Text Size

The Rumble Room

NY Times on Pavlik

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

NY Times on Pavlik

Unread postby JoelHammond » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:11 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/sport ... 0&emc=eta1

Not all that much new material, but it's still fun reading.

Any watch parties? Anyone know of any bars getting it? Not to offend MMA fans, but it sucks that most bars get that every weekend and can't take a week off to show a (fairly) native son.
The best Cleveland sports business news can be found at Crain's SportsBiz!
JoelHammond

Favorite Player: Aaron Rodgers
Least Favorite Player: Brett Favre

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 am

Great read.

Man, as a huge boxing fan, someone that's worked for a Youngstown bank for many years, knowing that area ... it has been nothing short of exhilirating watching Pavlik do what he's done.

Had always heard about Kelly as he was coming up the ranks. Never paid any attention at all really till I heard he beat Bronco McKart. Then ... the televised pummelings of the highly regarded Zertuche and Miranda. The two Taylor fights, first one being one of the best scraps of the year. Seeing how the Youngstown community has embraced him, and how, for the most part, riches and titles haven't changed him.

He's done stuff with both STO and my bank. Every person that comes in contact with the kid can do nothing but rave.

And Bert Sugar nails it in this piece ...

In a totally nonpolitically correct way of saying it: He’s white and a Midwestern kid,” said Bert Sugar, a longtime boxing journalist and analyst. “That gives him a constituency that a lot of other American fighters don’t have.”

In addition, Sugar said, “he has a great story; he’s wrapped himself in the fabric of his city and he’s a hero to Youngstown.”

“And we just don’t have heroes today,” he said. “For some reason, we’re out of the hero business.”
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby RattleHead » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

Great read. That sort of blue-collar loyalty is hard to find these days, which is probably why we return his loyalty.

His goal, he said, is to be so successful that he’s “mentioned in the same breath as the Hearns, Leonards, Haglers, Durans, Benitezes.”

“I want to be there,” Pavlik said.

You're already there in our book Kelly.
RattleHead

Favorite Player: Hank Aaron
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48 am

As far as the bars and watch parties, I believe HBO is a lot more tricky for them compared to PPV shows. They are charged a ton to carry them.

Unread postby JoelHammond » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Swerb wrote:Great read.

Man, as a huge boxing fan, someone that's worked for a Youngstown bank for many years, knowing that area ... it has been nothing short of exhilirating watching Pavlik do what he's done.

Had always heard about Kelly as he was coming up the ranks. Never paid any attention at all really till I heard he beat Bronco McKart. Then ... the televised pummelings of the highly regarded Zertuche and Miranda. The two Taylor fights, first one being one of the best scraps of the year. Seeing how the Youngstown community has embraced him, and how, for the most part, riches and titles haven't changed him.

He's done stuff with both STO and my bank. Every person that comes in contact with the kid can do nothing but rave.

And Bert Sugar nails it in this piece ...

In a totally nonpolitically correct way of saying it: He’s white and a Midwestern kid,” said Bert Sugar, a longtime boxing journalist and analyst. “That gives him a constituency that a lot of other American fighters don’t have.”

In addition, Sugar said, “he has a great story; he’s wrapped himself in the fabric of his city and he’s a hero to Youngstown.”

“And we just don’t have heroes today,” he said. “For some reason, we’re out of the hero business.”

Agreed. I grew up in Austintown, and these stories touch a little closer when you know what goes on in the Valley, how they're working hard to transform the city, etc.
The best Cleveland sports business news can be found at Crain's SportsBiz!
JoelHammond

Favorite Player: Aaron Rodgers
Least Favorite Player: Brett Favre

Return to The Rumble Room