Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Return To Paradise

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Return To Paradise

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:34 am

First off, big ups to Stank for recommending this film. I just got done watching it, and this was a helluva movie. How did this film slip past my radar? I had heard nothing about it until reading Stanks endorsement in this forum.

This is one of those movies that really makes you dig deep and think.

The premise?

Three buddies spend a carefree summer partying in Malaysia. Hangin out, drinking on the beach, getting laid, and smokin a little hash. Two of the buddies head back to NY after the summer. One of the friends (Joaquin Phoenix), the true hippie of the group, decides to stay in Malaysia.

Fast forward a couple years. The hippie friends lawyer (Anne Heche, solif performance) tracks down the two NY friends (one played brilliantly by Vince Vaughn), both of whom have moved on with their lives. The hippie buddy got busted with the hash that the three friends left behind with him, and has been in jail for the last two years. It was just over 100 grams, and Malaysian law views that as trafficking, a crime punishable by death (hanging). He has seven days to live.

To save their old friends life, the pair has to return to Malaysia and plead guilty to their share of the responsibility. If both return, they each must serve three years. If just one does, they muct serve six years.

The moral dilemma this poses the two friends makes for a compelling first hour of the film. The last hour gets even more interesting. Saying any more would ruin the film.

If you haven't seen it, its well worth the rental. Frost a couple mugs, pick up a six pack of your favorite beer, and cue up the surround sound. A very good flick.

Very, very impressive performances from Vince Vaughn, Joauquin Phoenix, and Anne Heche.

Thanks again for the recomendation Stank ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Paradise

Unread postby docstank » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 am

Swerb, don't feel bad about this flick flying under your radar, somehow it slips past a lot of people. That is why I have named it my most under rated movie of all time. Many people have not even heard of it. I saw requiem of a dream last night, the first movie on your list I had not seen, very solid. I think I saw Sara Goldfarb on the subway when I visited some friends in New York two summers ago. WOW, it is so wild to see someone's conversion from lonely to completely insane, kind of scary..
I am definitely in on the docs perspective just matter of legistics, do I have to sign in somehow..etc. shoot me an email. I am computer semi-illiterate, but a quick learner if both of those are possible.
Stank
By the way interested to see the new updated top 150 on its release.
docstank

Unread postby docstank » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:06 pm

How bad would that six years suck?
stank
Could you do it?
Of course everyone would have to say they could but I have to guess there are people out there that would not go back. How many do you know? Deep shit if you start thinkin' about.
By the way all of the above questions are Rhetorical.;)
docstank

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Swerb, don't feel bad about this flick flying under your radar, somehow it slips past a lot of people. That is why I have named it my most under rated movie of all time.

I would agree with that. The whole hidden gem thing, Mitch did a good column on it a while back, heres the link ...

http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=203

I may follow suit with a hidden gem column of my own.

I saw requiem of a dream last night, the first movie on your list I had not seen, very solid. I think I saw Sara Goldfarb on the subway when I visited some friends in New York two summers ago. WOW, it is so wild to see someone's conversion from lonely to completely insane, kind of scary..

Requiem is a dark, dark film. Really tough to take in spots. And Ellen Burstyn was amazing as Sara Goldfarb. And Jen Connelly ... whats not to like there.

I remember, it was one night a couple years ago, bored, at Hollywood Video, looking for a couple away from the norm films I had never seen before. Rented "Requiem For A Dream" and "Mulholland Drive", watched em back to back. Two truly great films. Not for everyone ... but I loved em both.

I remember just sitting there on the couch after 5 hours of watching those two flicks ... just being blown away.

I am definitely in on the docs perspective just matter of legistics, do I have to sign in somehow..etc. shoot me an email. I am computer semi-illiterate, but a quick learner if both of those are possible.

Stank, I'll get with you on email on that. I love the idea. "The Doc Is In Session". Maybe we can get some questions in here on staph infections or maybe specific questions on injuries to certain players, and have you answer em for a front page column.

How bad would that six years suck? Could you do it?

Dude, I was thinking about it through the whole film, and even layin in bed afterwards. Thats the beauty of that movie, it makes you think about that. Makes you search your soul.

In the end, there would be so many different dynamics involved in a decision like that, but it wouldn't be an easy one. Especially considering that the Malaysian government wouldn't guarantee anything on paper.

Really, the way I read it, those guys had to feel there was a better chance they die in there than them actually getting out after 3/6 years. If you know you can do your time and walk away, its a different decision.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 pm

I saw this quite some time ago, and it is a very good flick. The worst part about it is, is that they got busted by not returning a bike they rented. Go figure.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture