Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Utensils Down! Hands Up!

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Utensils Down! Hands Up!

Unread postby diminishingskills » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Any other Top Chef fans out there?

I am addicted to this show, as in Chipotle addicted -- I simply have to have my fix on Wednesday nights. Don't know if it is because of the food, the competition, the reality-show drama (and I normally can't stand reality shows), Gail Simmons' huge rack, the potential appearance of Anthony Bourdain as a guest judge, or the lovely Padma Laskhmi as host. (Actually, I do know. It's Padma. I'd watch the show if it were just her reading from a phone book for 60 minutes.)

I know of at least a couple of board regulars who need their fix too (I won't "out" them here though) ... wondering if anybody else likes the show.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Re: Utensils Down! Hands Up!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Have not missed an episode since I caught a marathon of the first season on a cross country flight.

The only reality TV show I have ever watched.

Have to catch up on the last few episodes of this season this weekend, but they are on the DVR.

Not sure why I like it so much, but I do.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 pm

It's a real show.
About real food.
Prepared by real chefs.
It's on in 30 minutes from now.
It's the anti Hell's Kitchen.
I've watched religiously for the last 3 seasons.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 am

watched this from the very beginning

-like that they brought Padma in to host after season 1
-the "best" chef does not always win
-Quickfire challenges
-any episode with Bourdain is must see TV
-Restaurant Wars!
-Casey Thompson from Season 3...
HOT!
-a Foo Fighters Thanksgiving! C'mon, Dave Grohl waxing food poetic like he's Ted Allen?!?Awesome!
-all the New Yawk chefs that come in w/ their New Yawk attitude, only to get sent packing early
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't watch this show, but I decided to click on the thread and read it. I don't know who Gail Simmons or Padma Lakshmi are, but after DS praised them, I decided to look them up.

Beautiful.

Gail Simmons -- nice breasts (I'd say "rack" but I'm too classy :dingle: ) although she sorta looks like an alien sometimes. Regardless, she's basically MILF material. And I <3 MILFs.

Padma Lakshmi -- Just gorgeous. Indeed, I too would watch her read a phone book for 60 minutes. Ooooooweee.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:53 pm

OK, I will admit to watching every episode to-date of TC (was there a more entertaining contestant than last year's Andrew?); BUT you're not going to get me to admit my inexplicable (outside of Heidi Klum) addiction to Project Runway.

What? Dammit! You're a witch, DS. :hide:
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:OK, I will admit to watching every episode to-date of TC (was there a more entertaining contestant than last year's Andrew?); BUT you're not going to get me to admit my inexplicable (outside of Heidi Klum) addiction to Project Runway.

What? Dammit! You're a witch, DS. :hide:

Good lord!

Project Runway!

And you liked Andrew!

I hardly know who you are......
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:47 pm

I am also hooked on this particular line.

I was disappointed that no one got sent home this time, though. I think it's because the clear worst dish was Jamie's, and she's been strong in other episodes (I think she has like 3 "2nd places") and they didn't want to keep her over Eugene or Whats-her-name (just rewind any past episode to check who's in the bottom 3: she's always there).

"I just gotta cook my food."

No, Eugene, you have to start cooking some GOOD food. YOUR food, apparently, is not of this ilk.

This has been pretty good so far: the most egregious clods have gotten the wazoo already, except for that one woman with the bangs. Great Scott, she's terrible.

Martha Stewart blows, BTW.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby diminishingskills » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Don't think this season is nearly as strong as last. I think that Blais, Stephanie, Sneaky Hot Antonia, or Dale could easily have won the current season. (Blais or Steph, with one knife tied behind their backs.) Maybe even Spike or Greasy McBitchface. In fact, I think Tom would have already crowned them the winner, six episodes in, telling the rest of the crew that they'd be gunning for second place.

Hoping Fabio gets the win this season. He and Stefan should have their own show -- they play off each other very well. Also think that Jeff will be the stealth entrant into the final three. (BTW, am I the only one who giggles when they flash the text saying that he is the chef at the DiLido Beach Club? I always think it says "dildo". Yes, I have the humor level of an eight-year-old, why do you ask?)

And Lee, Andrew was one of the high points last season (with the word "high" used however you want to take it). But if you don't have a culinary boner for him, that's OK.

