Text Size

The Rumble Room

And boxing is better than mma?????????

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

And boxing is better than mma?????????

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Holyfield offered fight with WBA heavyweight champ Valuev:

http://www.sportsline.com/boxing/story/11017404

Re: And boxing is better than mma?????????

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm

10 awesome fights in the next two months and you trot this out as why mma is better.

You say not to indict mma because of the Kimbo Slice debacle, yet take a cheap shot at boxing, a sport you allegedly love, because this fights happening.

Contradict yourself a little more there Big Squirrel.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Holyfield fighting for a title is a fucking joke.
Do you disagree?

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 pm

I do love boxing but this is the shit that makes me say mma is better.
John Ruiz just fought for a title again also.
There is more bad in boxing than there is good.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 pm

There is more bad in boxing than there is good.

I could not disagree with you more. If you look for the bad, and ignore the good, of course you will come to that conclusion.

The last three years have been loaded with great fights, 80% of them free on HBO and Showtime. The Vasquez/Marquez trilogy, the Pac Man/Juan Manuel fights, Mayweathers run, all the great fights at the loaded welterweight division, Pavlik's rise to power and prominence, Cotto's wars, the rise of guys like Berto/Gamboa/Dawson. I could go on and on. All this shit is from the last couple years, and all the big fights are happening. And all the fights are free.

But boxing sucks cause Holyfield might get some meaningless title fight for one of the meaningless alphabet belts. :lmfao:

Whatever you say cuz.

We get it, you hate boxing. No need to remind us every week. We'll be down to no traffic at all in this forum in no time.

:dead:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 pm

The only time there was traffic on here is when the Kimbo debacle happened you clown.
Pavlik fights in a week, does anyone here know that?
There have been a lot of great fights in boxing, but a lot more in the UFC.
80% free? Where did you pull that stat?
Who said boxing sucks anyway?
My show has had Paul Williams, Juan Diaz, and Chad Dawson on it in the last few weeks. I DO HATE BOXING
You got me.
You might be the reason nobody talks boxing, I'm not sure.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Dr and Swerb you guys are killing me with this dead end argument...you guys remind me of the Donkeys and Elephants at this time of the year...and yet I get sucked down the foxhole anyhow.

This is like a pointless argument about which food is better; donuts or ice cream. They're both enjoyable (no I'm not fat/or a cop), but they both have a downside in that they'll make you sick and fat if you consistently indulge.

I believe they're both great, one is up and coming (MMA) and one is on its way back (Boxing) and yet they both have some drawbacks.

I agree 100% with Dr in that MMA (at least in the UFC)has better, or more loaded if you will, cards... usually a six-pack of highly competitive and compelling fights. Although on a singular fight basis, there is nothing that rates higher on the carnage meter than a classic war (Hagler/Hearns, Leonard/Hearns, Gotti/Ward, Corrales/Castillo, Holyfield/Tyson I, heck even Bika/Codrington last year) inside the ring. And no matter how popular MMA becomes, I don't believe it will ever surpass boxing in this respect...although Forrest Griffith and Stephan Bonner gave it a pretty good shot. Can you imagine that fight for 9 more rounds?

I've actually been at boxing cards (years ago) in which they were literally pulling guys off of the street to fill the card. There is no symmetry between the top and bottom of the cards, even at the highest level of boxing. So if the main event is a dud, the entire show may be a waste...not so much on the MMA side of things though.

BTW-Are you sure you guys aren't brothers? This stuff kinda reminds me of an online version of me and my brothers growing up when we get locked out of the house by my mom with one pair of boxing gloves (good thing they were both lefties)to settle our disputes (like over who got the biggest bowl of Fruity Pebbles). We'd flare away at each other for what seemed like hours with no clear winner, while the other brother was inside eating the whole darn box (hey we were poor what can I say).

The moral of the story...there never really is one, but both sports are great anyhow.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 pm

BustedKnuckles,
Great post, thanks for that.
Me (Scott Swerbinsky) and Swerb are actually cousins and as close as brothers.
Our relationship is based on us arguing I think.

You summed it up pretty damn good.

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:24 pm

I see that Dr, and as Thomas Jefferson once said "An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry" so far be it from me to criticize.

I suppose I've always just preferred discussing sports and leave the bickering to politics and dealings with the opposite sex. I've always felt that's what makes us more evolved than the suits and the skirts.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Me being the most stubborn person you will ever meet might have something to do with it also.

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 pm

I used to like both MMA and boxing a lot back in the day. But, to tell you the truth, i feel both sports have slipped. Holyfiled should not even be able to fight. There are also wat too many belts. I mean, how many heavyweight champions are there? Isn't the idea of a champion to be the top (one) guy or team? And as i posted in another thread, i think MMA has become to tame. When it first came on, there was a underground feel to it. Almost like the movie Fight Club. To me, it just doesn't have the excitement it once had. While they are still good sports, i don't think they are as good as they once were.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:42 pm

DarNoor wrote:I used to like both MMA and boxing a lot back in the day. But, to tell you the truth, i feel both sports have slipped. Holyfiled should not even be able to fight. There are also wat too many belts. I mean, how many heavyweight champions are there? Isn't the idea of a champion to be the top (one) guy or team? And as i posted in another thread, i think MMA has become to tame. When it first came on, there was a underground feel to it. Almost like the movie Fight Club. To me, it just doesn't have the excitement it once had. While they are still good sports, i don't think they are as good as they once were.

I think MMA has only gotten better. I am not nearly as huge a fan of this as my brother (Fight Dr), but I do watch it occasionally. When I was first introduced to the UFC you saw the same few fighters numerous times, now it seems as if there is so much new younger talent out there. the fighters are more experienced at more than just one style of fighting. In the early days of the UFC (besides the Gracies) it was a slugfest, beatddown, or a backyard brawl in the octagon.The fights today seem more tactical, and involve a deep plan of attack.
Boxing to me is boring. Not since the days of Mike Tyson have I been interested in boxing.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Yeah Knuckles, it's all good between me and The Fight Dr. We both love both sports. Clearly we disagree on which is the superior of the two.

I just gotta keep him in check when he starts hypin Roy Jones and when he throws the entire sport of boxing under the bus every time Ruiz or Holyfield fights.

:bunny:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 pm

What will you do when Roy beats Calfaggy?
That's what I want to know.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:15 pm

FightDr wrote:What will you do when Roy beats Calfaggy?
That's what I want to know.

I'd love to see those two knock each other out like Rocky and Apollo in Rocky II. It'll be like watching the Steelers play the Ravens.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Swerb wrote:10 awesome fights in the next two months and you trot this out as why mma is better.

You say not to indict mma because of the Kimbo Slice debacle, yet take a cheap shot at boxing, a sport you allegedly love, because this fights happening.

Contradict yourself a little more there Big Squirrel.

that bunny has 2 pancakes on its head
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:32 pm

2 is a great number

Return to The Rumble Room