Text Size

The Gamblers Den

All Sports Fantasy League?

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

All Sports Fantasy League?

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I got this idea from the Hoops Hockey Hijinx. Not sure if its ever been done before, but I've been rolling it around all morning and wondering if anyone would be interested.

10 guys in the league. Hold a draft around beginning of 2010. Everybody drafts 3 MLB teams, 3 NBA teams, and 3 NFL teams (2 NFL teams go undrafted - I assume Browns and Raiders). Beginning with MLB Opening Day 2010 and running through the end of the 10-11 NBA season. Every MLB win counts as 1 point, NBA wins as 2 points, and NFL as 10 points. Playoff wins count too.

It can also work with 15 guys drafting 2 teams from each sport, or 16 guys drafting a total of 5 teams from the 3 sports, or any of a bunch of other combinations. I just thought of this 20 minutes ago, so it can obviously use some tweaking.

Anyone interested? Any input? (No NHL suggestions please)
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: All Sports Fantasy League?

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Why not? I'm in. Like the idea.

Maybe give playoff wins a little extra juice. Some kind of bonus for the champion. What about not mandating that owners pick x teams from each sport. Have 92 teams total ... so you could do 10 guys, 9 teams each ... or 15 guys 6 teams each.

With jpd1224's group of degenerates, should have no problem getting 15 guys. 90 teams, so $90 entry fee. $1000 for first, $350 for second.

Just need to tweak the point system and draft rules. Draft should occur as close to MLB opening day as possible, as all teams will be at a big disadvantage picking NBA teams a season ahead ... also we will want as much empirical NFL offseason data (FA, draft, etc) as possible before drafting.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:41 pm

The point system would definitely need to be fine-tuned. I like the idea of giving an additional bonus to championship teams.

As far as not making it concrete how many teams everyone needs to pick from each league, I agree it would be better with looser rules, but everyone should have to have at least 1 team in each sport.

Would it be too much to add 1 NCAAF and 1 NCAAB to each team?

As for draft time, what if we drafted MLB separate from NFL and NBA, with the 2nd draft in reverse order of the 1st? Because as you point out, at the beginning of the MLB season, the previous NBA season hasnt even finished yet. Or maybe make the draft 80 games in to the MLB season, without counting the 1st half of MLB but making the point value equal to the NBA? I'm just thinking out loud here.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Earl17 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Count me as one of the degenerates from the Hoops-Hockey League.

I love the idea. Not sure if I like the idea of the bonus points for teams making the playoffs. I like my games to have a little bit of skill involved and my one problem with the Hoops-Hockey is that the draft is basically using the Vegas Odds for win totals. I won the Hoops-Hockey last year because I got lucky and the Cavs were only projected for like 50-some wins and they were like the 11th or 12th best team and I was able to grab them late. I like being able to draft my teams in person rather then off a list because you have to be able to see how a draft is going and make adjustments as the draft unfolds based on who drafts whom.

I do like the idea of being able to draft say 9 teams and it can be of any combination of sports but it would be difficult to do if you draft prior to MLB 2010 season. I like the inclusion of NCAAF and NCAAB teams.

If everything is going to be equal drafts should be held two weeks or so before the season so that you can have as much data as possible about the teams.
Earl17

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Count me in.. sounds like a sweet idea... I'd be all for adding in some NCAAF and NCAAB teams too.

just to keep it fair at least one team from each sport, but maybe even a "flex" or wild card team from any sport could be used.
ASPDawgpound12

Favorite Player: Tyrone Hill
Least Favorite Player: DA

Return to The Gamblers Den