Text Size

The Gamblers Den

Presque Isle Horse Racing

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

Presque Isle Horse Racing

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Heading out to Presque Isle tomorrow for my bachelor party to bet on some horses. I have never bet thoroughbred racing before so I welcome any tips. I am pretty familiar with harness racing but am looking for any additional information on the sport. Any tips would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your time.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Presque Isle Horse Racing

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Well, I'm more of a greyhound racing fan, but the same logic pretty much applies except for the jockey.

Talk to the other people about the jockeys that win. More often than not, it's all about the jockey with horses. Take note of who has the fastest time. Then take note of who has the most consistent time. You can learn about a horse from looking at what it's capable of, but what it's more likely to do.

I'm not keen on the experts' tip sheet. They seem to be right 25% of the time or so. Not even in the right order, just the right top 4.

Most people bet the $6 win/place/show. It can be lucrative if a long shot hits. If not, you're likely to make no more than $6-10 profit on that race, if one at all. Betting $6+ a race gets pricey.

Generally, what I like to do, is try to $2 superfecta whenever possible. If you hit the 4 in exact order, you get fat money, like $2k on the low end. You'll rarely hit one, but it's worth the $2 risk occasionally.

Quiniellas are your best bet. That's picking the top two to finish in any order. It's a $2 bet that wins 1/2 the exacta. Generally, you'll get about $10-12 for this. I like playing these and it's a safe play for someone there looking for enjoyment rather than a big payday.

Have fun, let me know how it goes.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Presque Isle Horse Racing

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm

1. Try to find out which horses are scheduled to win on that day.

2. Follow the Lasix delivery man.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to The Gamblers Den