Big ups to Cotto for taking this fight. I cannot wait for this one.
Also another example that, unlike 5-6 years ago, for the most part, all the big fights boxing fans want to see are happening right now in the sport. I credit MMA with applying pressure to the sport, to the boxers, to make these fights happen. Outside of the heavyweight division, all the negative press we read abotu boxing earlier in this century has rightfully gone away.
Boxing's never been better in my mind, which is saying a lot given the fact the heavyweight division doesn't even exist. With guys like Mayweather, Cotto, Margarito, Vasquez, The Marqeuzes, Pac Man, Pavlik .... we've been treated to great fight after great fight these last 2-3 years, seemingly a big one every 3-4 weeks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3397573
The fight of the summer is signed, sealed and delivered.
Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto will face Antonio Margarito on July 26 in an HBO PPV bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas now that both have signed for the much-anticipated fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.
"I get really excited about a fight like this because I know it can't be anything but great," Arum said. "That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing."
The fight matching two of boxing's most exciting fighters has been on track since April 12, when they both knocked out opponents on the same card.
Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs), of Puerto Rico, stopped "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez in the fifth round to retain his 147-pound belt for the fourth time and Margarito blew out Kermit Cintron via sixth-round knockout in a rematch.
"These guys both have great chins, great determination and great power," Arum said. "It's going to be some battle. I just hope that they are not ruined from a fight like this."
Mexico's Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) won a world title from Cintron, but he will relinquish it in order to face Cotto rather than fight Joshua Clottey in a far less lucrative mandatory match. Arum said Margarito would officially renounce his title "within the next week."
Before Margarito, 30, defeated Cintron, he had already agreed to terms for the Cotto fight as long as they both won on April 12, Arum said. Cotto, 27, was also committed to the fight, but did not sign until Wednesday night, Arum said.
"Margarito signed off before his fight with Cintron," Arum said. "Cotto wanted the fight but we were going over terms and minutia, and finally Miguel and his team agreed on everything last night."