Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Rocky Balboa

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Rocky Balboa

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:06 am

Just saw it. What a great way to give us a good ending to the franchise, and wash the taste out of our mouths from Rocky V. The fight portion of the movie was like actually watching an HBO PPV, but the story and characters really made it work. If you liked the first, you should definitely see this movie (and even a few characters from the first movie make appearances in this).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Rocky Balboa

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:04 am

Just saw it. What a great way to give us a good ending to the franchise, and wash the taste out of our mouths from Rocky V. The fight portion of the movie was like actually watching an HBO PPV, but the story and characters really made it work. If you liked the first, you should definitely see this movie (and even a few characters from the first movie make appearances in this).

i've never watched a rocky film and i never would watch any film directed by sly stallone
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 am

Dannycrisp wrote:i've never watched a rocky film and i never would watch any film directed by sly stallone

Good for you.

If you don't care, then why you posting in this thread?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:47 am

jfiling wrote:The fight portion of the movie was like actually watching an HBO PPV, but the story and characters really made it work.

I haven't seen it yet, will probably wait for DVD.....but, Stallone was on Rome a few weeks back and mentioned the fight scenese are real contact. Not fake. He told the other guy (his name escapes me) not to hold back.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am

Antonio "The Magic Man" Tarver
Maybe the movie will help his boxing career.

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 am

Tarver already has had a pretty solid career. He's been good for a decade and was champ for a while. He knocked out Roy Jones Jr. a couple of times, once abotu a year and a half ago here in Tampa. He lives in this area and is a pretty nice guy from what I understand (and have heard on local sports radio when he's been interviewed and taken fan calls) - the complete antithesis of his character in Rocky Balboa.

The movie was fantastic. I like most of the Rocky movies quite well, though I think this was the first with real contact. I loved the characters and the emotions of this film. It's easy to understand Rocky in this film and issues of growing old and letting things go. I'm so glad they made it - a perfect bookend to the original.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 am

As far as Tarver goes, he was OWNED in his last fight with Hopkins and hasn't been around for awhile. I'm sure making the movie was why buy he hasn't even been mentioned as far as big fights coming up.
From what I'm read he did a solid job in the film.
Now he needs to get back in the ring because he is a pretty solid fighter and fun to watch.

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:49 pm

FightDr wrote:As far as Tarver goes, he was OWNED in his last fight with Hopkins and hasn't been around for awhile. I'm sure making the movie was why buy he hasn't even been mentioned as far as big fights coming up.
From what I'm read he did a solid job in the film.
Now he needs to get back in the ring because he is a pretty solid fighter and fun to watch.

I was surprised by how well he did in the movie. One of the several mistakes made for Rocky V was getting Tommy Morrison to play Rocky's protege/rival. Morrison was bad as Tommy Gunn, so I did have concerns about Tarver being able to act. My concerns were unwarranted.

He did lose pretty badly to Hopkins last year and I think he's been training much harder since then. That was in June, so shooting the film may have played a part in him not taking the fight as seriously as he should have. Funny that he fought a real fighter from Philly before fighting Rocky on film.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 pm

Finally got around to seeing this tonight.

I agree, great way to end the series and remove the nasty taste in my mouth left from the atrocious Rocky V.

I gotta admit ... even with the solid review Mitch gave it, I was a little leery, especially as to how the fight scene would play out, the film trying to sell a near 60 year old (in real life) Stallone against Tarver, a rea boxer, not far removed from his prime.

But they did.

You know what helped IMO? Lampley, Merchant, Kellerman, Buffer, the Sportscenter clips leading in ... it helped sell it. It really was like watching a HBO PPV. I almost felt guilty, actually getting fired up to watch a 60 yr old actor in a fake fight.

Alot of great nostalgia from the first four films as well in this one. By no means a great film, it had its flaws, but they wrapped up the series I grew up loving as a kid pretty well.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture