Text Size

The Rumble Room

Andy Lee vs. Brian Vera on FNF

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Andy Lee vs. Brian Vera on FNF

Unread postby Rusty » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 am

Did anyone else see this on ESPN2 last night? Great fight.

The referee made a somewhat controversial stoppage in the 7th round, but a TKO was definitely in the works and he probably prevented Lee from any clinical brain damage... seriously, it was that bad.

It's almost unbelievable that it was the second time this year that an overhyped, undefeated Irish boxer and future opponent of Kelly Pavlik got destroyed by a relatively unknown fighter from the Contender series.

The first beatdown occurred when John Duddy faced Walid Smichet late last month. Duddy was somehow awarded a split decision, but he took a serious beating. Portions of the fight might be available on youtube.... the first two rounds were particularly brutal.

I'd like to see Pavlik fight Lockett in June, followed by a Sept bout against Arthur Abraham. If he wins both of those fights, he then faces the winner of a final four consisting of Duddy/Lee and Smichet/Vera in December.

From there, he looks into a HUGE fight vs. Joe Calzaghe sometime next summer.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:16 am

I watched it and it was great.
Andy Lee is pretty overrated and it was obvious last night.
I have seen his last 2 fights, and he looked bad in both.
The fight was stopped and for good reason like you said. Lee was lost and had no clue where he was even though he was somewhat fighting back. Manny Steward, his trainer, said he had no problem with the stoppage.

Return to The Rumble Room