Text Size

The Rumble Room

De La Hoya vs Trinidad II??????????????

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

De La Hoya vs Trinidad II??????????????

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:14 pm

This is terrible for the sport of boxing.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/benz/DHBenz070408.htm

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:35 pm

I'll never forget the first one. Both were at the tops of their games, it was a mega fight. Delahoya won the first 5 rounds then laid down and led Tito win the last seven.

No interest in seeing a rematch though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:03 pm

The first one was a classic.
The sequel, who cares?

Unread postby Rusty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 am

De La Hoya/Trinadad was a somewhat boring fight that never even came close to living up to the hype.

If you want to talk about a legendary fight, look no further than De La Hoya vs. Ike Quartey, back in 1998.

I took a $50 bet on the DLH/Quartey fight with a coworker who happened to be an amateur boxer and was a big fan of DLH. The bet was not about who would win, it was about whether or not Quartey would get knocked out. This guy was totally convinced that Ike was going to get KO'd in the middle rounds.

We ended up meeting at a bar on fight night, along with some other people we worked with. This guy talked a tremendous amount of shit to me at work in the weeks leading up to the fight, so there was alot of interest.

The total explosion of emotion and energy that occurred in that room during the 12th round of that fight is something that I will never forget, ever. Quartey came as close as humanly possible to getting knocked out, but somehow managed to weather the storm until Oscar ran out of gas.

I still think Quartey won that fight, BTW :-) :smile: :)
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:16 am

I had Ike winning that one also.

Unread postby est blues » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Rusty wrote:De La Hoya/Trinadad was a somewhat boring fight that never even came close to living up to the hype.

If you want to talk about a legendary fight, look no further than De La Hoya vs. Ike Quartey, back in 1998.

I took a $50 bet on the DLH/Quartey fight with a coworker who happened to be an amateur boxer and was a big fan of DLH. The bet was not about who would win, it was about whether or not Quartey would get knocked out. This guy was totally convinced that Ike was going to get KO'd in the middle rounds.

We ended up meeting at a bar on fight night, along with some other people we worked with. This guy talked a tremendous amount of shit to me at work in the weeks leading up to the fight, so there was alot of interest.

The total explosion of emotion and energy that occurred in that room during the 12th round of that fight is something that I will never forget, ever. Quartey came as close as humanly possible to getting knocked out, but somehow managed to weather the storm until Oscar ran out of gas.

I still think Quartey won that fight, BTW :-) :smile: :)

Great Story :arrow:
est blues

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:39 pm

I remmeber that fight as well. Cuz, I think you may have been over our old place on Little Mountain for that fight.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:44 pm

I was not there.
I was still at home with my parents and went to a Pantera/Black Sabbath show the following day in Detroit.

Return to The Rumble Room