Text Size

The Rumble Room

Toney/Rahman Tonight on HBO

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Toney/Rahman Tonight on HBO

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:40 am

I'm fired up for this one, and excited we're finally getting a decent heavyweight fight without getting fleeced outta $50.

Should be a good fight.

Toney has ressurected his career as a heavyweight after coming up as a dominating middleweight. Ring Magazine fighter of the year in '91 as a middle, and now looking to do the same 15 years as a heavy. Really a great story. A then undefeated Toney caught an ass whoopin from Roy Jones back in 1994 that derailed his career. Now he's back, and large and in charge. And he may be the best heavyweight fighter out there.

I'm praying a Toney win tonight will result in a fight with Wladimir Klitchsko, the fight I've wanted to see for some time, and a fight that will generate more pay per view receipts for any fight since Tyson/Lewis.

Rahman is an intriguing guy though. In incredible shape due to the postponements with Wlad's brother Vitali Klitschko, a fight that never took place due to injuries that ultimately drove Vitali into retirement. Rahman is 4 years younger, 4 inches taller, and has a 9" reach advantage. He's got all sorts of motivation for this one, as he knows this is his biggest stage in a while, and he's also coming off a bankruptcy filing due to poor money management.

Tough call which way I'm gonna bet tonight. Toney is -180, Rahman +140.

Should be an interesting fight.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:31 pm

Initial reaction...this is going to be ugly with this clown of a referee. Couldn't even get through prefight instructions clean.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 am

Unreal. I wonder why boxing has become a lost sport? Maybe because it is the shadiest sport in the world. I didn't even think it was as close as the HBO guys were making it, let alone for 2 judges to have it even. Rahman landed more punches, harder punches and controlled the action for a majority of the fight. But hey, at least now we get to see these two stiffs fight again, but since it will be a rematch, it will be 49.95 on PPV. I wasn't really paying attention during the scoring announcement, since it was obvious who won the fight, what did the first judge who did not score it a tie have it?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:33 am

what did the first judge who did not score it a tie have it?

117-111

I will have more thoughts a little later on this ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:54 am

Here's my thoughts.................It was a joke
James Toney is a fat fuck.
Rahman won in rout.
117-111 was right.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:18 am

I went in to this fight excited to see two of the top heavys duke it out .

I came out of it disappointed that these guys are two of the top heavys.

First off, I thought Rahman won as well. And I was heavily invested into Toney, and got a gift with the draw. I had it 115-113.

Rahman was more active, but only landed 10 more punches despite throwing 300 more. And he never even came close to hurting Toney. I've never seen a heavyweight fighter with a more undamaged face after going 12 rounds.

As the HBO announcers mentioned, Toney is one of the best defensive fighters I've ever seen despite the fact he is a fat fuck. Very good at rolling the shoulders and avoiding big shots. Hasn't been knocked out in 77 fights now, and I don't see any heavys out there capable of doing it.

That all said, Toney is a non factor for unification unless he drops 20 pounds. And even at this weight, his punching power is very weak.

Rahman was unimpressive. As Manny Steward mentioned, there are holes in his defense that any more skilled heavy would have exposed. And that was the best we're likely to see from Hasim for the rest of his forseeable career.

As always, phenomenal job calling theh fight by the HBO Crew. Manny, Lampley, Merchant are all excellent. They did a good job of explaining exactly how frustrating this was from the respect of settling nothing in the heavyweight division.

Classic post fight interviews also. Merchant basically calling Toney a fat fuck over and over again in his interview with Hasim with Toney standing right next to him. How sad is it that Rahman wasn't even pissed? Lampley broke it down well, explaining that the draw just likely earns him a rematch and more $$$. And Toney saying "No one gonna knock out James Toney except the man upstairs."

April 22, Chris Byrd/Wlad Klitchsko. Sadly, after this mess last night, these now have to be considered the top two heavys. Brewster and that 7'2 Russian also in the mix. I've always felt Wlad, with Manny Steward as his puppeteer is the most flat out talented of the lot. His chin, decision making, desire are all questionable though, even with Steward, the best trainer in boxing in my eyes.

And a helluva commentator.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:55 am

I think Rahman actually looked pretty good.
He was in the best shape that I can remember.
Toney to me is like Bernard Hopkins, I want them to go the F away.
He is FAT and sloppy. The only reason he can stay around is because the division is such a JOKE.
I love boxing but I dont know if I can bring myself to watch these Heavyweight clowns.
I was pumped too Dick, but now I am very very down on it.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 am

I think Rahman actually looked pretty good.
He was in the best shape that I can remember.

Yeah, he looked OK. But thats the best he has to offer in my view.

Back in the Lennox Lewis days, with Bowe/Holyfield/Tyson and some of the other guys I can think of 6-7 fighters much better than The Rock.

Sadly, today, he's one of the top contenders out there.

Here's what the heavyweight division needs ...

~Wladimir Klitchshko to do us all a favor and beat Chris Byrd within an inch of his life
~The Huge Russian (Nikolai Valuev) to get a big fight in America against one of these top contenders
~Toney to lose 20 lbs and make one more serious run at contention
~Brewster to beat the shit out of the Russian hes facing in Cleveland, and to get a shot at Wlad or The Big Russian
~John Ruiz to die
~Calvin Brock to continue his ascent and get a big fight on HBO or Showtime
~Samuel Peter to rebound from his loss to Wlad

Theres still some interesting story lines in the heavyweight division. Thats why I was so excited going into last nights fight.

Its just .... every time it seems like we're getting somewhere, we get something like last night.[/code]
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:22 am

My prediction:
Toney gains another 20 pounds instead of losing it.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:31 am

FightDr wrote:My prediction:
Toney gains another 20 pounds instead of losing it.

Classic line by Merchant last night ...

"No one works as hard as James Toney when it comes to sparring. Unfortunately, he works even harder in the refrigerator."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to The Rumble Room