Text Size

The Rumble Room

Calzaghe to kick more arse

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Calzaghe to kick more arse

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm

MANCHESTER, England -- Hampered by a fragile left hand and frustrated by boxing politics, Joe Calzaghe believes he is only two fights away from unifying the super middleweight titles.

The unbeaten Brit (41-0) defends his IBF and WBO belts against Australia-based Sakio Bika of Cameroon on Saturday at MEN Arena. Boxing's longest reigning world champion, Calzaghe will be going for his 19th successful world title defense.

The hand injury and lack of a suitable opponent have kept the 34-year-old Calzaghe out of the ring since his lopsided decision over IBF champion Jeff Lacy in March. He can now see a route to holding all the titles.

Although Calzaghe says he will be concentrating on Bika, he will have an interest in Saturday's other super middleweight fight in Copenhagen, where Denmark's unbeaten WBA champion Mikkel Kessler faces Germany's WBC champ Markus Beyer.

"I want to fight until I cannot fight any more," said Calzaghe, who has defended the WBO title for nine years but has never beaten a truly big name such as Roy Jones Jr. "But it is a rare breed of fighter who actually gets out on top.

"I think that is a realistic goal for me. I would like to fight another four or five fights but not beyond the age of 36."

In Copenhagen, Beyer weighed in Friday at 167.7 pounds, with Kessler at 167.9. Beyer, who at 35 is eight years older than Kessler, is nicknamed "Boom Boom" and has a 34-2-1 record with 13 knockouts.

"I am ready, I feel good and I am fit," Beyer said.

Kessler, nicknamed "The Viking Warrior," is 37-0, with 28 knockouts.

"The way I see it, he stands no chance," Kessler said. "If I spot a chance, I'll go for the knockout, but otherwise I am ready for 12 rounds."

A powerful left-hander who fought virtually the perfect fight to take the IBF crown from Lacy, Calzaghe has been chasing the likes of Jones and Bernard Hopkins since he took the WBO crown from Chris Eubank nine years ago.

"I would love to go over [to the United States] and fight," he said. "But these guys are avoiding me because Hopkins retired and Roy Jones got himself beat. But it would great to have at least one fight in America."

Before that, he must take care of Bika, who has lost one of his 23 fights, a majority decision to Australia's Sam Soliman four years ago. He fought Beyer in May but the fight was declared a technical draw after four rounds when the German sustained a bad cut.

Bika's trainer, Angelo Hyder, said Calzaghe's punching power was overrated.

"Joe is a nonpuncher," he said. "He hit Jeff Lacy 5,000 times in his last fight in March and could not knock him out."

Calzaghe is the best boxer out there at the moment. For some reason fighters have to go and fight in America to gain notoriety and be revered as one of the greatest and with all this undue bias to Floys Mayweather and other American fighters guys like Clinton Woods, Ricky hatton and Calzaghe get ignored even though all of them have title in the respective weight divisions Floyd is yet to dominate a division like Calzaghe and I cant wait for him to meet the 'Hitman' Hatton(also unbeaten) in the future now that is gonna be a fight and I hope its held in my hometown (Manchester where hatton is from) cos I wont wanna miss that one.

I remember the hype around Lacy and he got annihalated.

The best boxers come out of Britain. the UK is the Cuba of the pro game

when Calzaghe unifies the super middleweight belts his next goal should be to beat someone down in the States and go for Louis' record

its almost been a decade of successful title defences for Calzaghe and he still maintains his perfect record since beating fellow Brit Eubank for the title in 1997.

Its about time more of the US fighters got taken down a peg or 2. Starting with O Neil Bell,
David Haye will take Bell's cruiserweight titles next year I know it.

Britain has 5 world Champions

Calzaghe, hatton, Witter, Woods and Harrison

with Haye and Arthur likely to have title fights in 2007 and Michael Hunter not long after
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm

Welcome Danny
Glad to see another boxing guy here
I see your boy is fighting a big name in the sport
What took him so long to fight again?
Has he been injured bad?
He doesn't get a whole lot press here.
I don't think you can say the guy is the best when he only has beaten one name guy.
Hopefully we'll see more of him to judge that.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:34 am

I think Calzaghe has problems with his hands, no? Thats why the long layoff?

I've only seen him fight once, but everything I've read and seen questions his punching power.

Im interested to see him fight more here on American television. Despite not being able to knock him out, dude whooped Lacy's ass. Makes his HBO debut tonight, I'll be watching.

Hopefully a win will set something up with him taking on Winky, Jermain Taylor ... or even Hopkins outta retirement. Now that would be some must see TV.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:57 am

FightDr wrote:Welcome Danny
Glad to see another boxing guy here
I see your boy is fighting a big name in the sport
What took him so long to fight again?
Has he been injured bad?
He doesn't get a whole lot press here.
I don't think you can say the guy is the best when he only has beaten one name guy.
Hopefully we'll see more of him to judge that.

so if he was to fight the winner of the WBA and WBC title fight and unify all the belts in his divsion he still wouldnt get much respect from the US??

when u talk about 'big names' you mean you want him to fight American fighters surely

I think once Calzaghe completes his dominance of the super middleweight, he'll take on whoever the promoters in America want him to just do quieten the haters. He'll probably fight 2-3 more title defences(however i hope he goes for Louis' record)

and then I think he may take a crack at Clinton Woods for the world light heavyweight crown.

JOE CALZAGHE finally believes he has got the recognition he deserves after being awarded a prestigious Ring magazine belt.

The WBO and IBF supermiddleweight king - unbeaten in 41 fights - joins an elite club to be honoured by the respected US publication including Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard and Lennox Lewis.

For years, Welshman Calzaghe, who faces Sakio Bika on Saturday at Manchester's MEN Arena, complained that he never received proper praise for his unbeaten record. But his defeat of Jeff Lacy in March brought rave reviews.

Advertisement

"I never seemed to get the plaudits I felt I deserved," he said. "But the display I put in against Jeff Lacy proved I'm the best super-middleweight in the world.

"And getting the Ring belt is the icing on the cake."

and I hear a Hopkins fight is rumoured in November 2007
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Guest » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Hopefully we just to see more of your guys to see if they are for real
That's all I'm saying
They might be better than we think but it's hard to tell without seeing them

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:47 pm

well Calzaghe is the World Champion why should he go chasing fighters to prove his worth to 200 million biased americans?

fighters should come to him, they should be willing to take less money to get a crack at the most dominant boxer in the sport right now

the Roy Jones fight fell through cos Roy wanted more money, Hopkins wanted double the cash that was agreed, but because a fight falls through between a worthy challenger and a champion its always spun in the challengers favour saying things like Calzaghe fears me or he's scared or he's a hypochondriac, feigning injury. There's politics involved in boxing cant always get the fights out.

Joe broke his wrist months back and has been struggling with it ever since I think it broke again not long after the lacy fight which is probably why he's lost some of his power and why he couldnt knock lacy down on his arse.

Calzaghe has beaten 5 former world champs he's lost 1 amateur boxing fight in his career, none professionally.

Like i said why do Americans call him out and scrutinize him because he hasnt fought in America??

he's the champ, has been for 9 years he should fight on his own turf.

It shouldnt be that the Champ has to prove himself in some foreign country, it should be that the challenger needs to prove himself and beat the Champ on his own turf.

If Calzaghe was American he'd be bigger than Ali and he'd be the best pound for pounder, Mayweather would be cast to the back of most boxing enthusiasts minds.

he doesnt need to fight in a different country to cement his place as one of the greatest he just needs to keep successfully defending his title, take a stab at Louis' record and maybe beat Clinton Woods and the next boxing weight class.

Its a shame America is only starting to recognise Joe so late in his career, by his own admission he says he's only got 2-3 years left in the game or at least thats how long he wants to go on.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Guest » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Bigger than Ali?
WOW

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:02 pm

FightDr wrote:Bigger than Ali?
WOW

yeah big words but I dont that far from the truth

its hard to believe anyone could be bigger than Ali.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Return to The Rumble Room