Text Size

The Rumble Room

Cotto/Mosley

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Cotto/Mosley

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:05 am

Can't wait for this one. Pleased to just find out that Casamayor and Margarito are on the undercard as well.

This should be a helluva fight. Cotto, the young, determined, powerful, and unbeaten Puerto Rican welterweight champ ... versus Sugar Shane, the grizzled 36 yr old vet who's beat Delahoya twice, held multiple titles, and has lightning quick hands and that lethal snap jab.

I like Cotto in this one. But you gotta give Shane credit for a his resilience in his career. Many, including me, thought he was done after the back to back losses to Forrest. Then he came back and beat Delahoya. Then ... two tough tight losses to Winky. Again, Mosely responded with five straight wins in a row.

Estrada, Cruz, Vargas, Vargas, Colazzo

None of these guys is in Cotto's class though. Only thing that worries me about Miguel is his defense. In their epic war earlier this year, Zab Judah was able to hit and hurt Cotto. Urkal and Malignaggi as well in the fights before that one. All three fights were in the MS Garden where this one is tonight.

In the end, Cotto is too young, too strong, too aggressive.

TKO in the 8th
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:01 am

Solid, wormanlike win for Cotto last night. Entertaining fight between two great fighters ... and good to see the judges got it right.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:13 am

Excellent fight.
Not a lot of holding, just fighting, the way it should be.
Cotto is legit and might be the only guy with a shot at beating Mayweather.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:51 am

Yeah, that was a great fight. Two pros pros. Two great fighters.

Mosley has really had a nice career, and hes definitely got some gas left in the tank.

Cotto ... just continues to impress me. Looks like his next scrap will be either DeLaHoya or Mayweather. Will be interesting to see if Floyd will fight him if he beats Hatton (which he should).

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:57 am

No reason whatsoever to fight Oscar from a boxing standpoint. Money sure. but there are way too many young great fighters out there to mess around with a washed up Golden Shower Boy.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 am

In addition to being a MONSTER pay day, a win over DeLaHoya still would carry a lot of credibility with it in my view.

Joe Boxing Fan would think more of a win over Oscar than Margarito, Paul Williams, Hatton, Judah, or Cintron.

I agree with you Spoon. I don't want to see him waste his time with Oscar with some of the great young fighters out there mentioned above. But I think its likely.

Oscar said he "already knows who hes fighting in May", but won't reveal it because it would hurt his negotiating position.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:06 pm

You don't think a Mayweather vs Cotto fight would bring just as much of a payday?

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:08 pm

FightDr wrote:You don't think a Mayweather vs Cotto fight would bring just as much of a payday?

Im sorry, I meant Mayweather aside. That would clearly bring by far the biggest payday. But DeLaHoya-Cotto would be a clear second in terms of dollars and the credibility of the Cotto win.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 pm

That I agree with but again, I have no interest in it.
Cotto shouldn't either.
I know guys need to get paid but come on.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:45 pm

DeLaHoya would be an easier fight, and also a more respected win than a win over Margarito, Williams, or Hatton. No brainer if you're Miguel.

Damn did Margarito look good last night. He and Paul Williams are the wild cards in this division. When the two fought earlier this year, they both looked really good. Margarito started slow, after that it was a tight fight.

Those are the two guys no ones gonna want to face. Not big names that draw huge dollars or big respect if you beat em.

But both guys are very solid welterweights.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:57 pm

Kermit Cintron is a darkhorse, I love watching him.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Cintron too. Even the kid Mosley beat in his last fight, Collazo.

The 140-168 weight classes are loaded right now. There should continue to be a great fight every 4-6 weeks from these classes like we've seen over the last 18 months or so.

Up next? Hatton/Mayweather.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to The Rumble Room