Text Size

The Rumble Room

Pavlik's Next Goal: Unify 160

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Pavlik's Next Goal: Unify 160

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:24 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3250978

"My No. 1 goal since I won the middleweight title has been to unify the belts," Pavlik said. "That's been a dream of mine since I started fighting, and that's what I'd love to do now. It's something special to be the champion that everybody recognizes, and that's a life goal of mine."

----

Pavlik would be a huge favorite against the other two champions. If promoter Bob Arum can make the matches, Pavlik might be just a couple of years away from realizing his dream.

Arthur Abraham, the IBF middleweight titlist from Germany, is 25-0 in a career spent entirely in Europe. He won a unanimous decision in 2006 over Edison Miranda, the tough Colombian fighter who was knocked out last year by Pavlik in another action-packed bout. Pavlik also got the title shot expected to go to Miranda, and he then knocked out Taylor.

Felix Sturm, another German fighter, is the WBA middleweight champion, but has been largely unimpressive in his last few fights.

Loew sees Abraham as a "paper champion" who could easily be beaten, but Pavlik's next fight in 3½ months will be more about collecting another big payday and putting on another show to satisfy the fans who were thrilled by Pavlik's knockout win in his first meeting with Taylor, but didn't enjoy his tactical decision in the rematch.

A popular scenario has Pavlik fighting popular Irishman John Duddy on June 7 in New York for a matchup sure to draw a raucous sellout crowd. Top Rank also has talked to Don King about making a match with Felix Trinidad for another lucrative bout.

And after that tuneup fight, Pavlik wants to pursue Abraham for a fight in the fall. Abraham has a defense against Elvin Ayala in late March, and he could fight on the undercard of Pavlik's meeting with Duddy or Trinidad as a preview to their unification bout.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Rumble Room