Text Size

The Rumble Room

UFC 61 - Bitter Rivals = Bitter Subscribers

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

UFC 61 - Bitter Rivals = Bitter Subscribers

Unread postby jdrake10 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 pm

I was disappointed in the two big fights this night. Both Ortiz vs. Shamrock and Sylvia vs. Arlovski were below average. Ortiz immediately had Shamrock hurt although clearly the fight was stopped too quickly. And the Sylvia championship fight was 5 rounds of boredom. I was seriously expecting them to hug and kiss after the fight they danced so much. Hughes vs. Gracie was a little more interesting in UFC 60 a couple of weeks ago, but that was still only an average fight so I consider UFC to be 0-3 in their last 3 big fights.

I am a still a big UFC fan but I have to admit I am starting to wane. I don't agree that it is a novelty as some have posted, but if UFC is going to continue to blow up it needs for the big fights to be exactly that. Think about it, what first timer buyers will buy UFC 62 after buying UFC 61 to see these fights? But UFC can’t control the outcome of fights so they need to get lucky and just hope their marquee fights get more interesting.
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 pm

The Heavyweight title fight sucked, and I'm the biggest UFC on here.
The Tito fight went as expected. Shamrock is OLD and most people thought he was going to get pounded again, which he did.
As far as the early stoppage, I look at it this way: Tito was landing BIG elbow after elbow. The ref did his job seeing Shamrock couldnt block or stop them in anyway. It is better safe than sorry when it comes to the fighter's well being. What if he let it go for another 6 elbows and then Shamrock has to eat out of a straw from then on?????????????

One last note as far as Pay-Per-Views go.
True fans will get everyone no matter what the previous one was like.
Boxing is the same way, you buy a fight and it sucks.
Same when going to the movies, you're not always entertained.
It sucks, but it is true and happens sometimes.

You can't be too big of a fan if you are started to wane.
The sport is more popular and better than ever.

Unread postby jdrake10 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:53 pm

You are correct, I must not be that big of a fan becuase I won't spend another $40. I have only been watching for about 9 months but I was instantly hooked thanks to Spike TV. So I went out and bought UFC 1, 2, and all the early stuff. Then I got into the new modern super fighters, Hughes, Franklin, and Liddell. I am the type of newbie fan that the UFC needs to continue to grow. The diehard UFCers will continue to buy anything just like Michael Jackson's fans will buy his next CD. There is no need to market to them.

The last thing I want to see is anyone got seriously hurt. But Shamrock deserved the chance to weather the storm. He was over matched but I cannot ever recall a fight being stopped that quick before.

In addition, I must give Sylvia and Arlovski a pass. Apprantly both were hurt in the fight. Sylvia passed out after the fight due to a concussion and Arlovski's knee swelled up like a beach ball.
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:06 pm

The next few Pay Per Views will be HUGE
62 is already getting stacked

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:07 pm

UFC 62: AUGUST 26 IN LAS VEGAS

-Chuck Liddell vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title
-Sean Sherk vs. TBA for the vacant UFC Lightweight Title
-David Loiseau vs. Mike Swick
-David Terrell vs. Yushin Okami

Unread postby jdrake10 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:38 am

Liddell vs. Babalu could be a good fight. Nobody has been able to get Liddell to the ground in a long time so this could be interesting. It would be cool to see him have to use his wrestling skills again vs. a skilled submission guy like Babalu. But if it stays on the feet I would expect Liddell to dominate.

I am interested, but I still will not pay for it.
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm a big Babalu fan, his stand-up is much better than the last time he fought Chuck. The first fight was close until Chuck landed that PERFECT kick to the head.
I am very interested in the fight and I will be getting it.
You can read my post fight wrap-up for all info.

Return to The Rumble Room