Finally: yes, I will out myself as a PR fan too. Santino Rice still ranks as the all-time best contestant on a reality show. Him doing Tim Gunn singing Nine Inch Nails' "Closer" ... still bring tears to the eyes.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote: Sneaky Hot Antonia

:wow:

DiminishingSkills wrote:BTW, am I the only one who giggles when they flash the text saying that he is the chef at the DiLido Beach Club? I always think it says "dildo". Yes, I have the humor level of an eight-year-old, why do you ask?)

No, not at all and my wife thinks I am an idiot for it

But the real reason I watch???

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:55 am

Alright, Andrew sucked (even though he was amusing) because he lived about ten years beyond his expiration date. The guy was funny for the first five or so rounds, then he got stale and he could not cook a damn thing. He was a wanna be CJ (one of my top three contestants of all time).

My List of Top Chef Contestants I Most Want To Punch in the Face:

1) Spike
- I hated him during the season, but going to his shitty breakfast place/restaurant in DC and hearing accounts from my ex about how he acts around town sealed the deal. Talk about Napoleon Complex... all 5'8 100 soaking wet pounds of him just screams I cannot take care of business in the sac so I went on TV and acted like I was cool. I'd punch him six times in the face if I lived in DC and got the chance. Dude is like the WhackPhisto of Top Chef.

2) Marcel
- 'nuff said

3) Hung
- He idolized Marcel and he beat Casey.... die! die! die!

4) Andrew
- No, you are not CJ

5) TBD this season

My favorites in a jumble:

Harold, CJ, Sam, Stephen, Cliff, Casey, Ilan (yeah, I know how to pick 'em)

As for "PR" I am sorry. Really.... Back in school when the first season premiered we would have to wait for the girls to get done with "PR" before they would even come out... being intrigued I checked it out. I left with one conclusion, you have to be a girl or be gay to really enjoy this. Otherwise you would be sane and just DVR best week ever and catch them making fun of all the peeps.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 am

My wife watches religiously while I surf the web. I find the little Italian Jersey girl a little cute. Reminds of a few cute italiano babes I grew up with. We seem to watch every season though I don't follow the detail like she does.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:20 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Alright, Andrew sucked (even though he was amusing) because he lived about ten years beyond his expiration date. The guy was funny for the first five or so rounds, then he got stale and he could not cook a damn thing. He was a wanna be CJ (one of my top three contestants of all time).

I didn't start following the show until the fourth season and have seen very little of the first three. (Did see the whole hazing/shaving thing from S2; Colicchio was right, they should have tossed Marcel/Ilan/Elia/Sam right then and there, even if it meant killing the season.)

As for Andrew, or any contestant, I think it's hard to say "he couldn't cook a damn thing" when we don't get to taste his food. Unlike PR, where the result is visual, TC's result cuts across visual, taste, and smell; and as the audience, we do not get two of those three elements, and have to take others' word for it. In Andrew's case, he did win one challenge and represented well in several others (that said ... little sushi rolls in cops' lunchboxes? Yeah, he deserved to PYKAG for that one). And he made for great TV -- I still chuckle when my mental DVD cues up him in the football helmet at the Bears' tailgate ("this is my house, and this is my game, and this is what I play"). Somewhere in there is a sponsorship with Red Bull that just has to happen.

As for "PR" I am sorry. Really.... Back in school when the first season premiered we would have to wait for the girls to get done with "PR" before they would even come out... being intrigued I checked it out. I left with one conclusion, you have to be a girl or be gay to really enjoy this. Otherwise you would be sane and just DVR best week ever and catch them making fun of all the peeps.

I think PR is a better show than TC (which is interesting because the same company has produced both). TC muddies the waters with two different challenges per show, which results in us never seeing all of the contestants' dishes; and PR does a much better job of stringing out the drama by eliminating the contestants until the loser is the only one left. And let's not forget that PR has many more hot chicks, thanks to all the models. But as the elegant Tim Gunn would say, chacun a son gout ("everybody has his taste"). That's why the remote lets you change the channel.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Stolliosis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am

3) Hung
- He idolized Marcel and he beat Casey.... die! die! die!

I think Hung is my all-time favorite.

He won me over with the Quickfire where they had to make something using ingredients from one aisle of the grocery store and he got stuck with the cereal aisle so he had fun with it and made that crazy Smurf village looking thing.
Stolliosis

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:My List of Top Chef Contestants I Most Want To Punch in the Face:

How does Jen get left off that list? Subject of one of my favorite TC lines (from Blais): "Congratulations, you won the fucking bronze medal."

My favorites in a jumble:

Harold, CJ, Sam, Stephen, Cliff, Casey, Ilan (yeah, I know how to pick 'em)

Yeah, Sam was obviously Padma's favorite too. Only contestant I remember her going Jimmy Swaggart over (credit: Madre) when they had to PYKAG.

I left with one conclusion, you have to be a girl or be gay to really enjoy (PR).

Well, I am a lesbian.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:02 pm

1) I think a lot of our differences over Andrew are tied to the fact that you didn't really start watching before last season. I think the cooking was very good last season, but as a whole it was my least favorite cast (personality wise) thus far. That said, Andrew in the Bears helmet was one of the highlights and I am willing to cede your point on us not actually tasting the food (although if I had any skillz I would just steal the recipes from the Top Chef website and do my thing, but I am void of skillz)

2) Jen absolutely should have been included, my mistake. I'll squeeze her in just above Andrew.

3) Something in my brain cannot watch a show about designing clothes, but to each his/her own....

4) I still need to catch up on this season (planning on it this weekend as I said) then I'll be able to comment on this season v. last.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:3) Something in my brain cannot watch a show about designing clothes, but to each his/her own....

The show is not about designing clothes.

Yes, clothes are designed on the show. But that is not what the show is about.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:28 pm

1) I think a lot of our differences over Andrew are tied to the fact that you didn't really start watching before last season. I think the cooking was very good last season, but as a whole it was my least favorite cast (personality wise) thus far. That said, Andrew in the Bears helmet was one of the highlights and I am willing to cede your point on us not actually tasting the food (although if I had any skillz I would just steal the recipes from the Top Chef website and do my thing, but I am void of skillz)

That's fair, and of course I can't comment on the casts from previous seasons.

Last year, I really liked Blais and Steph. They were both really good chefs (especially Richard -- it says something when the guest chefs are asking you questions about how to do something), but also seemed like good people. When Dale was working for Steph, and accidentally left the one dish out overnight (ruining it), Steph took it in stride -- the type of person who knows how to get past things and move on to what's important.

Blais's "You won the fucking bronze medal. Congratulations. There you go." was the quote of the season, although they really couldn't put that on the T-shirt.

Oh, and Oktane and I will disagree about this one till the end of time, but I thought Nikki was smoking hot.

2) Jen absolutely should have been included, my mistake. I'll squeeze her in just above Andrew.

I think you guys mean Lisa (aka Greasy McBitchface), not Jen. (Jen actually seemed pretty agreeable.) It's pretty sad when your major culinary achievement of the season is a wedding cake that evokes images of the Kremlin.

3) Something in my brain cannot watch a show about designing clothes, but to each his/her own....

Agree to disagree. We can still have beers (or in some cases, sissy drinks with little umbrellas) together.

4) I still need to catch up on this season (planning on it this weekend as I said) then I'll be able to comment on this season v. last.

Good deal. Not to poison your viewpoint, but I think it is objectively true that this season's chefs don't got the game that last season's had.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:39 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:Good deal. Not to poison your viewpoint, but I think it is objectively true that this season's chefs don't got the game that last season's had.

The judges' table comments by Tom pretty much make this explicit.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby El Heffe » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Seriously, DEVILED EGGS!!!???

Although Natasha Richardson was just fine in that episode.
El Heffe

Favorite Player: Bob Golic
Least Favorite Player: Welkahh!!!!

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:55 pm

El Heffe wrote:Seriously, DEVILED EGGS!!!???

Why the hell would anyone want to eat 6 deviled eggs? It is already dumb enough to do them then to think people want to eat 6 of them. Worst idea ever
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Ziner wrote:Why the hell would anyone want to eat 6 deviled eggs?

To win the "Cool Hand Luke" challenge?

I'm graspin' at straws here.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:33 pm

El Heffe wrote:Although Natasha Richardson was just fine in that episode.

[smartass]Does Natasha Richardson have breasts? I couldn't quite tell. [/smartass]
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
El Heffe wrote:Although Natasha Richardson was just fine in that episode.

[smartass]Does Natasha Richardson have breasts? I couldn't quite tell. [/smartass]

This still pales in comparison to Padma's outfit at the wedding shower with the neon signs pointing down from her neck, "Here! Here are my breasts! Revere them! They are here!"
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Speaking of woman on Top Chef, does anyone find Leah hot?

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/bios/bios.php?c=leah

I remember Hosea saying he thought she was hot but I am kinda on the fence. She totally has the girl next store look going on but I wouldnt go as far as to say she is hot. Any thoughts?
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:20 pm

jack_tors wrote:Speaking of woman on Top Chef, does anyone find Leah hot?

I remember Hosea saying he thought she was hot but I am kinda on the fence. She totally has the girl next store look going on but I wouldnt go as far as to say she is hot. Any thoughts?

Good call, Jack. To me, Leah is one of those chicks you look at and say, "hey, she's kinda hot". Then the next time you see her, you wonder to yourself, "what the hell was I thinking?". Back and forth...with no finite resolution. Didn't they make a Seinfeld episode based on this very phenomenon?
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:52 pm

She's not Padma hot, but she is hot in her own way. Seems like she has a nice rack under that chef's coat; I would suggest to the TC producers that they give her immunity in exchange for being in a wet T-short contest, purely in the interests of research.

I think she may also benefit from relative hotness -- i.e., she looks hot because the other women on this season are [NOTE: I was always told not to say anything at all if I couldn't say anything nice.] You know the saying "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"? It applies here. The two other cute women this season were bounced in the first two episodes.

BTW, I can't get behind Ariane's Jersey Cougar campaign. I can't get behind anything associated with her. She annoys. Really, she's won two challenges for (a) cutting up a tomato and (b) roasting some lamb? She is the 1997 Indians -- she keeps winning, but nobody is really sure how she keeps doing it. I'm hoping she reaches her Mesa moment long before the finals.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:

Good call, Jack. To me, Leah is one of those chicks you look at and say, "hey, she's kinda hot". Then the next time you see her, you wonder to yourself, "what the hell was I thinking?". Back and forth...with no finite resolution. Didn't they make a Seinfeld episode based on this very phenomenon?

Exactly! Good from afar but far from good.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:12 pm

More evidence of "not much talent" these past couple weeks. When you get by making corn on the cob for your elimination challenge (I'm looking at you, Radhika), you know the competition blows. Even though she was lucky to have gotten this far, it was tough to see Ariane get the boot the way she did (by totally getting f'd over by Hosea and Leah). Looks like Hosea and Leah get their groove on next week: must see tv for their significant others. Personally, I'd prefer to see Stefan get the shit kicked out of him, but maybe that's just me.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:23 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:Any other Top Chef fans out there?

I am addicted to this show, as in Chipotle addicted -- I simply have to have my fix on Wednesday nights. Don't know if it is because of the food, the competition, the reality-show drama (and I normally can't stand reality shows), Gail Simmons' huge rack, the potential appearance of Anthony Bourdain as a guest judge, or the lovely Padma Laskhmi as host. (Actually, I do know. It's Padma. I'd watch the show if it were just her reading from a phone book for 60 minutes.)

I know of at least a couple of board regulars who need their fix too (I won't "out" them here though) ... wondering if anybody else likes the show.

Love this show, also love anything with Gordon Ramsey. I've even found a bunch of Ramsey stuff on the bbc.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby diminishingskills » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Preview from next week's episode

"There is no reason to eat vegetables when there is meat and fish around"? I Heart Fabio.

BTW -- on a Top Chef-related note -- if you are ever in the Boston area and get the chance to eat at Blue Ginger, the restaurant of Ming Tsai (who has been a guest judge on a couple of episodes), go. Great food. Got to see Ming himself; was tempted to ask him if Padma lights up between takes, or if she is just that naturally mellow.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:37 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:"There is no reason to eat vegetables when there is meat and fish around"? I Heart Fabio.

"This is Top Chef, not Top Scallops!"

BTW, admitting that Radhika was very very very very very bad at working the front of the house and that she certainly deserved to get the wazoo, I was hoping it was Karla to be sent off from Restaurant Wars. Radhika should simply have told Jeff to work house and that's final, and certainly the producers of the show should be smacked around for giving the teams non-working freezers (I mean, c'mon, is there NO backup plan here?!), but Radhika has simply COOKED a lot better than Karla has and I'm sorry that choice was made.

While I'm here, the British judge must die. He is beyond awful. Transcendently bad. Awful, awful, awful.

Every second devoted to Hosea and Leah is two seconds wasted: one from pure annoyance, and a second from something else interesting that could have been shown but wasn't.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:50 pm

I just keep hoping every show will be the last show for Karla, she drives me nuts. Not sure why, just does
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:Preview from next week's episode

"There is no reason to eat vegetables when there is meat and fish around"? I Heart Fabio.

BTW -- on a Top Chef-related note -- if you are ever in the Boston area and get the chance to eat at Blue Ginger, the restaurant of Ming Tsai (who has been a guest judge on a couple of episodes), go. Great food. Got to see Ming himself; was tempted to ask him if Padma lights up between takes, or if she is just that naturally mellow.

Good to hear you were in town and no beers were had, that said I have been eyeing up Blue Ginger for awhile.

Nice work.......

The lower talent level is very clear this year. They are lacking the crazy star type chef of season past (from Marcell to Dick) and there seems to be five crappy chefs this year, which is lame (almost all are gone now).

Not sure how I feel about the new judge either. I liked the Queer eye guy better.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Inspector Butters » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Top Chef is a great show, and I'm hugely addicted like most people on the post.

Anyone else out there think they should give Andrew from Season 4 his own reality show?
"In Cleveland? Why, I didn't know we still had a team!"

"Yep, we got uniforms and everything."
Inspector Butters

Favorite Player: Cabrera and Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Inspector Butters wrote:
Anyone else out there think they should give Andrew from Season 4 his own reality show?

He is too big of a spaz :woot:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Everytime Karla speaks I want to rip her head off.

Where the hell was the Browns Helmet.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Inspector Butters » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:30 pm

Ziner wrote:Everytime Karla speaks I want to rip her head off.

Where the hell was the Browns Helmet.

I'm with you there. But at least they didn't do a Steelers or Ravens helmet.
"In Cleveland? Why, I didn't know we still had a team!"

"Yep, we got uniforms and everything."
Inspector Butters

Favorite Player: Cabrera and Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 am

Steve Buffum wrote:
While I'm here, the British judge must die. He is beyond awful. Transcendently bad. Awful, awful, awful.

Yes, that guy is a walking cartoon. Seriously, Gail needs to come back and judge soon. This guy annoys the shit out of me too.

Also, how is Leah still there? Seriously, half the time it doesnt seem like she cares about what she is doing. As weird as Karla is at least she tries and puts some effort into her work. I think Leah is the next gone.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 pm

Hey Carla.... :fu:

Just prayin she is gone this show.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Ziner wrote:Hey Carla.... :fu:

Serious B.S. that Jaime went home. I am not a fan but Leah is intolerable and anyone who quits in the middle of a challenge doesnt deserve to be there.

At this point, Stefan would have to do completely horrible not to win the entire thing.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 am

jack_tors wrote:
Ziner wrote:Hey Carla.... :fu:

Serious B.S. that Jaime went home.

I'm going to have to disagree. Didn't she make a scallop-related dish in each of the first five or six shows? I don't think that she's shown enough variety throughout the whole thing.

They probably kept Leah because of her fling with Hosea and people seem to be interested in that kind of thing. Though they both say its over, who knows.

I agree Ziner. Carla is unbearably irritating.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Jamie was/is probably a better chef than Leah, Carla, and Hosea.

But.

You do NOT slam on the guest chef's dish. Especially when said guest chef is one of the most-recognized folks in his game. Forget the competition; you're on national TV, in a show that I am sure is watched by most everybody in the field, and they're going to remember you if you act disrespectful and bitchy.

And if your dish tastes "metallic" ... well, I don't think I've ever heard that used in a complimentary way.

As whiny as Leah is (and part of me wishes Colicchio would have burst into the room during the QF and sent her ass home for quitting -- you do NOT fucking quit), Jamie's sense of entitlement pissed me off even more. I'm not sorry to see her go.

Really, they should just play for second place. This season is Top Stefan. I'd like to see Team Fabio sneak out the win (WTF does it look like he does to his thumb in next week's show, BTW? Looks pretty nasty), but he's definitely David to Stefan's Goliath.

The mental image I keep getting this season is Richard Blais, sitting at home watching these shows, and thinking to himself, "fuck, if I'd just waited six months to be on the show, I would have made the easiest hundred grand of my life. That would have kept me in pink Crocs till the end of time."
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:37 pm

I have seen a grand total of 1 episode from this season. I'm rooting for the tall guy.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby diminishingskills » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Fabio won.

Fabio also had about a dozen classic lines. ("This is Top Chef, not Top Pussy"; and the whole rant about cutting off his finger was hysterical.)

Stefan got pimp-slapped by the judges.

Leah and her whiny little ass got sent home.

Really, could it have been a better episode?
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Steffan caught a huge break. Overcooking your protein seems to be mortal sin territory on the show and he squeaked into the final four. That said, I'll be both surprised and not so surprised if he does or doesnt take home the competition. He's the most talented chef I've seen out of the couple seasons I've watched, but the show's hyped him as so unstoppable that they might be setting up a huge giants-pats super bowl 42 upset.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby diminishingskills » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:Steffan caught a huge break. Overcooking your protein seems to be mortal sin territory on the show and he squeaked into the final four. That said, I'll be both surprised and not so surprised if he does or doesnt take home the competition. He's the most talented chef I've seen out of the couple seasons I've watched, but the show's hyped him as so unstoppable that they might be setting up a huge giants-pats super bowl 42 upset.

Agree. Carla may be the dark horse -- she has really been coming on strong the past few episodes. Fabio could sneak in. Fish Guy Hosea is the Ringo in this particular version of the Beatles. (Did you know that he is a fish guy?)

Still think the best cheftestant I've seen (disclaimer: I didn't start watching till season 4) was Blais. A guy who could make bacon ice cream, and have everybody think it was the best thing ever? That's creativity.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Best episode of the season.

Carla reminds me of the greasy lesbian from last year. Average at best cooks who should have been eliminated multiple times getting lucky at the end with dishes that are right in their wheel house and squeaking into the finals.

I hate them both and if they never get a chance to be on television again the world will be a better place.

Fabio was my hero last week.

And yes, Blais was the best ever. How he managed to lose is still beyond me.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby diminishingskills » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Best episode of the season.

Carla reminds me of the greasy lesbian from last year. Average at best cooks who should have been eliminated multiple times getting lucky at the end with dishes that are right in their wheel house and squeaking into the finals.

I hate them both and if they never get a chance to be on television again the world will be a better place.

Fabio was my hero last week.

And yes, Blais was the best ever. How he managed to lose is still beyond me.

I find Carla much more likable. Kooky, but in a good (though somewhat annoying) way. Lisa just trotted out the bitchface, week after week after week.

Fabio NEEDS to come out of this with his own show. I want the audio of him standing on a chair and shouting, "mamma mia!" to be my cell phone ringtone.

Blais was great, but he came in with the "ringer" status, and I think Bravo wanted to avoid giving him the win unless he clearly lapped the field. We are talking about a guy who had been on "Iron Chef" prior to "Top Chef", after all. (I know you don't watch it, but the 4th season of PR had a very similar situation -- there was a guy who had designed gowns for the Oscars, and was the odds-on favorite from the beginning, yet he too ended up being the bridesmaid at the end.) (Given the way most male fashion designers swing, using "bridesmaid" in that sentence seems very fitting.) Steph was a very solid contestant too, and I can't quibble with her getting the win.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:03 am

OMG I cannot stand this show. It makes me ill. I sometimes flip to this cuz Padma is so hot, but then she starts talking all slow with that cadence of hers, and I realize she isn't anywhere in the same proximity and promptly flip the channel.

However if ya dig it dats kewl... I wouldn't admit to some of the crap I watch so my judgement don't mean squat...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture