a lot of exterior shots of the city, but where Major League did an amazing job showing you what the feel of the city on the banks of Lake Erie is like, This one seemed to fall way short. It was sort of funny to see Dwight Schrute somehow able to look out his window an un-obstructed view of the Rock Hall and CBS in an un-named suburb. Also, the final scene of the movie takes places at "The Q",but it's funny, the characters call it "The Q ARENA", which I've never heard one person from around here add arena to it. Stupid stuff like that takes me out of the movie sometime, like in Tommy Boy in trying to get a flight from Sandusky to Cuyahoga falls. :lmfao:

Overall, Don't boy or rent this, wait until it hits re-run status on TBS in like a year.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Triple-S wrote:Stupid stuff like that takes me out of the movie sometime, like in Tommy Boy in trying to get a flight from Sandusky to Cuyahoga falls. :lmfao:

Damn I hate that. It's that kind of crap that gets people thinking that we live in "flyover country" where nobody has to be bothered to know anything about Ohio. Then again, I was pissed that they used the Brewers' stadium in Major League. It's like we don't even matter enough to get the details right.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 pm

jfiling wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Stupid stuff like that takes me out of the movie sometime, like in Tommy Boy in trying to get a flight from Sandusky to Cuyahoga falls. :lmfao:

Damn I hate that. It's that kind of crap that gets people thinking that we live in "flyover country" where nobody has to be bothered to know anything about Ohio. Then again, I was pissed that they used the Brewers' stadium in Major League. It's like we don't even matter enough to get the details right.


My guess is scheduling conflicts. You had the Browns and Tribe both playing their pretty much year around from 1987-1988 thanks to the Browns actually being good and the Tribe, well at least having a place to call home. I bet Art (F Him) didn't want the field getting mucked up more than it already was.

The amount of errors in this new movie made me laugh though, Dwight Schrute walking around "the Q Arena" bragging about how he saw all these 80's bands there and where he sat...only one problem. There was NO Quicken Loans Arena until 1994. :). Also, he mispronounces Akron, I think something along the lines of Ahhh-Kronnne.

The least they could have done, would have been to do a little more background research on our fair city and what people actually act and look like from here.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby waborat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Triple-S wrote:The least they could have done, would have been to do a little more background research on our fair city and what people actually act and look like from here.


"I Concur"
Image
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 pm

I just saw the Rocker.

I went in with low expecations, but thought it was pretty funny. Don't take it serious, and its not bad.

I don't know why people are not happy with this movie. Yes, its innaccurate, but its ultimately showing the city in a very good light.

We should be happy we have the Cleveland Rocks thing going. This movie would not be set in columbus, or cincy, or pissburg.
User avatar
Commodore Perry
Old School American
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am

Agreed. Caught this last night on Cinemax and didn't mind it too much.

Under the right expectations it wasn't too shabby compared to the other crap.

Plus Denny "Blazin" Hazen was in it...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
User avatar
noles1
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Clarion, PA
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

waborat wrote:
Triple-S wrote:The least they could have done, would have been to do a little more background research on our fair city and what people actually act and look like from here.


"I Concur"
Image



I wish Swerb would slip this into the site banner, as this gentleman has been the face of the Browns for a while...
User avatar
Cease
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The View
Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby Stu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Triple-S wrote:My guess is scheduling conflicts. You had the Browns and Tribe both playing their pretty much year around from 1987-1988 thanks to the Browns actually being good and the Tribe, well at least having a place to call home. I bet Art (F Him) didn't want the field getting mucked up more than it already was.


Nope, had nothing to do with that at all. It was simply a matter of money. Because of the Cleveland Stage Union, it was much cheaper to film in Milwaukee than in Cleveland.
Stu
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Re: The Rocker

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Stu wrote:
Triple-S wrote:My guess is scheduling conflicts. You had the Browns and Tribe both playing their pretty much year around from 1987-1988 thanks to the Browns actually being good and the Tribe, well at least having a place to call home. I bet Art (F Him) didn't want the field getting mucked up more than it already was.


Nope, had nothing to do with that at all. It was simply a matter of money. Because of the Cleveland Stage Union, it was much cheaper to film in Milwaukee than in Cleveland.


It's not like Art didn't want to "muck up" the field as he had many concerts take place at the Stadium. He wanted to turn a profit.
World Series of Rock (6 years)
Genesis
The Who
Pink Floyd
U2
Springsteen
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest