Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Gran Torino

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Gran Torino

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:03 am

Keep seeing the previews for this movie.It looks very good.Looks like Vintage Clint Eastwood. Anyone else looking forward to seeing this?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Gran Torino

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:59 am

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me!!!

Eastwood looks to be just a complete badass here.

Plus, I hope to see him beat the shit out of an entire Asian gang. I'm Asian (Filipino) and would love to see anyone destroy any Asian gang, whether it be real or fictional.

Jan. 9th is expanded release, correct?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:48 am

Im really looking forward to seeing this movie also. I might wait until it comes out on DVD because the movie theatres are so expensive.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:00 pm

Matinee, brotha!!!
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby BDFD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 pm

So Clint Eastwood's swan song is a movie where he teaches a group of kids a lesson for picking on him and they are glossing it as 'vintage Eastwood'? A Dirty Harry-type cop or something is vintage Eastwood, not this guy in this scenario.

I only saw the commercials but this is the impression it leaves me with. It makes me think of Righteous Kill with DeNeiro and Pachino, in terms of how they were portraying the movie in order to get people to come and see it. Clearly I'm missing something as usual.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Can't wait to see this one.

BTW (for those of you with 4-8 year-olds), was the "Get off my lawn" reset from Monster House intentional?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:36 pm

It'd be way better if Clint were wearing a rubber suit and it had lots and lots of fake explosions, and a bad guy who wore makeup.

Then it'd also be so deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Chortle.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:31 pm

JB wrote:It'd be way better if Clint were wearing a rubber suit and it had lots and lots of fake explosions, and a bad guy who wore makeup.

Then it'd also be so deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Chortle.

Laugh out loud.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Just saw it.

Eastwood is becoming a top notch director and looks like he's getting really good at it. Overall a good movie, not as action packed as they tried to portray it, but it is Eastwood being Clint Eastwood. Guy is a living legend.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I saw it.......I thought it was pretty blah. The best actor in the whole movie is the car. Clint just never sold me on the role. The dialogue was sub par, they compensated with pointless racial slurs. I get it he hates Asians. I had high hopes because I loved Million Dollar Baby, but I felt it was a big letdown. I'd give it 2-1/2 stars out of 5 IMHO.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm

I don't like Clint Eastwood
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Just seen this tonight. Support cast, was pretty weak, and leaves Clint to carry the whole load. Clint must of put some real live gang bangers on the payroll for this one. That said, I really enjoyed it. The story carries it for me, and I would suppose having a father, who was hard nosed like Walt, tugged at my heart a bit. It is a far cry from Rawhide and Dirty Harry, but Clint can still get away with the grunts, and the mean ass, i'll fuck you up face.

I got my moneys worth, but not much more.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Doc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 am

Wow. Just wow. What an incredible movie.

Clint Eastwood is just a bad bad dude. There was so much blatant racism in that movie from Clint, but it was incredible. It was so over the top that it was funny. But, more than that, I thought it was an incredible story. Best movie that I've seen since Gone Baby Gone, and probably better than that.

I tried watching the first 5-10 minutes on Tuesday night and just wasn't in the mood. I got home last night and re-started it. Glad I did. Just a strong showing by Clint Eastwood overall. I'm actually wanting to go home and re-watch it again tonight.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:10 am

Very good flick. Classic Clint, he had some classic lines in this one. Excellent story. Perfect ending. Get a couple better actors for the neighbor kids .. and this is nominated for best pic last year.

Four outta the park home runs from Clint as a director in the last five years. Mystic River, Letters From Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino.

Not many people on this planet that have contributed more to American cinema.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Swerb wrote:Very good flick. Classic Clint, he had some classic lines in this one. Excellent story. Perfect ending. Get a couple better actors for the neighbor kids .. and this is nominated for best pic last year.

Four outta the park home runs from Clint as a director in the last five years. Mystic River, Letters From Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino.

Not many people on this planet that have contributed more to American cinema.

Couldn't agree more Swerbo...

Really enjoyed this one and would watch it again...Pretty much hit all the emotions in this one a lot like M$B did...

After The Bank Job & Sarah Marshall, I'd put this as my next favorite flick from '08...

Hard to believe ol' Clint's gonna be 80 soon? The guy is still top-notch
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Hot damn, it sure took me awhile to finally see this.

I really enjoyed it. The racial slurs got old (and, yes, they were funny) but that aside, I thought the movie was great.

What are you spooks up to?...
Bill the Butcher

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture