Text Size

The Rumble Room

Do We Have a Deal for Pavlik-Williams?

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Do We Have a Deal for Pavlik-Williams?

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:26 am

This fight would be HUGE
Williams jumping way up in weight. He has to have a hard time dropping down with his frame.

http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim071108.asp

Unread postby Rusty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 am

So much for Kelly Pavlik cleaning out the MW division. :lol:

The fact of the matter is that the MW division has already been cleaned out, mostly by Pavlik himself, along with some help from John Duddy & Andy Lee getting their faces rearranged by unknown rejects from the Contender series.

Paul Williams' management team has to be completely insane to allow him to jump up two weight classes, let alone fight the best middleweight in the world. If they accept this fight, they are essentially sending him out to get slaughtered.

The sad part in all of this is that Williams appears to be the most lucrative and respectable opponent currently available to Pavlik, other than Arthur Abraham. The middleweight division has suddenly turned into a complete "Ghost town", hasn't it?.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 am

I think Williams would give Pavlik some problems and in no way think he would get slaughtered.
I'd love to see.
If no Abraham or Calzaghe, it would be the most exciting fight out there.

Unread postby BernieBrown » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Williams needs a few more fights before I want this to happen. As it stands right now he would go into the ring a heavy under dog, and I think it would almost be lose lose for Pavlik.

First Williams is a name but not a big name yet. Second Williams is only one fight removed from a loss. Also if Williams did win I think it would hurt Pavlik more then it would help Williams, and if Pavlik wins I don't think he would get anything worthwhile out of it.

This is a fight I would love to see in two years, or so if both men can keep up their dominance.
BernieBrown

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 pm

But as a true fight fan I would much rather see this fight.
I don't Pavlik to fight Allan Green or some other punching bag.

Unread postby Rusty » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:39 am

BernieBrown wrote:Williams needs a few more fights before I want this to happen. As it stands right now he would go into the ring a heavy under dog, and I think it would almost be lose lose for Pavlik.

I see it exactly the same way.

Even if Kelly beats Williams to a pulp in the first round, he will never really get any credit for it. Instead, he will get criticized for fighting a blown up welterweight.

In other words, this a fight where even if Pavik wins, he still loses.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:05 am

Would you rather see a fight with Green or Mayorga?
Or a few of those other guys that nobody has heard of?

I'm tired of great fighters fighting stiffs. We saw that already with Lockett, we don't need a repeat of that unless it's against a bigger name.

Unread postby BernieBrown » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 am

I think Green would be a decent fight he is no tomato can like Lockett was. I could even see Green winning under certain circumstances., but if given the choice Mayorga would be great.

I don't think Mayorga would be as dangerous as Green, because Pavlik has a perfect style to counter Mayorga's. Mayorga also brings in more name recognition, and money then Green does. Pavlik ain't gonna get a whole lot of credit from the boxing press for beating either guy, he may as well fight the guy who will bring in PPV buys.

Right now it seems like we are all just waiting around for them to get the fight with Abraham. So in the mean time I don't mind a few stiffs, as long as we do get the big super fight at the end of them.
BernieBrown

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am

People don't want a Williams fight but want Mayorga?
He is set to fight Sugar Shane, at a lower weight.
Mayorga is garbage and has bounced around all the lower weights.
I give Green zero chance and he would be much better than Mayorga.
If anyone thinks that Mayorga is either a bigger name than Paul Williams or the best option out there, we're in trouble.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am

To us, Williams is a big name. To casual fight fans? Mayorga still may be bigger, even given how badly he's sucked since beatign Forrest 2x.

Casual fight fans drive PPV dollars.

Fight fan in me would love to see Kelly fight Paul Williams. I doubt it will happen in '08 due to the good points made by Rusty and Bernie.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:58 am

I don't think it happens because it's way too risky for both guys.

I still want to see it a lot more than any other possibilities I have heard recently.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

It's by far the most appealing fight being rumored.

I still think Kelly fights one more stiff. Abraham doing the same with Marquez.

Sets up the fight between the two best middlweights for next spring.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:02 pm

If it's a stiff, which it probably will be, it better be in Cleveland.
I also prefer a stiff I have heard of.
It looks like Sugar Shane vs Mayorge is a go so he's out.

Unread postby BernieBrown » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Swerb wrote:To us, Williams is a big name. To casual fight fans? Mayorga still may be bigger, even given how badly he's sucked since beatign Forrest 2x.

Casual fight fans drive PPV dollars.

Exactly my point, very well put Swerb. Right now Willams is still a diamond in the ruff as far as casual fans are concerned, but give it a year or two, and Pavlik vs. Williams is a potential super fight. If Williams keeps up his dominance and beats one, or two fading big names his stock will go through the roof, but right now he is just a liability for Pavlik.
BernieBrown

Return to The Rumble Room